Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: For Queen and Country!  (Read 12451 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For Queen and Country!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:56 pm »

Feel free to edit any part of this for balance and/or stylistic reasons.

Name: Edward von Rammstein
Faction: Technomancers(Tinker)

Earth: 4 (Emerging from the Rubble)
{Surviving disasters such as explosions and collapses, generally things that are not targeting me directly}
Fire: 3 (Surprise!)
{acting before others expect you to, being in an unexpected location. Generally enigmatic...}
Air: 7 (Natural Structures)
{like creature lore, geological lore, bug lore, and plant lore but without names, distributions, and little in the way of behaviour, pretty much only how they are built...)
Water: 4 (Stealth)

Powers: 1
0() Friend to Air: You do not fall as swiftly as others. This reduces injuries from falling and makes survival possible from a fall of any height.
2(f,v) Tactile Design: Designs are obvious, and tools are ideal. By concentrating you may become aware of, and able to subtly manipulate, the structure of an object that you are touching.
{I want to eventually build this to the point that I can perfectly learn the contents of something and duplicate and/or improve it just by touching it. I would expect this to take quite a few points. Please edit it until it is suitable...}

Possessions:
 Padded Armour
 Double-Barrelled Shotgun(partially dismantled)
 2 scatter rounds for shotgun
 Tinkering tools
 Silver pocket-watch
 Magnifying monocle
 Duffel Bag
 Assorted mechanical parts.

Background/Personality: Born as an aristocrat in a minor European noble house, Edward was never interested in politics or society and would spend much of his time hiding on the estate, studying nature, and generally playing in the gardens. He was disinherited in a political manoeuvre and managed to move to London and buy a position in the Technomancers' Guild by selling all of his possessions except a silver pocket-watch. Which was a gift from his grandfather and bears the family crest. It has always bore a certain fascination and sentimental value to Edward, and was his inspiration for joining the Technomancers' Guild.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »

There's too many people with a proper noggin' here. We need a headstrong idiot!

Name: Util Fredreck
Faction: Clockworkers (Assistant)

Earth: 8 (Like the Mountain) (+1 natural armor, 1/3 chance of another +1 per damage taken)
Fire: 4  (Unshakable) (Very resilient to being knocked-down)
Air: 3  (Unmoved) (Has exceptional self-control and mental fortitude when doing nothing)
Water: 3 (Savior) (Has a chance of deflecting damage from an ally to himself if either he or the ally is severely injured)

Powers:
0 Resilient (Small bonus to all resistance checks)
(fv) Clockwork Cybernetics (Can have up to three specialized devices linked up to his brain, providing a wide range of potential benefits.)

Possessions:
-Tough leather suspenders
-Stripped cotton shirt
-Tough leather vest
-Clockwork Computer (Note: I call these things clockwork, but in actuality they're not actually made of clockwork, or at least not primarily. I just use the term for simplicity.)
 *Clockwork Eye (Allows Util to vaguely see outside the normal human spectrum)
 *Electric Chaos Reducer (Helps with the spasms)
 *Unused

Background/Personality: Util has always been a resilient one. His mother told him once that, when he was born, the nurse dropped him upon his head, yet he seemed barely phased. Then, later that same day, a textbook on a nearby shelf was knocked over and fell directly on him yet he suffered only a large bruise. Stories like this inundate Util's past, and he has been scared more times then he can count. Yet every hit he took seemed to simply glance off him, be it through luck, natural armor, or some other unexplained force. Some who know him believe it is through this painful past that Util earned his lack of intellect, though others blame his unknown father.

Despite his idiocy, however, his exceptional ability to take a punch has earned him numerous and varied jobs over the years, including, but not limited to, dog training dummy, mine worker, cart puller and, most recently, the assistant of a very clever Clockworker and former Technomancer.

Of particular note is a somewhat recent injury; his head became trapped while working within one of the Clockworker's larger projects and crushed much of the right half of his skull. Though his skull was shattered and most of his brain's right hemisphere was rendered inoperable, he still managed to survive thanks to the quick actions of the Clockworker, who drilled a metal plate over the damaged portion of his skull. Though now partially retarded, Util still survives.

