Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dealing with double Loam/Sandy Aquifer Layer  (Read 8226 times)

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with double Loam/Sandy Aquifer Layer
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:04:57 am »

So I used the collapse method to breach the first Aquifer level of sand, But the second layer is also sand and a aquifer. I can't smooth sand so I failed when I set my pumps to work on it. if the second layer had been stone of some sort it wouldn't of been a problem. Pump and smooth kinda tedious but it does work well. can I build something over the sandy tiles to make them stop flooding or is my best bet to channel them out and build a floor where the aquifer use to be (which I believe is doable but really hard to nail down a method) as you have to build down into open space and semi flooded space.

Okey so I need suggestions I pride myself on surviving on biomes that are really crappy.
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with double Loam/Sandy Aquifer Layer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:48:57 am »

I have pierced multiple layer aquifers with a variation on the collapse method that uses concentric rings which can be used to pierce aquifers of any depth.   Instead of dropping a solid square of walls into the aquifer layer, you drop a ring, then pump out the water, go down and dig out the next aquifer layer like you did the first, and drop a smaller ring into that.  The only real technical part of this method is that you have to drop the larger, outer ring first, which means you have to construct a means of support that will keep the inner part hanging while you drop the outer part.  I accomplished this by first of all embarking with some stone for mechanisims (for a lever and links to supports), then built a floor on the z level above ground level extending across the rings, then built supports below that on each ring.  I hope this makes sense  :-[
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:51:06 am by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:11:05 pm »

after I few reads I think I understand, Haven't used levers with supports before but I'll give this method a shot.

When you bring down the first ring and it drops into the sandy aquifer, then you pump out the water inside the ring.. what keeps the aquifer from just refilling it, ? I means sure the sides are now a safe zone but center should still be producing water doesn't it ? 

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:35:45 pm »

after I few reads I think I understand, Haven't used levers with supports before but I'll give this method a shot.

When you bring down the first ring and it drops into the sandy aquifer, then you pump out the water inside the ring.. what keeps the aquifer from just refilling it, ? I means sure the sides are now a safe zone but center should still be producing water doesn't it ?

You still channel out the whole square like you would do with the simple collapse method, so there are no tiles to produce water inside the ring.  After dropping the ring you should be left with a pool of water that you pump out in order to access the bottom so you can channel out the next layers square, etc..

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:38:43 pm »

I think I will go through the process tonite after work and take screenshots and post them so that it will make a little more sense.  Probably put it on the wiki as well if I can make it understandable.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:53:38 pm »

Thank you for the info, I'll give this method a crack after work.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 11:37:15 pm »

So, I went to do a practice run on this and totally forgot to bring extra stone, all I embarked with was an anvil and 2 copper nuggets and a bunch of doggies.  At first I thought all was lost, but I started thinking and it all became clear...

And here is what I did to punch through a double layer aquifer with nothing but 2 copper nuggets, and anvil, and a pack of dogs:

1:  Deconstructed wagon, built carpenter shop and made 2 training axes, then chopped some wood.

2: Built wood furnace from 1 copper nugget and made some charcoal, deconstructed furnace.

3: Built smelter from copper nugget and smelted the 2nd nugget, deconstructed smelter.

4: Built forge from copper nugget and anvil, forged copper pick from copper bar.

Now I had a pick and some wood, but how do I rig something to safely drop these rings of dirt with no mechanisms?  Wood... I have tons of wood, how can I use wood??

Here is what I came up with:

Here is Z+1, more on what is going on with the funny floors in the next caption

Here is Z 0.  Floors on the Z level above are built between the walls on this level, the one on the left to support the outer ring, and the one on the right to support the center plug.  I also have not channeled out the 2 tiles in the middle of the top edge, those I channeled right before dropping, channeling the lower one first then the upper one, so as to not trap any dwarves.

Here is Z-1, showing the ring and plug.  Not much special here...

And here is Z-2, with the area channeled out ready to drop the outer ring.  The channeled tile on the bottom is for drainage, and for somewhere to pump the water after dropping the ring.

So there was the setup.  My plan was to deconstruct the southernmost walls supporting the ring and plug to drop them, keeping the dwarves far enough away from the hole to not get sucked in, which worked quite well in the end:

Heres Z0 after channeling the supports and deconstructing the leftmost wall.

And here is Z-2, with the pump constructed and all the water pumped out.

After this I built a staircase to get down and channel the area out for the plug to fall into:

So I deconstruced the right wall, dropping the center plug in, then pumped the water out again and dug my staircase down to the tasty stone!

Any questions?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:36:41 am by gtmattz »

Rasta69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:13:26 am »

gtmattz, something very dwarfy, yet very pracitcal! Very well done. Hermits everywhere will thank you for this contribution of Dwarven Science
Carp and elephants and magma oh my!

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:59:40 am »

I'm in love.  <3
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 05:36:19 am »

You should throw this on the wiki

Yuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 06:40:41 am »

???Chopping down trees with wooden axes? ???

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 06:48:08 am »

A wooden adze with a sharpened stone tied to it was a traditional primitive woodworking tool, and capable of eventually cutting down a tree.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11:50 am »

A wooden adze with a sharpened stone tied to it was a traditional primitive woodworking tool, and capable of eventually cutting down a tree.
Yeah, but these are training axes... they have dull, wooden edges.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 07:24:44 am »

Yeah, but these are training axes... they have dull, wooden edges.
And they will continue to work until the tools in the game are expanded to take into account the material the tool is made of.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 08:13:30 am »

This was already in the wiki:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Aquifer
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya/HowtoDualAquifer

The DF2010 Aquifer page rather annoyingly does not carry over this information.
Pages: [1] 2