Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Vengeful Mafia 4 - Game Over - Town Wins  (Read 40191 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful Mafia 4 - Day 1
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2010, 07:00:18 pm »

And then there were three.  Personal attacks and lemony-flavored vitriol.  Oh good.
You're completely overlooking my actual attacks and points I've made.

I was determining if I thought IronyOwl was scum or town. It worked.
Saying someone is scum without any proof has shown to be the one of the most ineffective tactics in mafia. There's hardly another method that's worked any worse. It simply doesn't work.

Wrong.
Right. I forgot to account for the 20% chance that we win. Unfortunately, I'm not banking on that chance. I'm making sure that there will be a cache of information no matter what case happens.

How am I stopping him exactly? I'm commenting that a particular style of scum hunting is useless and often employed by scum. One often used by ToonyMan, less often (but more relevantly at this point) by Pandarsenic.
You're telling him not to do it. That's an attempt at stopping him. And it's not even anything harmful to the Town, but you're saying that he should stop. Hence, you're attempting to harbor the flow of information.

... That was directed at GlyphGryph. Doesn't really have anything to do with you. Again, pay attention.
I was. I was commenting on several of your comments because you are being scummy in them. I do not believe that anything had to be directed at me to comment on it, or are you still against my opinion? I think all you've done so far is point out that I comment on your style of play and OMGUS people.

Rushing of the game? No. Playing the game? Yes.

It's not my problem if you feel rushed.
I don't feel rushed. I feel like you're rushing. There's a difference, and you know it. I even predict you will take my words out of context again.

Ah. I'm not active now. Shiny.
That was fast. I said you're appearing to be more active. That does not mean you are inactive. It means that you are not as active as you appear. There's several degrees of many things, and there's no need to exaggerate to prove nothing. You're still not addressing the point. You're hiding behind the words.

Sarcasm.
Yes. That was sarcasm. However, this wasn't an answer to the point. It was just stating what it was. That doesn't make the point any less valid. If anything, you're lack of answering makes the attack much more credible, as you are at a loss for an answer.

I did. The point is that you missed who one of the two active players (at that point) was and didn't bother to fix your post. Either you're not paying attention or you made the mistake on purpose.
I am incredibly lazy. That is nothing new. I am also, at times, forgetful. Also not new. I was mixing up GlyphGryph's game with this one. This doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, and there's no reason for me to make a mistake on purpose.

This attack has no point to it. You've established that I made a mistake. I've even established I made a mistake. Now, what is the point? Can you base anything off of it?

He hasn't been vulgar since then. It would be scummier not to back down on that point.
This is perhaps your only redeeming answer from this post. The rest of it has resulted in nothing gained.

Applying pressure to determine alignment... Sounds like the definition of scumhunting.
But, you're not doing it. I feel absolutely no pressure from you. You haven't made an adequate attack. You're not bothering to answer my attacks. You've hardly pointed out any useful information in the entire game. Just because you're voting them, doesn't make it a pressure vote. You have no driving force behind it. You're not going to get me lynched. I know it. You don't have any evidence against me. I am under no pressure from you. You can shout that I am scum because I am scum, but I know I'm not, and that's all there is to it. You can't trick someone into revealing anything if you don't have a means to trick them.

Actually it did. I learned what I wanted about IronyOwl.
I hardly call what you did useful. It was more like you were testing the waters for a lynch. If people joined, you probably would've simply lynched him. If nobody joined, you were going to jump off in favor of someone else. In this case, it was me, probably because I attacked you last. Had I not, you probably would've jumped to Pandarsenic.