Of course, it didn't take long for the Clockworker's clever old brain to begin conjuring up ideas for this new opportunity. He had always been fascinated with the workings of the brain, and had always wanted to try improving it through technology. Unfortunately for Util, this would mean nearly a full year of long, often painful experimentation, much of which left him in a worse state then before. But one day, the Clockworker finally did something right, and successfully implanted a simple yet versatile clockwork computer directly into his brain. Though its functions are limited and the linkages between brain and machine not quick perfect, the computer can be outfitted on-the-fly with a few different devices at once.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:41:28 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 11:00:23 pm »

-snip-
you do know you have average intelligence?
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Jabberwock

• Bay Watcher
  • International Man of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 11:36:44 pm »

I'd like to join.

Name: Rin Shizuka
Faction: Civilian (Foreigner)

Earth:   5 (Japanese Sword Mastery)
Fire:    5 (Reflexes)
Air:    4 (Understanding Languages)
Water:   4 (Anticipating Actions)

Powers:
0 - Stoic.
  Similar to cold, showing little emotions, speaking almost none.
   (Harder to guess his action)
1 (v) - Trustworthy Stranger.
  Protected from cold, an outsider that's inside, few people know him.
   (Few people know him, but people will trust him)
1 (f) - Quickened Healing
  Snow covers the land, hiding the problems from view, healing the landscape.
   (He'll heal sevenfolds faster)

Possessions:
-Father's Katana
-Dark Blue Kimono with obi
-A couple of coins from Japan

Background:
Outcast to his kind, had to escape to survive, now at a strange place. Left with no honor, with a weapon that's not his, but is not a thief. He's not a coward, he's not a villianios man, he tries to do good.

Doret

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm an Alien Roomba....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 11:44:19 pm »

I hope no one minds that such a New person like me wishes to join.

Name: Dareen Fil Meagret
Faction: Civilian, Other(Vagabond)

Earth: 3 (Long Distance Running)
Fire: 3 (Acrobatics)
Air: 4 (Disguise)
Water: 6 (Anticipating Action)

Powers:
  • 0 () Cat Tongue - Dareen has had the company of many cats, many times in his years. He found out once that he could understand them, taking it at surface value he rarely considered how or why. Only how he could profit.
  • 1 () Cats Leap - Dareen has time and time again called upon his legs to lift him in the air, one of his first surfaced abilities was his Incredible jumping height.
  • 1 () Cat Friend - Cats have always seemed to love Dareen, as they would love catnip. Cats would constantly follow him within their city, but once he let they rarely followed. Since he was a child cats have always loved him.
  • 2 (fm) Werebeast(Cat) Transformation - The most recently surfaced power of Dareen's was his queer ability to shed his form, and mold it into that of a cats. Slightly larger than the average alley cat, he takes a Brownish Blond fur tone covered in dust and dirt. In this form his tail usually sticks in the air, providing him balance in this not yet mastered form.

Possessions:
  • Dirty tattered cotton clothes, poorly patched and torn.
  • Dirty not so tattered Long Thick Brown Coat, an ugly shade but useful for the cold nights.
  • Worn out leather shoes, the soles are tearing apart.
  • Somewhat rain proofed  leather hat, its cow boy hat style but the trim is slightly larger and the place where the head is placed is halved.

Background/Personality: Dareen was once a scholar, he tried living the nice life. Avoid the trouble crowd and be a goody two-shoes. He completed his schooling halfway when his parents had to take him out of school. They sadly could no longer afford to give him a proper education and required him to watch his younger siblings. He spent the rest of his childhood taking care of his younger siblings and running errands. He quickly grew angry at his parents and siblings, but kept it pent inside.

On his 18th birthday Dareen decided to drop his burden on the floor and run. He ran away, off into the west. He became a vagabond, having no permanent residence and just barely getting by on scraps. His good nature kept him from stealing for the first few years of his new life, but his desire for a real meal grew. He first stole when he was 21, it was a single loaf of bread. The city guards chased him out of the city, he was able to escape thanks to his ability to jump to great heights.

