Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Filledcrystal, The Ageless Dirt (31.12 succession)  (Read 13894 times)

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
Re: Filledcrystal, The Ageless Dirt (31.12 succession)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 02:17:33 am »

Edit the second: I made you a macedwarf, if you don't mind, Kregoth

Thats fine and thanks. looking forward to head bashing, skull breaking, and brain tearing. :P
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 01:14:06 pm »

2nd of Hematite

The statue garden/zoo in the living quarters is finished, along with the armory where kregoth can train.

12th of Malachite

Migrants! Thankfully it was only 4, so I assigned them to some extra jobs. I also ordered plump helmets to stop being brewed. I'm getting sick of nothing but wine to drink.

1st of Galena

The living quarters are done at last! Beds, cabinets, and a nice garden. I've got Analog working on smoothing down the whole place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

20th of Galena

At long last, the smiths are working. McMetal has been waiting for the magma smelters and forges to get fired up, and he's working like mad to make up for lost time. I had him make a set of iron armor for Kregoth.

7th of Limestone

Before the river freezes for winter, I had a moat dug out and a bridge built, along with two newly trained war dogs chained to the front. It's not much, but it'll keep the animals and thieves out for now.

5th of Sandstone
Got some more migrants today, bringing us up to a nice working force of 19 dwarves. I had some more beds and furnishings built for their rooms. Booze supplies are looking bad. Hopefully we can last until the outpost liason arrives...

13th of Timber

And there goes the river. Great. Just as our last barrel of booze is guzzled down, and we use up the last of our wood. Kregoth is too busy training to cut down some trees, so we'll just have to wait. Everyone else is getting antsy with nothing to drink. I ordered gems to be cut so we have something to trade if when the traders arrive

15th of Timber

Just as we were on our last leg, we were welcomed by the glorious sight of the caravans! We gave them all our gems for a cow, and some booze. Enough the get us by before we brew some more from the wood we got. I discussed things with the traders, and they've given me a list of what they want next year.

1st of Moonstone

I ordered a hospital to be dug out, along with an area for a well. It's not perfect since I'm not sure how much it'll need, but it will most likely work when winter ends.

1st of Granite

Spring is here! Whoever's next in leading this fort, here's most of what you'll need to know

Additional info: Well has yet to be built. Flood the reservoir below the hospital before removing the stairs, or else they'll do it from below. Levers are all clearly labeled, and we need wood for booze.

save can be found here:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:17:50 pm by charred_gp »

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 01:19:53 pm »

I'll grab the save, will probably update tomorrow.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 02:11:27 pm »

Looking at the caravan demands, I guess I'll be making shields in my spare time.
On another note, I need to play DF more, learn how to do things. I'm still a newbie, so I have a lot to learn.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 05:23:37 pm »

HA on my personal forts I NEVER get less than 8 migrants. I cant complain though because the skeletal walruses keep the migrants and elves out :P

P.S. do you atleast have a good supply of clothing and ropes? I hate the cloth and animal hide industry more than the medical system and military system combined.

P.S.S If you have a migrant exacution chamber I can assure you that we will never run low on clothing ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:27:25 pm by random guardian »
You see a youtube comment you dont agree with. As you type out an insult against the users mother a member of your family watches you. Fed up with your addiction to youtube and spouting random swears at people who didnt enjoy your Naruto AMV, the family member grabs your head and rams it into the screen of your computer butchering your face and electricuting you to death.

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 10:17:41 am »

Working on this now.  Actually I'm trying to remember how to remove the graphics and tileset.  I replaced the graphics directory with the default one, but that leaves me with walls that look like various accented characters which is a bit annoying.  I think I've done this before but it has been a few months.

edit: okay, I reconstructed the raw/objects directory by taking the vanilla 32.12 objects, adding the beekeeper HIVE mod files and then implementing the Higher Learning mod.  Note that I copied the entity_default.txt file from the game I downloaded because it had some changes that were in addition to the things one is supposed to add for higher learning.   The changes were:
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

so yeah those things were in the entity_default.txt that came with the save file, so I'm using them... it looks like we are a bunch of slaver cannibal dwarves.

