Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How to Bring Back Elven Diplomats in 0.31.13 (and later)  (Read 13763 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: How to Bring Back Elven Diplomats in 0.31.13 (and later)
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 02:34:18 pm »

These merchants and liasons seem to be generated as needed, and though they might hang out in the world, another one will be asspulled at need for seasonal events.

They're actually supposed to be appointed during worldgen (and the dwarven Outpost Liaison is appointed during worldgen and replaced as needed), but there's a bug that causes them to lose their position once they leave your fortress (after coming there in the first place) - the only reason you actually get a new one each year (rather than never getting one again) is because Toady fixed it so that they get properly replaced post-worldgen. If you look through Legends (or you have a sufficiently creative Engraver), you can find historic records of dwarves being removed from the position of Outpost Liaison every year.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:45:26 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 04:08:09 pm »

Can you do this for the Elves as well? The whole trade thing. The elves bring me nothing useful at this point I'd like to be able to make an agreement with them so they can at the minimum bring me a crap load of precious booze. At least before I kill them and their filthy unicorns I'd like to at least use them for as liquor slaves.

Also, does the change stick? I would obviously have to regen and restart if I did this. While this is fine my current map is pretty epic since it has a major river, a minor river, waterfall, AND a volcano all on the same embark. I am currently making a green glass pirate ship in the middle of the river.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 08:11:19 am »

Changes to entity positions absolutely require a regen, since the positions in the raws are only used as templates - when the civilizations actually get created during worldgen, they all get their own distinct copies of the position data (plus any special positions formed during worldgen by Humans and Goblins). Even with the extra positions, you'll probably be able to regenerate the world just fine if you use the same seeds, though history might turn out a bit differently.

[edit] Also, I'm not sure if the TRADE position alone will suffice - you might also need to add the [MERCHANT_NOBILITY] token to the entity itself in order to make it even try to send the guild rep. Any other modders are welcome to chime in with their experience.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:34:13 am by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 09:27:26 pm »

Yep it works complete with my custom name lol. An elven wood cartel rep showed up in the spring with the caravan and proposed a trade agreement. He used the human merchants guild dialogue though, which imo is no problem. His title however is Wood Cartel Representative.

[POSITION:WOOD CARTEL REPRESENTATIVE]   
      [NAME:Wood Cartel Representative:Wood Cartel Representatives]
      [NUMBER:1]
      [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
      [RESPONSIBILITY:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS]
      [PRECEDENCE:40]
      [MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
      [SLEEP_PRETENSION]
      [PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
      [ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
      [DO_NOT_CULL]
      [COLOR:7:0:1]
      [DUTY_BOUND]
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 09:30:54 pm »

Ah there is a minor problem though. It is nothing big but in the list of what they want there are wooden crowns. I assume it is because the list of the crap they want is randomly generated and toady just hasn't hashed out the whole trade thing yet. I'll try next season and see if the elves will actually accept wood crowns though I suspect they won't.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 11:46:16 pm »

Does it work if you omit the [RESPONSIBILITY:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS] line, or is that needed in order to enable auto-replacement in case of death (or, in the case of 0.31.16 and earlier, leaving the map)?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 02:47:47 am »

Does it work if you omit the [RESPONSIBILITY:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS] line, or is that needed in order to enable auto-replacement in case of death (or, in the case of 0.31.16 and earlier, leaving the map)?

To be honest I didn't try it without. I just combo'd the two in order to see if I could get a functioning rep that would return every year.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 10:25:36 pm »

For the record, I've since done a test and [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] is sufficient to get a working Elven "broker" (though, rather oddly, it didn't seem to show up with the very first caravan).

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 09:05:32 pm »

There's no entity_default entry for human law-givers. But one has shown up every year since becoming a barony. It's a different one every year, probably generated because the original was slain, and unless he/she is on the map, no law-giver is listed in the civilization.

But no entry, so how would I edit responsibilities?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 12:06:58 am »

Certain positions are randomly created during worldgen as a result of the [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] token, and law-giver is one of those positions; such positions cannot be edited.

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 10:54:21 pm »

Does the modding resume my current agreement with the elves? I have a woodcutting quota which I haven't touched for two game years now, and I'm not sure how the elves will react if I go over it, even if I'm using 31.16 now.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 02:52:46 pm »

Can anyone confirm this still works as 31.25??

I tried both the diplomat and guild rep, with no results, although I did other modding at the same time so it could not be this at fault...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 02:55:19 pm »

Still works for me in 31.25.

Did you apply this mod before going through world generation?  It doesn't work if you do it to an already generated world.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »

Yes I genned a new world, but as I said I was trying other mods along with this one so it could be me at fault...

How do I check if it works? What behaviour am I supposed to expect? I never played the old versions...

I'm thinking on adding just these and mod the active seasons to all four so I can check it as soon as possible in the first seasons or so... or is there a better way?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:50:04 pm by Kaos »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 04:44:03 pm »

For the guild rep, you just need to wait until a caravan arrives. For some reason, the very first caravan might not bring a guild rep, but if you wait another year it should show up properly.

For the Elven diplomat, you must become a Barony and then wait until the beginning of Spring the next year - if an Elven diplomat appears out of nowhere (i.e. no announcement) and scolds you, then it's working.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4