Later on in his life, he found out he could communicate to the cats that so adored him. He spoke to them for company, but one day an idea came into his mind. 'What if I can make these cats steal meals for me? I would be able to eat decently!' He tried his plan, and at first it succeeded, but it eventually stopped working. The cats would fail more often than succeed, and sometimes they would be caught and killed. His good nature, that had receded, decided to resurface and he kept from asking the cats to get him food.

With very few job opportunities Dareen found a new way to get many, it was to act criminal. He first found out that people would pay well if he stole what they desired when someone asked this lowly vagabond to steal some property that was confiscated by the guard. He did successfully steal it, and was rewarded with more money than he had seen in years. Though the amount was actually pretty measly. He's been using his powers and abilities to steal, spy, and distract for 3 years now. He has found no problem with it, and seems to enjoy it as his life style. Staying in one place for a while, until he was too notorious for his liking, and walking to the next town.

Sometime, shortly after London's Mayor was assassinated, a wandering Dareen was approached to by a mysterious man. This man was capable of eluding even Dareen's instincts. He offered Dareen a clean slate, all his crimes to be quite conveniently "forgotten". Dareen of course had to accept for he was growing in notoriety, being nick named the Cat Eyed thief for his thrilling escapes from the police and his amazing jumping ability. The condition for this was that Dareen put his talents to use for this man. Not even giving a name and saying, "When I have work for you, you shall receive a letter with details on your assignment. From there I will arrange to meet you and I expect your given mission to be complete. Otherwise you should continue your business as a Vagabond as long as you wish." After these final parting words, the mysterious man capable of manipulating the police left.

Edit: Hope this is okay Silleh Boy. This man is obviously under your control, and for the most part I'll only suggest his input for Dareen's intro post.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:50:57 pm by Doret »
Could I ever find a signature as catchy as that?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 02:02:38 am »

What! You missed the final spot! But what shall I do with all my DF cat references?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 03:23:44 am »

I'll write up a character...
I'll watch for now, I will make a character as a spot comes close to open...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:45:25 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 04:25:03 am »

Interested.  Character in the morning.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 05:10:26 am »

RAM: Funnily, I was considering giving everybody access to (within reason) unlimited standard rounds for their weapon, and having only secondary ammo types tracked - such as your scatter rounds.
   Lets see... Higher resistance against indirect damage, interest in everything's architechture, and slightly higher initiative and the like, looks in order, though a tinker's normally a clockworker class and the technomancers generally like things that go boom, there's still no issue there.

Abculatter: A few problems with your one, much as I hate to say it.

"Like the mountain" would as a speciality for the stat be more representative of your character being physically and mentally unmovable, as earth governs all degrees of being stubborn.

"Unshakable" would be an earth related speciality. You could always swap your zero point power for 'friend to earth' that would have you impossible to knock down as long as your feet are firmly planted.
      ...that now I think about it is pretty impressive given the fact some of these things could bat you about like a ragdoll.

Air 3 is average, "Unmoved" is sadly again earth related, that once again is eclipsed by its proper stat.

Unshakable/Unmoved CAN be kept, cross class as they are, but, they'd check without the benefit of high earth and be limited by the stat they're on, if you wish to play a character with flaws like that.

While they're easily fixed, the big problem is your power. Sadly, in this world the most advanced things in that field is the Guardians, that involves a typical brain in a jar controlling a robot body type affair. As I don't really want to come across as saying 'no, no, no.' to everything, I'll offer you the first shot at playing one of the classes that's close to this, that i was going to keep under wraps.

I'll PM you the proposed character.

Jabberwock: Only problem here is the earth/fire specialities. "Japanese Sword Mastery" should be bumped to fire and earth given something else, but other than that, it looks good.

Doret: Thumbs up there.

Neyvn/Vector: Noting you both down.