If there are other changes to the raw objects I should know about let me know ASAP.  I don't really want to go file by file checking so I'll hold off on starting for a bit.

edit2: Hmm, well I wasn't successful in fixing all of the walls, so i just reverted to using the objects from the save I downloaded.  Nevermind all the fuss.  I'll just play with a few odd looking characters, apologies if the screenshots aren't as ascii beautiful as they might be otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:05:19 am by Pisano »

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 11:12:32 am »

Ah yes, I wanted to make my dwarves behave a bit more Fun. I figured it wouldn't be too much of a bother. And if it made our dear dorfs cannibalize their enemies during other people's games, all the better. To be honest, I did that a while ago and completely forgot. Sorry.

Edit: If you want to use your own graphics, just take your graphics folder from your raws and copy them to the save raws. Although most graphics packs already do that. Or I know phoebus does, at least...

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 11:23:34 am »

No worries about the cannibal dwarves, it should be fun.  I actually prefer straight ascii.  Various tilesets reuse some of the characters used for walls and such so many of the walls look a bit funny.  you'l see what I mean when I do my first update.

Filled Crystal

1st Granite, 203

Ah Spring, that fresh time of the year.  A time for drinking, much like the other seasons of the year.  On the face of it my predecessor was quite industrous in getting so many things set up in just one year.  Actually the entrance to this fortress is quite defensible, I heartily approve. 

But then I got the bad news... booze, only 20 bottles of booze!?!  We shall all go insane if this is not remedied at once!  The stockpile situation also seems a bit insane.  There is one very large room of stuff.

It would seem that my predecessor, the good Charred GP was also serving several of the more important functions for this fine fortress including manager, bookkeeper and broker.  I've assigned a new broker, but given the size of the fotress it makes sense for Charred GP to continue on asa both manager and bookkeeper.

Puzzling over the last notes scrawled by the former overseer I found this, "Additional info: Well has yet to be built. Flood the reservoir below the hospital before removing the stairs, or else they'll do it from below. Levers are all clearly labeled, and we need wood for booze."  Where the well should go is obvious enough.  I inspected the cistern to be and it looks as though there is a flood gate in place and that it should all work nicely.  The second part of the note is a bit puzzling, I'm not sure what to make of needing wood for booze.  Maybe he was so sick of wine that he wanted to brew some wood grain alcohol.  I'm told that moonshine is the best stuff.  Oh, no i get it.. barrels.  Yeah we have no stinking barrels.  I ordered some made out of copper and we'll cut down some elf homes I think so we can make lots more.

I started by designating something for the miners to do, digging out an expanded workshop area so we can ramp up production.  Another mondo-stockpile will be dug out as well.  I also kicked the booze production into high gear and dedicated some folks to brewing and farming.  I also opened the front gates to allow for some good old tree cutting activity.

Damn we also need raw materials ore and gems.  We have no gems and no ore right now at all, this fortress is scrapping in the dirt instead of delving deep into the stone bones of the earth.  That must change.  I desire the good stuff, silver, gold, and platinum!!!  I must haves it!

23rd Granite

Yay, migrants...19 of the lovelies. How to put them to work.  We have two new masons, is highly trained, so much so that we might even call him a master.  The other is a talented.  More masons are always a bonus.  A stone detailer came as well.  Three that showed potential I drafted into the military right away.  Oh and two more armorer/weaponsmith/metalsmith/furnace operators came.  So we now have more smiths than forges.

That means we need more housing, a lot more.

And I want to dig out a crypt, you know, just in case.  And maybe a fancy tomb for yours truly... something with magma, yes lovely fiery magma.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:35:53 pm by Pisano »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 06:46:14 pm »

@ charred_gp Lol Like how You made me totally devoted to training and nearly depriving the fortress of booze cause i don't want to make barrels haha.