Too townie? No. "Voice of reason"? yes.
I see. So, the quotes are supposed to explain your points for you then? I've got this little idea about you. See, you started the game off loud, in hopes of creating an image of activity for yourself. Since the beginning is all random voting, you can't be called out for anything, so you make fallacious arguments and push them. However, you're also doing this to see if anyone jumps on them. From there, I can see you diverging in two ways:
First Case: if someone votes with you, you'll either continue this line further, have your partner hammer, or jump onto the person that voted with you. Since you have fallacious arguments, it'd be easy to attack anyone that followed you, and even if you made yourself an enemy, your ultimate goal would be to get a lynch in. This involves attacking very fast and seemingly hard against several people, in hopes of getting one of them lynched. You'll also hide behind RVS.
Second Case: if someone doesn't vote the person you're voting for, you'll jump off, claiming to have had some epiphany about their alignment after your attack. You can hide behind this because, of course, it was RVS, and "you didn't have anything better." This means if you do this fast enough, you can jump to someone who will eventually be scummy enough for you. Hence, the whole rushing aspect. So, your goal here is just to jump fast.

You are scum.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2010, 07:25:37 pm »

From everything I've seen so far far...
I'm putting my money on Pandarsenic being scum. Active Lurky, weak attacks, answers only when called.
Then comes Irony and Owl who are about tied for scum possibility.
I honestly think Janus is town at this point, though that could change with his next round of responses.

So, Pandarsenic, what are you making of all this?

Also, vote count?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2010, 07:27:04 pm »

... What?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 07:55:21 pm »

I thought I did not have a midterm today. I was wrong. Also lunch was inadequate.

Thus, having just checked I'm not about to hammer myself:

Pandarsenic

My vote will be moved to a suitable candidate after an analysis of the game upon return from my dinner, which I'm going to eat now. This is of course pending there actually being someone who needs my vote to be on them.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 08:06:10 pm »

I thought I did not have a midterm today. I was wrong. Also lunch was inadequate.

Pandarsenic

My vote will be moved to a suitable candidate after an analysis of the game upon return from my dinner, which I'm going to eat now. This is of course pending there actually being someone who needs my vote to be on them.
... What? You can't be serious. Why don't you just unvote?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 08:17:49 pm »

Saying someone is scum without any proof has shown to be the one of the most ineffective tactics in mafia. There's hardly another method that's worked any worse. It simply doesn't work.
It's no less effective than the average random vote questions.  I'll believe you if and only if you flip town and IronyOwl flips scum.

You're telling him not to do it. That's an attempt at stopping him. And it's not even anything harmful to the Town, but you're saying that he should stop. Hence, you're attempting to harbor the flow of information.
I'm telling him that I think it's useless and that he can do better. He hasn't so far.

I don't feel rushed. I feel like you're rushing. There's a difference, and you know it. I even predict you will take my words out of context again.
And I don't feel like I'm rushing the game. Thus if you feel that I am, you must either feel rushed or believe that someone else does. Haven't heard anything to the effect.

But, you're not doing it. I feel absolutely no pressure from you. You haven't made an adequate attack. You're not bothering to answer my attacks. You've hardly pointed out any useful information in the entire game. Just because you're voting them, doesn't make it a pressure vote.
People in general, you in particular, have this warped idea that pressure and votes are inexplicatbly tied together.  Pressure is getting someone to talk. IronyOwl was talking. You're talking. Voting has little to do with it.

I hardly call what you did useful. It was more like you were testing the waters for a lynch. If people joined, you probably would've simply lynched him. If nobody joined, you were going to jump off in favor of someone else. In this case, it was me, probably because I attacked you last. Had I not, you probably would've jumped to Pandarsenic.
Then you are completely missing the point. 

As for why I targeted you, I'll admit it wasn't a very good reason.  I targeted you because I don't like you. I would absolutely love for you to be the Godfather and lynched Day 1. Not that it would put a dent in your ego, but so it goes.

First Case: ...
Second Case: ...
Third Case: I stay on you until I'm convinced that you're not scum.

You are scum.
Lynch me.  I'd love to vengekill you.

I'm putting my money on Pandarsenic being scum. Active Lurky, weak attacks, answers only when called.
I honestly think Janus is town at this point, though that could change with his next round of responses.

