Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food ownership issues  (Read 913 times)

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Food ownership issues
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:38:39 am »

Hello all,

I have a bit of a strange problem. My dwarves likes to claim ownership on foodstuff. I think this happens because they take the food as military provisions. The problem arises when they don't eat the food and leave it all over the place. The food is not unclaimed, no one else can eat it, so I am left with a fortress abundant in plump helmets that no one want to touch because it's had another dwarf's fingers on it. Some would have starved if not for a human caravan passing through!

Is there any way to fix this? :/

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Food ownership issues
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:17 am »

By any chance is the military dwarf assigned to perform mining or wood cutting? If so, don't do that - it's broken and results in the exact behavior you're seeing.

The only way to free up those items is to kill the owner and any spouse/children (since they'll just inherit the meals), and make sure the dwarf doesn't have an assigned tomb (otherwise all of the food will be buried with the dwarf).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 11:19:50 am »

Wouldn't the alternative be to just tell them not to carry any food on them? Or not to have backpacks on them at all?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:28:26 am »

It's not possible to have them not carry backpacks, though setting them to carry zero rations would probably work.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:03:15 pm »

By any chance is the military dwarf assigned to perform mining or wood cutting? If so, don't do that - it's broken and results in the exact behavior you're seeing.

That explains my issues with this on a previous fort! I had all my army dwarves assigned to mining, and the commander decided everything belonged to her and starved out my fort.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 02:16:47 pm »

You could also try setting up a temporary burrow that only includes the owned food.
I haven't tried this so it may not work.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 04:11:08 pm »

I've seen this when miners are active as military.  I think I channeled the tile with the food and rebuild a floor over it.  Problem (sort of) solved!
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:09:04 pm »

Thanks Quietust. That seems to be the issue, as I did assign a few soldiers to wood-cutting when no one was doing it. The problem now is that my fort has only ~30 dwarves, and killing the culprits off would spell certain disaster.  :'( Ah well, time to start a new fort in .14.