Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Filledcrystal, The Ageless Dirt (31.12 succession)  (Read 13886 times)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Filledcrystal, The Ageless Dirt (31.12 succession)
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 03:24:23 pm »

Ah, moods. They're always fun. Or Fun. Both apply here. Oh, and can I see how much damage I did to that dog?
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 04:13:34 pm »

I hope you dont make me tantrum that would not be very fun at all.

Also do i need to just have the save for the mods to work? or do i need to get them myself?
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »

Ah, moods. They're always fun. Or Fun. Both apply here. Oh, and can I see how much damage I did to that dog?
yeah you actually beat the heckout of two dogs.  I'll see if can find them but one was seriously messed up with a broken spine and the other had a few yellow injuries.  Big bully.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 04:21:23 pm »

I hope you dont make me tantrum that would not be very fun at all.

Also do i need to just have the save for the mods to work? or do i need to get them myself?

So far Kregoth is okay, just unhappy.  I put an aluminum statue in his room in hopes that it would cheer him up to have one of the most valuable objects in the fortress by his bedside.

As for the mods I don't really know how to make them work.  Charred gp suggested that because the world wasn't generated with them that they won't work.   Sad because I was looking forward to playing with beehives.

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 07:19:27 pm »

ahh your lucky I was not the one in charge. The second I see you lay a finger on one of the reusable food source dogs I would have hacked your head clean off!
You see a youtube comment you dont agree with. As you type out an insult against the users mother a member of your family watches you. Fed up with your addiction to youtube and spouting random swears at people who didnt enjoy your Naruto AMV, the family member grabs your head and rams it into the screen of your computer butchering your face and electricuting you to death.

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 09:19:50 pm »

1st Moonstone

Kregoth smote a kobold thief and then tussled with the goblin hammerman who had fled before and got the worse end of the deal.  Sadly there were no other military dwarves to back him up.

Shortly after he was struck down.

ooc: Sorry Kregoth, I thought that goblin had run off, but he waited until Kregoth was occupied with the kobold and then came after him.  If anyone wants to be re-dwarfed just let me know or post so the next in line can do it.

Thirsting for more blood the hammer gobo then struck down a cat that was out hunting fireflies, minding its own business.  He then tried to gain entry to the fort and was scarfed up by one of the cage traps.  We shall deal with him later.  Unmercifully.

15th Moonstone

The cleanup operation continues.  The dead have been buried and the three living soldiers are in the hospital.  The nurses are complaining that there are no buckets to give water to the living. I know we had some buckets around here, but there are never enough in a pinch.

Our chief medical officer Mezbuth Tithkivish is performing surgery on Reg Aralas now.  He tells me that he has read all about this before.  When pressed he admitted that he has never done anything like this.

22nd Moonstone

Rilgith Uzolanil the least injured soldier, has made a recovery, huzzah.  As such he is now the new militia commander.

23rd Opal

Any day now, that is what the magma engineers tell me when I ask them for an ETA on the magma workshops.  On the plus side we actually have a surplus of ore to be smelted should the furnaces ever come back online.  The magma levels are 3 or so under the forges.

1st Obsidian

I finally gave the miners a break for the last few days and Random Guardian decided to throw a party at the public well.  Looks like a dorfmas party since it is in Obsidian.

12th Obsidian

I think I was hasty in appointing Rigoth to the position of Militia Commander.  He keeps wandering around and when I asked him what he was up to he said in a zombie-like voice, I'm waiting for combat training.  I think he misses Kregoth something fierce.

20th Obsidian

After the debacle that was our last engagement with the goblins I've been told that I'm out of a job.  This is fine with me as I'm content to continue cutting and encrusting gems full time.

24th Obsidian

The wheels, are coming off the track a bit, another goblin ambush chased a couple of our stalwarts, including Charred GP.  We were just trying to clean up some of the garbage right on our own bridge and the stupid dwarves decided to run away instead of running behind the nice cage traps. 5 goblins were caged and one was torn apart by a weapon trap, but one hammer gobo is chasing the two dwarves down the brook.  We'll see who is more fleet of foot.

25th Obsidian

I think you know what happened next...

When it was evident that the dwarves could not escape the hammer gobo, Charred GP turned and stood his ground to let some random cook dwarf escape.

it didn't end well for Charred GP.

26th Obsidian

Reg Aralas succumbed to infection today and Charred GP finally gave up the ghost.  I've ordered the front gates shut. The random cook, of course, is trying to recover Charred's corpse so he will be the next casualty.

This is where we stand at the end of the year.