Working on this now.  Actually I'm trying to remember how to remove the graphics and tileset.  I replaced the graphics directory with the default one, but that leaves me with walls that look like various accented characters which is a bit annoying.  I think I've done this before but it has been a few months.

edit: okay, I reconstructed the raw/objects directory by taking the vanilla 32.12 objects, adding the beekeeper HIVE mod files and then implementing the Higher Learning mod.  Note that I copied the entity_default.txt file from the game I downloaded because it had some changes that were in addition to the things one is supposed to add for higher learning.   The changes were:
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

so yeah those things were in the entity_default.txt that came with the save file, so I'm using them... it looks like we are a bunch of slaver cannibal dwarves.

If there are other changes to the raw objects I should know about let me know ASAP.  I don't really want to go file by file checking so I'll hold off on starting for a bit.

edit2: Hmm, well I wasn't successful in fixing all of the walls, so i just reverted to using the objects from the save I downloaded.  Nevermind all the fuss.  I'll just play with a few odd looking characters, apologies if the screenshots aren't as ascii beautiful as they might be otherwise.

Ya i wish someone would make a save converter that would return graphic tiles back to default so the next person can use whatever they want and when done just convert back to default. I am grabbing the mods for this succession now so i should be ready for my turn when your done.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 08:30:07 pm »

10th Slate

The brook thawed a while back and I finally got around to ordering the construction of the well.  For some reason I had it in my head that these all the over-eager dwarves who were walking on the brook were going to end up falling in and getting wet when the thaw came, but they don't seem phased by the water at all.  I guess it isn't moving very fast or something.

20th Slate

The well is complete, I sent a trusted dwarf, Zon or Olon or something, to pull the lever and make sure that the cistern wasn't overfilled.  He fell asleep next to the lever but woke up when the water got on his feet so no real harm was done.  That nice full cistern is so pretty that I commissioned another well to be built a few levels down by what will become my chambers when the slovenly miners get to mining it out. 

There is now a second level of housing below the first level and it will feature a few large rooms to reward former overseers as is their due.  If any nobility ever grace us we'll have to build far grander chambers for them.

13th Felsite

We've been anxiously waiting for someone to come and trade with us and it looks like we have been rewarded with some elven trading partners.  Well, maybe not rewarded, but perhaps they will have some booze or something.  I had As Norameshtan, our resident stone crafting expert, making stone goblets and other items that will no doubt delight the elves.  No doubt.

I also moved the finished goods stockpile up to the same level as the trade depot.  A new refuse pile has also been placed where it can have proper venting to the outside.  The old refuse area is right next to the butcher's shop which definitely shows some forethought, I mean I am one dwarf who doesn't mind seening cow colon go to waste after the butcher takes all the good parts.

also the mechanics have been busy creating some iron blood mist creation devices in front of the main gate.

15th Felsite

As the caravan was making its way to the gate there was some small excitemet.  Sufuduchrayngus, a kobold thief, who was kind enough to tell us her name (yes, that is obviously a female kobold name) as he tried to steal from us, attempted to sneak up through the brook.  A dog went after him and I sent the military up to chase her away.  They are bored to tears doing nothing but sparring and training all the time.  I think they enjoyed their walkabout, but the dog had long since chased the kobold away by the time they made it all the way to the surface.

OOC: It was right at this time that I realized that I don't know how to build bee hives or libraries or whatever the special mods are supposed to be for this game.  I am like 99% sure that I am just using the raws from the game I downloaded.

18th Felsite

The elven emissary wants to talk.  This can't be good.  I think he is pissed becuase he had to chase Aramco, our expedition leader and chief miner, around for two days to get an audience.  I kept giving Aramco the thumbs up as he would wander by to a new dig site with the elf at his heels asking when he would have a free moment.

After getting everything we could from the elves trader tried one last trade and accidentally he included a bin made of larch.  Now the elves are all pissy which is really pretty funny since I just made them the riches elves in the whole region.  I was trading fine stone goblets at two to one for everything they had.  The worst part of it is that they won't take the rest of this junk away so now we have to haul it back to the stockpile.

Well Ameli Eslomecorire, the elf emissary, still wants to talk.  Something about only chopping down 100 trees in the coming year.  That sounds like a nice round number, but I can't really be bothered to count.  I am pretty sure we have more than that already designated for chopping.

