Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Angelashes 3.0 - not totally dead...yet?  (Read 6719 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Re: Angelashes 3.0 - not totally dead...yet?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 11:57:06 pm »

Still here. DON'T FREAK OUT

Hooray for the weekend to give me time for this stuff.

(I'm juggling Whiskeybridle and this at the same time so bear with me, but I'll try to be done by Sunday [hopefully Fatal Ice doesn't fall into my lap before then])

Sorry for the faux-update getting hopes up. Expect stuff soon.

EDIT: I finished my turn in Whiskeybridle. Angelashes is next. Go read Whiskeybridle while you wait :P

My turn in Angelashes will definitely be finished by tomorrow.
YOU BUILT A MONSTROSITY ON MY TOWER
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 12:04:19 am »

YOUR TOWER IS FILLED WITH CORPSES

IT WAS MEANT TO BE A PYRAMID BUT THERE WASN'T ENOUGH TIME

ALSO I MADE A LOT OF FLOORS

AND SOAP
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 09:45:11 am »

just for refrence, what version are we useing?   it's not mentioned on the main page.    want to make sure I have the right version before my turn comes up.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 10:15:50 am »

I'm running it in 31.16 and it works fine.

HAHA I'M STUPID

I guess it's supposed to stay in 31.12 for now. I'm glad I didn't actually do more than a month.

Starting over in .12 now
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:59:17 am by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 01:30:43 pm »

.12.   cool.   need to get me a copy and a corosponding graphics pac.

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »

why not change to .16??
Don't you just love magma-baked cookies?

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 02:21:05 pm »

I browsed through the 2.1 thread earlier to see if I could or not.

It just seemed like the general consensus was to stay in .12

I have no problem with moving to .16 but I didn't want to do it without, you know, some kind of affirmative from management first.

If we allow it to move to .16 then the next overseer can do that.
I can see it now.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:38 pm »

Well, since there's a lazynewbpack out for .16 now it probably doesn't matter anymore.

Unless someone has a specific objection it would probably be fine to go ahead with it on your turn or the next one or whatever.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 02:36:32 pm »

Whiskeybridle leeched most of my creative energy for a good narration, at least for a day or two. Also my energy for screenshot-dealing-with-ness. But that's OK because

This is a newbie fortress, not a storytelling fortress

So I will simply be as descriptive as I can in my reports. Woo!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

GRANITE

This place is an epic, sprawling mess of craziness. I suppose that isn't entirely fair for me to say, because my entire experience in succession forts has been either a really early turn when things are still nice and simple, or something like Whiskeybridle where everything's supposed to be easily manageable just as a matter of fact. I'm sure if I had experience in something like Headshoots or Battlefailed or something, this would be easy.

But this place has some particular quirkiness about it that needs to be resolved.

Everything is huge and sprawling, like I said. Everything. Stockpiles, farms, bedrooms. I suppose this is acceptable for the fort's current population of over 100, but from what I've read up on on Angelashes history, it has always been like this.

Our military is comprised of just Zaik, by himself. What happened there? I realize Zaik is a pretty kickin' soldier, but I think a military ratio of 1 : 137 is kind of unacceptable. Going to give the military a massive expansion.

As a result of the military project, armor and weapons are needed. We have magma forges, that's great, but it looks like when we transferred to the new forges, we kind of left the old industry sitting around. Those buildings should be torn down, but much more importantly, our fuel stockpile is as far away from the forges as dwarvenly possible. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that I want to equip the military in steel, if possible. And even with magma forges, coal or coke is required to make steel.

Some other projects I think should be done is massive organization of our food and booze production lines, mostly in stockpile logic. A stockpile for empty barrels that has a required minimum near the still helps, as it ensures empty barrels stay reserved for booze production, and booze is what we seem to be low-ish on.

One of the reasons I am preoccupying myself with organization issues is because I play dwarf fortress with no mods, without modifying RAWs and without using any utilities whatsoever to help manage the dwarves. I do this as a matter of personal preference, not because I don't know any better, or anything. Organization is therefore somewhat of a high priority for me. I can only assume that either at least some of the previous overseers were using Dwarf Foreman, Manager or Therapist, or that they are a lot better at manually navigating the clusterf*** that is Angelashes than I am.

Organization will help everyone though! So it is my goal. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I just came from managing an OCD fortress >_>

All of this will hopefully be accomplished in my year. But what's this? It appears a couple of goblins are still hanging around near the fort. Their presence offends me, I will dispose of them.

---------------

Anyway holy crap those are huge stockpiles. Do we really need a wood stockpile that can hold 620 logs? I submit that we do not!

Someone seriously enjoyed making huge-scale everything. A drinks stockpile capable of holding 180 drinks?

I'm just saying, our entrance area has at least 4,500 square units of space. That's just the entrance level. This all must have been a massive chore to excavate!

I fancy myself somewhat of a minimalist and so this is all completely overwhelming.