Now, time to get this started, and get ready to slip people by the other signups for the last two spaces if they don't jump on them.
On that note, I should probably prod Glyph, oops.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 06:40:50 am »

Recently posters have started to appear about the streets of London and presumably elsewhere too. Each one part of a series of gaudy and patriotic posters with bold lettering and pictures of people from various walks of life doing what one could presume was their 'duty'. All of the posers you have seen so far have been asking the citizens to do their duty to Queen and Country, asking you to stand against corruption, informing you that the greatest enemy is the enemy within. Hidden meaning or not, you do know that the Technocrats quickly took offence to these posters, that they have become increasingly sparse within a relatively short space of time.

You have heard that the Technocrats have actually authorised the law enforcement set about paying people who bring in armfulls of these controversial posters for getting them off the street. From the streets and up, people have been abuzz about this topic, talking about how many of these posers they turned in, about how it was rumoured that the queen herself authorised these posters.

Rumour also has it that the queen has shed all but her most trusted staff, her demands to speak with various members of the Technocracy that runs the country ignored, while the Technocrats, the people that govern the country have declared the queen to be mad.

It is all very strange that things would have come to this, stranger still that they have said that there is no cause for alarm.

Something is going on at the highest levels, adding to the already numerous problems that the city faces. It seems to always be one scare leading into another, first it was the things that go bump in the night, twisted monsters that prowl the streets after dark. Then it was the Enlightened, deranged cultists who were said to kidnap people, to be as bad as the things that went bump in the night. Then there were rumours of a killer on the streets, a killer who was thought to be one of the things that went bump in the night, a doctor, a lunatic, any number of things.

Now there were rumours that the government wanted to be rid of the figurehead monarchy.

The same monarchy they had always supported in the past, the same monarchy they had said was what made this country great.

Today there was twice the usual presence of Peelers on the street, a general air of zero tolerance from them letting people know that even minor offences would be punished today. Things such as carrying a weapon of the wrong permitted class for self defence at night wouldn't be overlooked, things such as spreading groundless rumours would be grounds for a stern talking to.

Oddly, the ever present Guardians where absent now, the usual patrols of Peelers and Guardians that people familiar with the city had become accustomed to now consisted soley of men in uniform. The bronze automatons, the tireless protectors of the city, the ever loyal mascot of the Clockworkers guild was off the streets without any prior explanation over why.

These two facts, along with a rumour travelling the streets that there would be a talk from the Technocrats at Parliment square. A talk, that no doubt would have no room for common people to get close to those speaking, a talk, that would no doubt be intended to clear up any misunderstandings and misconsceptions.

A talk that would no doubt have members of the armed forces and peelers there for the so called safety of the citizens.

A talk that was due just before mid-day.

It was mid-morning now, with work for most people well underway. The question was, what were you busy with on this day where destiny smiled upon you, were you planning to see if you could get close enough to hear the speech or did you have other plans?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15:58 am »

Go to the speech. I should be able to convince people that I am an invited technomancer.

And if they dont believe me, I can always make a potion to make my point a bit clearer to them.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 08:58:33 am »

If I still have that reserved spot, give it to the next one in line. I can't write up my character (the original try was on someone else's laptop and it's no longer here, oh well) for some reason, even though I have an idea for him. Ehh.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 10:07:49 am »

My act ends just as the talk starts, so I'll have to hurry, but with a bit of luck I should be able to catch it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 10:35:23 am »

(The problem with going first, then not looking at the other players until it's started ... I hope I start with money? I think I'll also change my name to "Henry Smith," if that's acceptable. I didn't put any thought into the potential consequences of having a bizarre name.)

Henry had just arrived in the capital the night before, and rented a room in a small boarding house. The plump widow in charge had woken him before the sun rose, fed him a simple meal of eggs and sausage, then strongly encouraged him to get started looking for work before the speech. The two other men lodging there introduced themselves over breakfast: One was a stable-hand, and the other worked in a brewery.

He stood before a poster while gnawing on an apple, mulling over how closely he wanted to follow local politics. He sighed as he decided to attend the speech - He disliked crowds, and could learn what it was about over dinner, but it would be better to hear it first hand. There was still time before it started though, time to continue looking for work.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 12:09:04 pm »

Spoiler: For Silleh Boy (click to show/hide)

Am I actually playing this turn, or no?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:49:13 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8