A few things the next overseer could consider:

- The magma forges are on the verge of being operational again, so close..sigh.  I really screwed the pooch on the magma forges and lost about half of the year.
- The military needs some serious love, serious.
- Perhaps some secure outdoor farms.
- Exploratory mining for more valuable stuff, we need bronze and steel for the military in particular.
- We have a ton of housing, probably two or three dozen rooms that are empty and waiting
- The booze is decent, but more is always better.
- There are a number of places in the housing that were meant for windows, but with the forges off line I never got a chance to make them.
- All of the stuff right in front of the entrance is forbidden, as is Charred GP's corpse.  The random cook's corpse is not forbidden i don't think as I'm not sure where he died exactly.

Save here.

The map is here.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:44:45 pm by Pisano »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:06 pm »

ooc: Sorry Kregoth, I thought that goblin had run off, but he waited until Kregoth was occupied with the kobold and then came after him.  If anyone wants to be re-dwarfed just let me know or post so the next in line can do it.

You let me die? sheesh Now I have to possess a new military dwarf :( did I at least do damage to the goblin before he bashed my head in?

A few things the next overseer could consider:

- The magma forges are on the verge of being operational again, so close..sigh.  I really screwed the pooch on the magma forges and lost about half of the year.
- The military needs some serious love, serious.
- Perhaps some secure outdoor farms.
- Exploratory mining for more valuable stuff, we need bronze and steel for the military in particular.
- We have a ton of housing, probably two or three dozen rooms that are empty and waiting
- The booze is decent, but more is always better.
- There are a number of places in the housing that were meant for windows, but with the forges off line I never got a chance to make them.
- All of the stuff right in front of the entrance is forbidden, as is Charred GP's corpse.  The random cook's corpse is not forbidden i don't think as I'm not sure where he died exactly.

well my turn huh? ok I'll try my best with those forges and probably extend our outdoor defenses to catch ambushers quicker sense they seem to be causing most the death right now. and doing that will allow outdoor farms as well.  I'll probably make a wood training spear room for our military. probably build the lever in the nobles room that the nobles only job is to pull that lever hahaha.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 09:52:07 pm »

You let me die? sheesh Now I have to possess a new military dwarf :( did I at least do damage to the goblin before he bashed my head in?

:(  sorry man, I thought that goblin was gone and a kobold thief is not much of a threat by itself.

well my turn huh? ok I'll try my best with those forges and probably extend our outdoor defenses to catch ambushers quicker sense they seem to be causing most the death right now. and doing that will allow outdoor farms as well.  I'll probably make a wood training spear room for our military. probably build the lever in the nobles room that the nobles only job is to pull that lever hahaha.

Yeah, you'll need to draft a new military and maybe disband and reform the current squad.  It looks like they were set to train non-stop and they weren't especially happy about it.  Good luck with it, I'm glad someone with some interest in the military is taking over.  Just keep making booze and the fortress should be able to stay shut until a new military is put back together.

Again, sorry for the deaths, those last two dwarves were only about 5 steps outside the front gate when that ambush showed up and they just ran the wrong way sadly.

edit: one more thing, the magma workshops are hovering between 3 and 4 magma under them so hopefully within a month they should have power full time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:00:57 pm by Pisano »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 11:45:41 pm »

:(  sorry man, I thought that goblin was gone and a kobold thief is not much of a threat by itself.
No problem it considered the norm for succession games with forum named dwarfs lol.

Yeah, you'll need to draft a new military and maybe disband and reform the current squad.  It looks like they were set to train non-stop and they weren't especially happy about it.  Good luck with it, I'm glad someone with some interest in the military is taking over.  Just keep making booze and the fortress should be able to stay shut until a new military is put back together.

Again, sorry for the deaths, those last two dwarves were only about 5 steps outside the front gate when that ambush showed up and they just ran the wrong way sadly.

edit: one more thing, the magma workshops are hovering between 3 and 4 magma under them so hopefully within a month they should have power full time.

Most likely once i get the game up (just finished watching a movie lol haven't downloaded yet) I will probably set up small 3 man squads 1 teacher 2 recruits and once the recruit is skilled enough turn him to a teacher and give him 2 new recruits to deal with. it can be a pain managing the squads like that but they train 10x faster.

Just checked the map I might expand the magma canal you made a bit.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:47:51 pm by Kregoth »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2010, 02:04:24 am »

Granite

I knew this day would come the day that everyone within our humble abode would ask me to rule this hole in the ground so that I may turn it into a fortress, one that even those makeshift gods of theirs could not destroy. But for some god forsaken reason beyond my control some dubious idiot got my body smashed by a dirty ass green skinned freak. So now I must wonder these halls and possess every drunken member of this place to do my work for me. Perhaps I will take the soul of a member of our militia or maybe even the captain of the guard, When we have one that is, our military is thin and weak. I am going to have to shape these boys into dwarf gods.