New housing...

This is the new housing and secondary well project that has been under way.  There are still half a dozen dwarves without a bed to sleep in, but I have them working around the clock to carve out my personal quarters so they don't miss not having a room of their own very much.  To show what a benevolent fellow I am I've set up this nice public statue garden and the site for a well here in my courtyard.  I am a really wonderful dwarf I must say.

In other news we are still really low on ore. The furnace operators are smelting everything we get as fast as we get it.  So I'm having the miners follow a veins of ore when they find it.  I'm not sure if it is possible for the pitiful excuse for miners to work any slower though.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 08:37:15 pm »

Hmmm... River near the entrance, floodgates near the trade Depot....

Oh wait, those are bins, not floodgates.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 10:35:57 pm »

Quick word on the mods: The bee mod only adds 2 animals, a giant male bee and a female. I don't know what their biome is, so the only way we would see them is migrants or trade, since I couldn't see any on embark. The library mod just adds workshops to the end of the list of workshops, so check there. Just wanted to clear up any confusion. But more likely than not, the mods just don't work because I dumped them into the save raws instead of genning a new world

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 10:41:12 pm »

The bee mod only adds 2 animals, a giant male bee and a female. I don't know what their biome is, so the only way we would see them is migrants or trade, since I couldn't see any on embark.
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]

At least that is what creature_bee.txt has from the mod source.

The mod readme also says that for the HIVE version, "Bees no longer COMMON_DOMESTIC and are more expensive."  Presumably only domestic animals can be taken on embark.

The library mod just adds workshops to the end of the list of workshops, so check there. Just wanted to clear up any confusion. But more likely than not, the mods just don't work because I dumped them into the save raws instead of genning a new world

Yeah, I don't see the workshop in the list.  So sad.  At least we are cannibals.  Will try to finish up my turn tomorrow.  I have a lot of things set in motion now so I just need to let the thing run a bit and handle any fun that happens.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 11:57:45 am »

Summer, 203

24th Hematite, 203

The bugger grabbed the craftsdwarf workshop, some pine logs, andesite, and rope reed fiber cloth. I can't imagine anything particularly inspiring can come of that.

The fortress is humming along nicely.  We're up to 200 booze and most of the dwarves have a bed.  We hit a tasty vein of copper, a lot of bandfire opal, and a few tiny veins of aluminum.  I've taken it upon my self to learn the art of gem cutting and setting now that we have some materials to work with.

Solon, one of the new dwarves in the military insists that he is a pikedwarf.  I overheard Kregoth telling him that we don't have any pikes and even if we did it would take two dwarves to use one.  Then Kregoth yelled, "It is 16 bloody feet long!  Get tha' through your thick skull."  Solon has been practicing with an axe since that tongue lashing.

1st Malachite, 203

Teachlurked the Bear of Dells, that is an insane name for what is essentially some rope wound around a pine cup.  It isn't even made of stone, how can a dwarf possibly be expected to drink out of it?  Oh and now, Olon is spouting about the existential experience he had and how he is now a legendary woodcrafter.  I can't think of anything more useless than a woodcrafter.  We're dwarves, we craft stone and metal, not wood.

We made a few glass windows today. Would that we had more sand I could really liven up the place.

9th Malachite, 203

The new cistern is being filled which will open the public well.  Further progress has been made on my chambers as well including the addition of a couple of windows. 

25th Malachite, 203

I'm not sure why he was down there, or why he didn't just walk up the ramp to safety, but Ilral somehow bled to death after being submersed in magma from the recently opened flow.  The new flow will serve two purposes.  It will fuel more magma workshops and provide some nice light for my royal tomb.  If we could recover his body it would be the first to grace Filledcrystal's new crypt.

I'll have the sketch artists draw up a picture of the crypt when it is finished.  For now it is is a roughly cut room with a few stone coffins and some copper sarcophagi.

26th Malachite

Sarvesh Taxchannel is the little guy's name.  It is as if Emen has sought to strike a balance.  One life was taken, but another was given.  All praise Emen.

