Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ragnarok Online fanfiction  (Read 1113 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Ragnarok Online fanfiction
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:42:13 pm »

Whew, here's the first chapter of a Ragnarok Online fanfiction I've been working on.  It's sort of a "what if," story, it's what if the character's I've made in the game were real, and the world were real, and how they would become adventurers.  Here's hoping you guys enjoy it, and of course, feel free to give comments and responses :)  Hopefully the link is working correctly...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: oh right, the main character's name is Euld, because my character's name in RO is Euld.  So yeah.  Dunno if that was discouraging people from responding :P
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:27:07 am by Euld »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ragnarok Online fanfiction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:44:39 pm »

Just one bump, hoping for some kind of response, even a bad response at this point.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:33:34 pm »

Having read about a third of it...

-Character just sounds downright whiny thinking he's going to stay there and work til he dies. There's also no mention of what he's feeling at the time, so it's a wooden type of whiny. Might want to mention the tone, or something.

-Pacing is a bit odd. Cleaning the fireplace sounds like a somewhat laborious task, but it's just sort of rushed into a sentence-per-step paragraph. I realize you don't want to spend all day describing what color the logs are, but short passages feel short and long passages feel long, regardless of the meaning.

-Might want to put more thought into exactly what "Ragnarok-based" means. You seem to have been going for the more literal "Yeah I'm a swordsman, so I physically can't hold a bow and have 140 hit points" feel, but it doesn't seem like you've properly meshed it with the more realistic portions like vomit and needing to eat. As a result, the parts where they talk about "what class are you" and such just sounds like bad writing.

Sorry I couldn't be more thorough, positive, or at least entertainingly critical, but at least it's something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:36:12 am »

-Character just sounds downright whiny thinking he's going to stay there and work til he dies. There's also no mention of what he's feeling at the time, so it's a wooden type of whiny. Might want to mention the tone, or something.

And if he thinks that's bad, he should try level grinding!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:43:01 pm »

Woo thanks for the responses :)  I had a feeling Euld was sounding whiny, I'll definently do something about that in the next draft.  As for Ragnarok-based, I was aiming for "anyone can hold a bow, but only archers (and rogues *cough*) can use bow skills, so stick to your class."  Good to know that my intentions aren't coming through very clearly, and if anything, I need to establish the "rules" early on so the reader knows what to expect.  I'd say you wrote a fine critique.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:31:42 pm »

I'll be honest, parts of the technical discussion, like with class and skills, sounds more sales pitch than anything else. Like with the bard and the cleric, for example. The expalanations they give sound really forced and cheesy, like an infomercial almost. I almost think you would be better of off with intense animu style yells when they do it, and then just have some knowledgable sign-up on the boat give out the explanation.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.