As the newly appointed leader, err ghost leader. My first job is to do some modifications to our front entrance near our trade depot. Someone decided that it would be smart to stick our barracks way down below, great if there was a cavern below are feet, but there isn't right now. I am going to create a new barracks at the top to increase response time to ambushers. I am also going to create some training rooms that will train our soldiers how to use a shield, how to dodge, and there armor use. Once that is finished I plan on doing some drafting to those unlucky peasants down there.

I first dug out an area near the stockpile next to the depot. It's all soil but I plan on making the barracks a nice place that will make our men happy when training and getting stabbed by blunt wooden spears all day. I will place a few nice statues and some nice floors. I also am going to widen our outdoor defense network so that we don't get easily surprised by goblins. I am not sure who decided to park our wagon in this odd place but it does give us a nice hidden feel. I think what I will do once our militia is a bit better suited for battle is widen our entrance and build a wall on the top of our fortress so we can have men outside working on crops and not getting stabbed by ambushers.

I noticed down below we have some magma forges almost ready for smelting operations. I hope that magma canal below fills soon. I have also order our 2 best miners to stop working on the farms they are miners damn it not farmers. I plan on having them do some exploratory mining to find us some more ores and gems.

That is all I have to report for now
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:09:12 am by Kregoth »

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:59 am »

I noticed down below we have some magma forges almost ready for smelting operations. I hope that magma canal below fills soon. I have also order our 2 best miners to stop working on the farms they are miners damn it not farmers. I plan on having them do some exploratory mining to find us some more ores and gems.
Yeah, during the last month or so I didn't have any more digging, so I assigned the miners hauling and farming duty.  There were a couple of other dwarves that had been on specialized duty as well who were converted back to their normal jobs + hauling.  One last thing, I forgot to put a note, but the dump sites are all in the workshop area near the carpenter and stone crafting shops.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 09:25:04 am »

Can I reclaim a wrestler next? I'd really like to see stories of me beating the crap out of goblins with my bare hands.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 10:37:22 pm »

Slate

Nothing much more happened during the month of granite except for the marble layer I uncovered during our exploratory mining with a nice amount of malachite clusters in them. luckily the magma forges have enough magma beneath them that we can start smelting the malachite and get some steel made soon.

It looks like a dwarven child has become possessed and claimed a craftdwarfs shop. He grabbed some fox bones in our animal pile and now is screaming about stone rocks.. oddly we have plenty of stone laying around but I am unsure of which kind he is hoping for. I sure hope this child does not go insane on us. With the front bridges open I am unsure of what may linger outside but hopefully we will have some merchants arriving soon.

8th of Slate
We had a large wave of migrants come in today 23 in total I opened the bridge to let them all in. none of them had any real high amounts of experience but we did have 2 skilled wrestlers come in so I added them to a squad along with a peasant to get some training done. The training room isn't finished yet. the miners are still busy getting our malachite veins we found dug out. Soon though we should get them into some decent armor I have two of the magma shops smelting malachite and producing pig iron. Hopefully before winter comes we should have an army all wearing nicely made steel armor.

I had the craft shops to make some wooden training spears and had the mechanic make a few more mechanism sense i used a bunch to add some more cage traps to our entrance. I am going to build a room near the front entrance that will house all the blocks/stone needed to make our outer walls once I have enough of them. which should speed up the process of building them. I also have caged all the migrants damned animals they brought they where clogging the entrance up.

I have assigned a mew manager so we can get the production order I made finalized and approved. I also unforbid all the armor that was laying outside that was lost in the basttle previously. I also order more trees to be cut down just so we will have a large stockpile of wood.

Oh as for the kid he still yammering on about some stupid rocks he wants. I am not about to go digging up every damn stone to find what he wants. I wont flinch having to put him out of his misery if he can't find it.

23rd of slate

That kid final found his stone. he made a stupid damn fox bone crown sheesh such a waste I wish that kids mother would spank him for taking our craftdwarfs shop hostage.

I have finally decided on the plans for the wall to be built. looking at the layout of the terrain I noticed it isn't going to be easy making a decent looking wall th wraps our fort. I think what I will do is wall in part of the brook as well. And create another bridge somewhere along the path so we can let traders in when needed and probably add more traps behind that area as well.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:44:18 pm by Kregoth »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2010, 11:24:16 pm »

Felsite

Its the last month of spring and the elven caravan has arrived I am unsure of what they have to offer for me but there better be something good. Most the trade goods elfs bring are just a bunch of useless junk normally. Perhaps they will have some large tamed animals for me.

