Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: Dominions 3 PBEM  (Read 42760 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 PBEM
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2010, 09:26:56 am »

Jepetto sat in his garden, babbling incomprehensibly. Together with one of the Elludian mages, who was once tasked with mindhunting the bird commanders, they seemed to inhabit a different world - a world where speaking with only consonants, gnawing on your own(and others') shoes and rolling in one's feces were acceptable modes of behaviour.
The attendants tasked with caring for the feebleminded, yet still the Only True God, shook their heads in grief and sorrow. People of Agartha, when left without the divine guidance, suffered greatly.

The Caelian riding parties were ravaging the countryside, burning temples, soiling the roofs, and lobing thunders at unexpecting civilians.

At the capital of Arcoscephale, the fortress assault ended with a ridiculous disaster - after killing another incarnation of the crazed Nightguest(who did manage to scare away everybody but one of the Pinocchios), the marble oracle proceeded towards the two lowly mages and a holy statue, who bravely refused to retreat despite the slaughter they have witnessed.
And the Pinocchio lumbered forward.
And then he walked some more.
Then he chased a pair of snails, but gave up after half an hour.
Finally, he got to the statue and promptly dismantled it. Then he got to the first of the mystics, and brought divine justice onto his bald head.
Then he turned towards the last remaining mage, made two steps and ran out of juice, thereby making the mystic the luckiest guy in the world.
(If only he had used Duracell...)

Meanwhile, at the walls of the capital of Caelum, Vidar(the excentricaly named, heroicaly tough, blind statue), Pinocchio 10 and Pinochio 15 were drinking some beer.
-"For the love of Jepetto", said Vidar, "this is boring as hell. We're never gonna chip those walls by ourselves."
-"Aye, we hear you" said the Pinocchios.
-"How about two of us visit the neighbouring province, where some birds and something called Queen of Elemental Air, is residing, and have some fun? We only need one of us here to keep the stupid birds in their cages."
-"What a splendid idea!" Exclaimed Pinocchio 15. "Let me show you the way then. We're gonna bbq those chickens, eh?"

Later that month:

Vidar: Oh shit! Something is killing me!
Pinocchio 15: Mommy!

Pinoccio 10: Fucking losers, leaving me here to deal with this shit. Oups, here goes my head...

Also sounds like one of those situations where the quick, adaptable human mind came into play...  And also where it needs to come into play again.
It's an immense pleasure to fight against an adaptable player, and Lorak sure learns fast, and well. It's only the more rewarding when you finally manage to come up with a successful counter-strategy(and it hurts less when you lose, I guess).
To be honest, at this point I'm pretty much at loss as to how to counter the bugger. I felt for a while now that the Pinocchios were geting increasingly obsolete, but I just couldn't think of any better strategy than just to make more of those.

ed: Damn, I'm realy getting depressed here.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:53:27 pm by Il Palazzo »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2010, 04:32:18 pm »

I'm going to start gathering people for a new game(yes, I really like Dominions 3), which'll start probably after New Year, maybe sooner.
Here's the thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72919.0
Feel free to join at your leisure.

(Lorak, your attendance is compulsory)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:40:46 pm by Il Palazzo »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2010, 09:32:03 pm »

The tale of Terentius.
Dramatis personae:
Spoiler: Zantharon (click to show/hide)

Long ago, when Pantokrator still ruled over the world, Terentius was just a lowly Pythian priest, going on about his usual priestly duties, selling indulgences and listening to women confessing their unfaithfulness.
One day, however, a foreigner arrived, dressed in strage clothing, wearing a fabulously outrageous hat, and speaking with weird accent. He introduced himself as Zantaron the Dust King, and offered Terentius a chance of ascending to the Paradise, where 666 teenage virgin girls were eagerly waiting for their defloration.
The only condition was that, should they ever meet again, Terentius would have to serve the Dust King for a century and a day.
The priest thought to himself: "Well, if I'm going to Paradise, then I shan't see the bugger ever again, so what is there to lose?" And so, he accepted. Zantaron spoke words of power, and Terentius found himself being spirited away to his promised land, where he grew wings, learned to play the tube and found out that he was gay.

Centuries passed for Terentius in angst and sexual frustration. Thus, one day, when he heard of some Pythian mages trying to bring celestial creatures back to the mortal world, to help them battle some evil nation, he eagerly jumped at the occasion, and appeared to the callers in as much divine glory as he could muster.

The mages were happy that the spell worked, and after giving Terentius(who now called himself "the Ascended") lots of top-of-the-line gear, send him to do battle.
Thus his career as a Pythian Supercombatant begun.