I just set a space out for raw ores, apparently the sum total of gold, silver, platinum, adamantine, iron and coal/lignite ores we have can fit comfortably in 6 bins. That was the one thing I assumed we would need a lot of space for, and it turns out we don't...

Eventually the metal bar stockpile room will organize itself, but for now it's a randomly cluttered mess.

Anyway, this fort needs some serious streamlining or it's going to die an FPS death before long. I'm cruising at ~30 FPS at the moment, which isn't too bad, but...

yyyyeah.
I can see it now.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 04:19:01 pm »

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

SLATE

So now I'm gonna focus on military matters. We now have 3 squads of military dorfs that I hope to make into full-time, seasoned semi-professionals before the year is up.

There's a sort of half-finished structure in the center of the map, that shall be the new barracks. Real dorfs train out in the open, to greet Gobbos with open arms.

Of course, they will have a roof over their head, but I just don't want these guys vomiting all over their armor when I order them to kill the latest siege of goblins. So outdoor barracks it is.

--------

We have, quite literally, ten metric fucktons of plump helmets.

I think the dwarves would appreciate a little variety in their subterranean cuisine, so I'm setting the other 5 unused farm plots to make NOT plump helmets for a change.

Also I'm adjusting the uniforms for the military, at least temporary. The one they have set is ideal, in that everything the dwarves wear is elite, steel armor, adamantine weapons, etc. But I need them to put something - anything - on for now. Some of them are going without weapons OR armor, because all the adamantine ones are taken. No good.

An engraver went berserk from a Strange Mood and before he managed to even glare angrily at anyone, he got one-hit-killed by one of the new recruit swordsdorfs. Good job lads!

Skip a few months to...

//////////////////////MALACHITE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The outdoor barracks is shaping up nicely; considering putting another Danger Room out there...

No migrants or sieges or anything yet.
I can see it now.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 04:40:06 pm »

!!GALENA!!

Did someone mod these dwarves?

Should I have replaced it with my own RAW files?

I'm just saying, because there are a ridiculous amount of Legendary dwarves and the military dwarves I drafted went from untrained in everything to legendary in at least 2 skills already.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

The dwarves are pretty epically badass, sparring in the danger room. Hardcore.

Ooh, finally, a siege. Time to try out the new military...

OH FUCK HUMAN LASHERS

Well that wasn't so bad. We took one casualty, he got his lower body, left leg and spleen mangled pretty bad but he should survive with some prompt care. The siege has ended.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:58:37 pm by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:15 pm »

TIMBER

Got hit by a siege of 2 goblin squads, and the trading caravans are here.

FPS is at 8... good lord.

Oh god I thought we were doomed there for a second.

3 (!!3!!) goblin squads and a troll squad
We took em out though. Casualties were heavy... Zaik has fallen, but he took at least 12 goblins with him.
All in all it was a suitably epic siege. Lots of fighting on the narrow walkway paths leading to the fort
The entire landscape is stained with blood now.
Don't you wish I had pictures :P

Bremarv was in a fey mood. He wandered the battlefield collecting things. Whenever a goblin or troll got in front of him, he very calmly shoved a pick through it's brain and kept walking without missing a beat.

Also our deceased list is just about the longest thing ever.

Bremarv has constructed Avuzemgash Gisstirmozirassar, Mindriders the Fortuitous Routed Circumstances, a bituminous coal hatch cover! This is a bituminous coal hatch cover. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with cedar and rope reed fiber and encircled with bands of bituminous coal and highwood. This object is adorned with hanging rings of highwood and menaces with spikes of highwood. On the item is an image of The Kindling of Earth the adamantine sarcophagus in ruby. On the item is an image of The Kindling of Earth the adamantine sarcophagus in iron.

This item is a candidate for longest artifact name ever, I think.

Aaaaand nothing else of importance happened.

Angelashes Map on the DFMA

The Save

Good luck to the next one in line!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:29:55 pm by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 06:59:10 pm »

Thats.. an unusual way to use a fey mood.     quite effective though, it seems.     to bad thhy are so random.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 09:51:31 pm »

Hah, that's two community forts you've managed to kill me in Argembarger.

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »

Hah, that's two community forts you've managed to kill me in Argembarger.

Yeah but it was AWESOME this time. You slaughtered your way through about 5 gobbos and a troll with your cotton candy battleaxe, lopping off limbs, heads, gore flying everywhere, but then they surrounded you, you had your back to the river, I could imagine you staring down the goblin horde, and then suddenly cracking a dramatic smirk, as all 7 of the goblins charged you at once.

You and the 7 goblins all plunged screaming into the river at the same time. You managed to massacre about 3 more before everyone drowned. It was epic beyond words.

At any rate it was more epic than all of my numerous community fort deaths.

1. Getting paralyzed and crawling around pathetically like a weeping baby before going melancholy and starving to death. (Bellwaxed)
2. Getting slaughtered in a goblin raid in which the only other casualty was a kitten. (Granitepartners)
3. Starving to death 3 seconds after being dorfed. (Whiskeybridle)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:02:32 pm by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6