The wall is coming along nicely. the bridge on the east side of the brook is complete as well as the wall on the other side of the brook. The upper wall is almost complete. It is not the most elegant design but for what it worth it will block out invaders and force them through the brook where I plan on setting up more traps.

Of course the damn stinky bastards want us to reduce our wood cutting. I will agree to it but I am in no way going to keep that promise if I need the wood. In an "accidental" over site I "accidentally" marked a wooden bin for trade that had all the crafts and toys made inside them. They where not happy and refused to trade there goods. So in a manner of "apology" I seized the animals they where trading which where a Chimpanzee, a tiger, and a lion, and my favorite a tigerman who I let out of the caged after purchase.

20th of Felsite

As I was negotiating with the elf a thief was found by one of the wondering kitties who was quickly killed but in turn scared the thief of who began running away. Shortly after 2 more where spotted by some masons luckily they just fled and vacated the area. After witnessing this I decided it would be best to close of the bridge sense the walls are finished. I placed a new lever inside the dining hall and hook it up to the bridge.

Summer has now arrived and so far most my construction projects have been finished. This season has been good so far with only the death of a kitten.

((sorry for being so slow I haven't been feeling well for the past few days. It has effected my will to play but I just finally started felling better. so hopefully tomorrow I will do my best to finish my turn.))
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:27:40 pm by Kregoth »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 03:49:54 am »

Hematite

I ordered some charcoal to be made so we can have pig iron made. Hopefully we can find something the can be smelted into steel soon. The training trap room is coming a long nicely. It is slow to make because I keep having to wait for mechanisms to be made. As for the rest of the month of Hematite nothing special happened sadly it was just a boring month of designations and mechanism creations for traps.
Malachite

Most of malachite has been the same I believe I am about half way though of finishing up our spear trap training room. Once it is finished we should have a troops quickly raising in skills making our force much more deadly.

18th Malachite

A gem cutter has withdrawn from society and has decided to take over one of our jewelers shops. Then began running around and picked up a rough topaz. Maybe he will create a perfect topaz. Only a few days later did he come out with a topaz scepter with a net worth of 48,000. And with that he has risen to a legendary gem cutter. I will have to encrust some finished goods with his cut gems. hopefully it will make them worth a bit more and better sooted for trade.

I decided to reclaim the fallen items that where outside sense now we are protected within our walls. Although almost everything where just scraps of cloths from goblins and a few of our dead.

Sadly the tigerman I had has died of thirst. For some damn reason even though I ordered him to be released from his cage none of the dwarfs actual let him out. When they finally got around to letting him out he died nearly instantly from starvation.

Galena

the citizens have elected a mayor. it is Sidon Udibakum He was furious that he had no decent bedroom or office to be had. but sense I didn't know or care for the little runt I decided to give the actual position so Pisanoa. it was also much more convenient because he already owned such nice rooms just needs a tomb now.

I also finally decided it was a good time to possess a dwarf permanently I have taken it upon myself to become the Capitan of the guard using the body of a very skilled warrior. Although he is a she I am not complaining her weapon skills are somewhat lacking but she is one of our most skilled dodgers.

17th of Galena

The human caravan has arrived so I had to lower the bridge to let them in. lets just hope no goblins decide to visit during this time.

Damn stupid humans decided to come in from the very opposite side of the area causing them to have to make quite a hike in order to unload at our depot. Which cause them to do just as I predicted. Reveal a group of Goblins that where attempting to ambush us. Luckily it was far from the bridge so I just ordered it closed again and let the caravan deal with them.

They where able to drive of the ambush but not without a few losses. One of the mules got a bolt firmly logged in it's stomach and it is constantly puking it guts out. There was a dwarf among the Goblins it has taken some serious injuries and is passing out on the field he then quickly died after. After the rest of the ambushers ran off I opened the bridge again to let the caravan in. once all are in its closing time again until they are ready to leave. I guess the fight they had and loosing one of there mules pissed them off. They didn't ask us what we would like for next years trade. I guess they expect us to know when there an ambush or something. damn surface dwellers.

I traded some crafts for a few bronze weapons. Sadly they had no armor us dwarfs could use they where all to large. oh well we got some weapons.

Summer has ended the human caravan is still here I hope they leave soon. The training room has all the traps hooked up except 2 but i still need a good 5 more traps that need to be placed. I also plan on doing some more mining deeper down for this season. I hope i find more valuable ore soon.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:53:00 am by Kregoth »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7