This new magma flow is causing an unforeseen hiccup in production.  The existing magma smelters and forges are not getting enough magma to power them.  Most unfortunate, but I dont' see what can be done other than to endure the halt to production until the magma flow is strong enough to resume.

2nd Galena

Near disaster...

Saved by a magma safe door.

I'm still trying to figure out how we did this.  But half of our housing has been cut off.  I was wondering why the magma was taking so long to fill the lower level of the tomb when one of the dwarves came and reported that he couldn't get to his room.  He was most upset.  I guess it si a good thing we were already digging out some new rooms now.  Now to try and figure out how this could have happened. I guess I was focusing a bit too hard on encrusting furniture with gems.

I see the problem now... a carelessly designated up/down stairwell was open into the housing quarters.  After a few orders for some new digging, and some strict orders not to use the doors that lead into the magma filled corridors, we recovered half of the lost rooms, but 8 dwarves are still without a room including Aramco and Charred GP who was heard grumbling about how this would have never happened if he had been allowed to continue.

To make amends I gave Charred GP and Aramco a couple of the nice large rooms next to my own.

15th Galena

The humans have arrived.  What good stuff they have brought us?

17th Galena

We got a single bronze bar, a few caged animals for milking, some leather and cloth, and a ton of food and booze from the humans.  I was really hoping for more interesting metal and some sand so we could make some nice windows.

Production on all of the magma forges is still shut down, but the former living quarter's hall is mostly full now so we should be back up and running soon.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 02:13:21 pm »

8th Limestone, 203

The military finally saw a tiny bit of action today as they hacked apart a would-be kobold thief.

28th Limestone, 203

This should be interesting... he is a smith of all varieties, but none of our forges are online righ now due to a lack of magma... flow faster damnit.

6th Sandstone, 203

Yeah, McMetal is standing by the aluminum well acting all secretive.  I'll see if I can construct him an old fashioned forge.

10th Sandstone, 203

We constructed a charcoal powered forge and made some charcoal to power it, but McMetal just stand there looking at the well.  This may not end... well.

20th Sandstone, 203

We've begun excavation of a large chamber, perhaps something suitable for whoever the 'current' overseer is or maybe for some nobility should they ever grace us with their presence.

1st Timber

I'm not sure what that is all about

5th Timber

We're almost done construction of the great outdoor refuse pile of FilledCrystal.

this is a multi-story refuse pile with plenty of vents to allow miasma to escape... oh and we made a pattern out of the vents and floors on the top level.

8th Timber

We might have gone a bit overboard on cutting down trees.

13th Timber

McMetal snapped today and I had to send the military after him.  If only he had talked to us.  McMetal, we were there for you.  McMetal starting punching a poor dog until it bit him at which point he became enraged and grabbed it by the third left front toe.  After a minute of this tussle Solon the Pikedwarf came and hacked off bits and pieces of McMetal and the Marksdwarf Reg Aralas who wields a spear, was there stabbing the poor guy as well.  He eventually bled out after multiple wounds.

He really bloodied up the nice engraved public well/statue garden outside of my chambers. I'm a little put off by that.  Future note to all dwarves, if you are going to go insane please do it elsewhere.

It should be noted that Kregoth is unhappy now.  He simultaneously took joy in slaughter lately and lost a friend lately.   You will be sorely missed McMetal, may you rest in peace in the beautiful crypt.

In the picture you can see a little blue dwarf burying a piece of McMetal.

Oh and the forges _still_ aren't back up and running...gnn!

17th Timber

The dwarven caravan has arrived.. maybe they will have something worth trading for...

27th Timber

Today a few goblin scum tried to storm the front gate.  Lassi and Sassi, our two faithful hounds who had been chained to ropes (for over a year) at the front gate, held them off long enough for the military to get there.  The military did not fare so well however.  Solon, eager as ever, waded into the fray and ended up with several major wounds.  Reg Aralas will almost certainly die from his wounds which are too numerous to mention and Rigoth Oilglories has suffered a serious wound to the left upper arm.

Kregoth was last seen chasing the lone survivor of the ambush.

The military was in full iron armor and weapons and had been training non-stop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7