It was during one of many assaults on the province called the Sweep, when he met Zantaron again.
Spoiler: The meeting (click to show/hide)
The Dust King was less fleshy, and more bony than he remembered him, but he was still wearing his staple hat, and so, was immediately recognizable. They stood there, in the heat of battle for a moment, when finally Zantaron spoke:
-YOu’Re MY biTCh NOW!
Spoiler: And so he was. (click to show/hide)

During the same battle, a new weapon was field tested for the first time - the Twin Spear. It was supposed to summon lesser horrors at a press of a button:
Zantaron: FucKIn' I caN'T TurN tHis shIT OFF!!
After witnessing the battle raging thus for around six rounds after all the Pythians have already left, all present agreed that the weapon was a deeply flawed design.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2010, 01:51:05 am »

I was wondering at one point about the possibility of getting someone horrormarked, and then hanging around in a deeply magical, unfortunate province until a horror attacked.  Just the thought of suiting up a so-called 'Horror Hunter' to battle the evils from beyond the veil...  What all would be needed to defend someone against such an assault?

Well, they're magical beings, which means they can be targeted by a lot of fancy spells and equipment.  However, they also have huge defense and unmatched resistance to magic, so those are kinda out.  Trying to suit up a supercombatant to go toe-to-toe with one would be a hilariously bad idea due to the special weaponry of the horrors (and the aforementioned combat skills), so what would work against these fiends?

Well, so far as I can tell...  Lightning.

Horrors have a lot of protection, magic resistance, health...  All things that mean nothing to lightning.  And they have no shock resistance.  If you've got someone with really good precision, a short-range blast of Orb Lightning could seriously injure (if not outright annihilate) even the large-size horrors.  The Big Six are, of course, creatures of profound destruction and as such would be more difficult...  But still, that's a lot of power to shrug off.

Beyond that, Air and Blood magic combine wonderfully for this endeavor.  Storm demons do a good job of pumping out some lovely zappery, Rings of Warning let you double the number of bodyguards in assassination attempts, Bag of Winds lets you start combat out with another supercharged friend (while also increasing your own...  'Potential')...  And that's not even mentioning the Robe of the Magi, which is a treat unto itself.  You could even put in a Lifelong Protection contract to keep horrors preoccupied while they try to get at you.

...yeah, I think of a lot of strange things.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 17, 2010, 06:09:49 am »

The tale of Terentius.
Dramatis personae:
Spoiler: Zantharon (click to show/hide)

One day, however, a foreigner arrived, dressed in strage clothing, wearing a fabulously outrageous hat, and speaking with weird accent. He introduced himself as Zantaron the Dust King, and offered Terentius a chance of ascending to the Paradise, where 666 teenage virgin girls were eagerly waiting for their defloration.
The only condition was that, should they ever meet again, Terentius would have to serve the Dust King for a century and a day.
The priest thought to himself: "Well, if I'm going to Paradise, then I shan't see the bugger ever again, so what is there to lose?" And so, he accepted. Zantaron spoke words of power, and Terentius found himself being spirited away to his promised land, where he grew wings, learned to play the tube and found out that he was gay.

lol -- You actually forged that crazy thing!? And got it to Charm an angel without any penetration boosters!?

Hah, penetration boosters; Not really Zantaron's style, likes to keep it leathery. *cough*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 17, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »

Maybe he'll use some extra lube when he'll be dealing with those Caelian drag Queens.

Disaster!

• Bay Watcher
  • Criminal Scum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 17, 2010, 04:03:49 pm »

Well, I'm boned!

Terentius was supposed to be the Pinocchio slayer but now he's going to fight alongside them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:06:34 pm by Disaster! »
At some time in the future, the civilisation generator will acheive the complexity for self-awareness and independent thought.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2010, 03:20:06 am »

What's that burning curse symbol on Zantaron's profile?  I don't believe I've had the pleasure of encountering it before.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2010, 03:34:12 am »

It's "fire power", I believe.

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2010, 10:55:11 pm »

Sorry for the wait fellows. I assumed I'd sent the turn a day ago and I apparently got it mixed up with other stuff on the out.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 19, 2010, 08:07:59 am »

C'tis and Mictlan seem to be gone with the wind.

If there's anybody out there who'd like to take the reins of any one of those nations(what a challenge!), give us a shout.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 19, 2010, 09:16:20 am »

That's too bad.

They both have a good chance of winning, or at least doing well, with the rest of the Human world busy fighting.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 19, 2010, 11:51:54 am »

I could step in as C'tis and play some turns.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 19, 2010, 12:48:30 pm »

I could step in as C'tis and play some turns.
O.k. then. PM me your email address, and I'll hand C'tis over to you.

If nobody takes Mictlan by the end of this hosting period, I'll set them on AI.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 19, 2010, 06:00:13 pm »

I'll snag Mictlan for the win!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32