Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300272 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (game on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #1755 on: June 14, 2011, 05:40:11 pm »

If you don't want that scroll, Corina can use it. She has little combat capability outside of spells, and we're still at the level where those are pretty limited.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:05 pm »

Okay, so, gold claimed during the session from the 10,000 gp payment:
Nael: 1,100
Grek: 1,500
Uskton Slek: 1000
Van: 200
Pheron: 2500
Vaba: 2500
Andre: 250
Party Fund: 950

Edit because Uskton Slek took another 500 to buy some gauntlets of lightning-shooting.
I was at the session where we received that money. Do I get any?
You should, but half of it is going to Pheron and Vaba, for unclear reasons. If you want

And I hope Shoruke noticed my post earlier about how Uskton's 500 was from the party inv. and I took the 1450, feeling justified because I have taken less loot than Van up to this point.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:01 pm »

New Character: Kimko Lockweaver, Cloistered Cleric of Science!

Stuff in need of approval:
-Alchemist's Frost (exactly like an acid flask, but cold instead of acid)
-Craft checks to make alchemy goods for material costs in background. If not acceptable, I will ditch the alchemy lab and brew my acid on the fly during travel montages, and use the money that would have gone towards the Alchemy Lab to pick up the slack.
-Beisutsukai as a cleric philosophy/ideal. Lawful Neutral; domains are Air, Earth, Fire, Water and Knowledge, divine weapon is the warhammer.

Questions:
-What is the starting gold for a 3rd level character? I assumed 900 (the WBL for a 3rd level character in the DMG), but wanted to double check.
-Is there room on the Bote for an alchemy lab?

Bonus Points:
-For anyone that can identify where I got the name Kimko Lockweaver or the word beisutsukai without googling it.

Journal of Kimko Lockweaver
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And special for Kogan:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:36:34 am by Grek »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:12 am »

From what I've learned of Japanese, beisutsukai means 'a user of (whatever beisu is).' I suspect that our second cleric/elemental alchemist will have some fun interactions with the nature cult, having much to do with natural phenomenon.

I checked the WBL for standard characters, level 3 appears to be 2700 in the DMG. Maelrigar personally has a 'net worth' of somewhere between 4500 and 5500, which falls within his 13000GP wealth by level for level six. As for them spells...

I may be back at an even later time with more. I'm currently writing that passive journal about finally finding a body of water. (Go Procan cult!)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 15, 2011, 02:34:16 am »

What level of spell is shark bolt?
Okay, so, gold claimed during the session from the 10,000 gp payment:
Nael: 1,100
Grek: 1,500
Uskton Slek: 1000
Van: 200
Pheron: 2500
Vaba: 2500
Andre: 250
Party Fund: 950

Edit because Uskton Slek took another 500 to buy some gauntlets of lightning-shooting.
I was at the session where we received that money. Do I get any?

So was I for that matter...
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:58 am »

I was gonna stake a claim on behalf of Maelrigar, but it was pointed out that the sword was extremely valuable and there was some debate over whether it counted as a fair reward for the situation or not. As it was, I figured I'd sidestep the issue and not worry about it, since I can always retcon taking less and having someone else have a cut if necessary.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: June 15, 2011, 08:38:31 pm »

I took 1,450 gp out of the party fund to represent Ethan taking his bit.

The dragonfang shortsword's bleeding effect is normal damage; it can be healed with a heal check or hp recovery, just like all other bleeding wounds.

Maelrigar's loot can be vendor-trashed for 1901 gp and 5 sp. Most of it came from the +1 greatsword, but a decent chunk was from the star sapphire. If you decide to give Corina the scroll, your revenue will decrease to 1889 gp.

Alchemist's frost looks fine to me. Great for killing people, and keeping your food chilled!

I'm not sure what exactly you mean when you ask for craft checks in the background, Grek, but you guys usually get a bit of time to make craft checks while using the sandflier... also, when you miss a session, you get the option to spend the in-game time you missed making craft checks (or scribing scrolls or doing other down-time type things).

I am completely unfamiliar with beisatsuki or whatever Beisutsukai... but it doesn't look like an overpowered selection of domains or anything, and my stance on religions is basically "go for it, but don't expect it to change much for you  :P", so I'll give it the go-ahead.

Grek, the projected wealth for a level 3 character is actually 2,700 coins... I don't think we're too incredibly far off the mark in that regard, so go with that.

There totally is room on Bote for an alchemy lab. My interpretation of the item is that it's basically a briefcase full of beakers and vials and measuring spoons and suchlike, so you can do chemistry with some significant figures. As long as you've got enough room to sit down on the floor and cross your legs, you can do alchemy. (also, the sandflier flies quite smoothly, so it won't screw you up)

Just to clarify for Ryngest's Frigid Blades, you don't even have to make the fort save against con damage if you pass the reflex save. But even with that ruling, I'd say that's a level 3 spell. Compare it with fireball: it does 1d6 per level in an area of effect; a smaller area, and at closer range, but it also does con damage. Now compare it with Scorching Ray; one of them does a flat 4d6 (8d6 with Caster Level 7), the other does 5d6 to everyone in range and also does 1d4 con damage.

Danzig's Channelled Lightning is basically "lightning bolt for munchkins". It really sets off my cheese-o-meter to see an attack spell that can be used as a swift action. The standard action version is 1/4 range lightning bolt, the full-round version is... actually reasonably balanced, and the 2 rounds version is basically a sniper rifle that shoots lightning instead of bullets. I'd say that's a fourth-level spell. (also, the spell has no listed spell level, what is this schist...)

Maelrigar and Tallulah can take from the party fund if they wish (make sure to tell me, you get smote if you "forget" to), or they can contest some of the other people for cash if you feel someone else got too much.

Also, I work Saturday night, and I have a thing planned Sunday night. With that said, we'll have to have a vote for which night to play on. Please note that playing Thursday is too soon (I like to give at least a whole day's notice on sessions whenever possible), and I'd like to keep my Friday night open for socializing and stuff, so our options are to have an earlier, shorter session on Sunday, or to have the session next week sometime. VOTING UP TOP GO
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 15, 2011, 10:57:29 pm »

By "craft checks in the background" I mean in my character's background. According to her background, she spend a year or so running an alchemy stand at the Oasis before deciding to join the party instead of spending the rest of her life as a merchant. The flasks of acid, alchemy kit and so forth are the alchemy goods that she packed up with her when she left. Since these are goods that were crafted, I've currently got them marked down as costing the crafting price, rather than the retail price. But I could easily see you not being ok with that, so I thought I should ask about it.

In either case, I have way more money than I know what to do with. Anyone have any special requests/recomendations? Currently considering getting a wand of command, since it's cheap and the approach/flee options are highly useful for making AoOs with a party as big as ours is. Also under strong consideration is a second CLW wand, since you guys run through those like candy.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 16, 2011, 12:08:42 am »

You'd have to check with Shoruke on this one, but there is an item called the Healing Belt on p.110 of the Magic Item Compendium. It gives +2 to heal, 3 times a day you can heal 2d8 damage as a touch attack, and to top it off it only costs 750 gp. The reason you'd have to ask is because 3 potions that heal 2d8 can easily cost the same and they don't recharge. It may be official but WOW is that cost effective.

As for my availability it is open right now.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 16, 2011, 12:52:12 am »

No, you can't make crafting checks in your character's backstory, because then there's no fair way to adjudicate when to STOP. Even if I just let you make craft checks to reduce the price of things in your inventory, you can still sell them for a profit and skew your WBL, without any in-game time expenditure. Basically, your "backstory crafting checks" are why you have a whopping 2,700 gp; enough pocket change to buy a small house. Congratulations, you're officially successful at what you did for a living.

As for your huge amounts of money, you could do the RP-heavy thing and buy yourself some alchemical substances...

And, healing belts... they are kinda... too cost-effective. I'm going to triple the cost on those; they're still affordable (which is a good way for healing to be, especially in the d20 system), but not as cheap. (both meaning of "cheap" right there)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 16, 2011, 01:10:20 am »

Gotcha. Character sheet updated to reflect correct prices!

Wands of Goodberry heal a mean of 250 hp per wand and provide the equivilent of 10lbs of trail rations. Wands of Cure Light Wounds heal a mean of 275 hp per wand. Wands of Lesser Vigor heal a mean of 750 hp per wand, but very slowly. The belt heals  a mean of 27 hp per day. Thus, it takes an average of 10 days of constant usage to break even with a CLW wand. At triple price, it's up to 30 days of constant use to break even. 28 and 84 days of constant use to break even with lesser vigor. They're usually not worth it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 16, 2011, 02:46:48 am »

Corina can have the scroll. Also, was Shark Bolt accepted? I may have forgotten to tell you it was a 3rd level spell. I'll purchase a +1 enchantment for that Greatsword using my own cash and the money I just recieved.

I found that lightning spell as a homebrew, but no level was attached. I was wondering what you would call it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:14 am »

I should explain the Healing Belt nerf I guess... The healing belt may heal only 6d8 per day, but the fact is that that is about one encounter worth of damage for us. If we had 3 people that bought them since they are normally cheap we would essentially not need a healer at all for the next 4-5 levels. Even after that we have such a large group that we could get a group of 7 and keep using that item. They are definitely powerful for the price. Similar healing magic items run for 3,000 gp, so I have no idea why this one is cheap.

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 16, 2011, 12:23:10 pm »

Shoruke, you still need to answer my question. I rolled up a backup character just in case that Uskton gets killed off or leaves the party in the next session. I know I'm a bit paranoid with this, but I want to be able to keep playing should it happen. Can I use the Skeletal Minion Necromancer Variant?

Also, I'm available for a session the whole next week and this one.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 16, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »

Looking at the variant I thought it was overpowered, but then I did a bit of a comparison:

Personally I'd just stick to familiars and see if Shoruke would OK a skeletal familiar (cosmetic change). You're going to use skills, so you may as well roll twice per check. Familiars aren't normally for combat, they are kind of like assistants for wizards and sorcerers.

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 244