Also, vote count?
... I'm not sure if you or Pandarsenic is being more useless right now.

If you spend this much time on midterms, you're doing it wrong. First job after you're out of college, no-one cares anyways.

Pandarsenic
... I was wrong. You're being more useless.

IronyOwl, where'd you go? :-\
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 10:05:19 pm »

Back.

Reading now.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 10:40:05 pm »

Unvote self

And then there were three.  Personal attacks and lemony-flavored vitriol.  Oh good.

Horseshit.

Further reading evidences that you refuse to make any sort of response to it being pointed out that you're attacking everyone who looks at you, like some sort of rabid squirrel.

Janus, I was not STUDYING for the midterm, as was taking the midterm. It was speaking in Russian with another student with the teacher grading pronunciation, intonation, vocabulary use, etc.

Now, as nobody added to my vote on me, I will officially dub anyone who states I was lurking or activelurking in this period a hypocrite for not voting me for the supposed offense when I basically invited them to.

Wuba: Making Janus look like scum
Janus: Making Wuba's job easy. Easymode bus attempt?
IronyOwl: MIA
GlyphGryph:

Also, vote count?

This is not content. I'm activelurking? Bullshit. I was in my fucking classes you worthless twat. YOU, sir, are activelurking. Furthermore, your hypocrisy reeks of projection and use of buzzwords, GlyphGryph.

Janus, are you reflexively attacking everyone who is suspicious of you because of the time I called you out on your long refusal to OMGUS until you cave din and did? If not, what IS the reason you're attacking everyone who addresses you with suspicion? Are you attempting to cow us into buddying you? Will you vote me for pointing this out more recently then Wuba?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 10:49:57 pm »

Horseshit.
How so?

Further reading evidences that you refuse to make any sort of response to it being pointed out that you're attacking everyone who looks at you, like some sort of rabid squirrel.
No. I'm commenting on everyone. I'm attacking Webadict.

Janus, I was not STUDYING for the midterm, as was taking the midterm. It was speaking in Russian with another student with the teacher grading pronunciation, intonation, vocabulary use, etc.
You're always talking about midterms. Midterms should take no more than an hour or two out of your life once or twice a semester.

Now, as nobody added to my vote on me, I will officially dub anyone who states I was lurking or activelurking in this period a hypocrite for not voting me for the supposed offense when I basically invited them to.
Never said you were. Midterms should take an hour or two each between studying them and taking them. Not terribly pertinent to the game at hand though, except perhaps as a continued excuse to lurk.

Wuba: Making Janus look like scum
Pandarsenic: Buddying.

Janus, are you reflexively attacking everyone who is suspicious of you because of the time I called you out on your long refusal to OMGUS until you cave din and did? If not, what IS the reason you're attacking everyone who addresses you with suspicion? Are you attempting to cow us into buddying you? Will you vote me for pointing this out more recently then Wuba?
Wait what? What does 'cow us into buddying you' even mean? Buddying is something scum do. No matter how amusing it would be, I can't make someone scum.

And no. I already said that I'm voting Webadict until I'm convinced that he's not scum. I don't think you're overly scummy right now.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 10:57:57 pm »

I don't even know how I did this. One of those was supposed to be webadict.

Now, though - Yeah, panda buddy, you're scum. You weren't just lurking - thats what I'd expect from someone taking finals. No, you were giving flippant answers, and only responding when someone mentioned you, and now look what you're doing.
What does this even mean? What period? You managed to vote and unvote in the time since I was last on the computer.

And the rest of your post? It's deflection bullshit and making excuses and warning people as if I give damn about hypocrisy if it helps uncover the scum.

And really? My post wasn't content? Because my last post? That's the kind of crap you've been pulling this entire game so far. You've been sitting back and looking for an opening, posting a ton of no content, looking for a nice easy target to latch onto and hoping everyone focuses on the fights.

Pandarsenic

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010, 12:31:22 am »

I have absolutely not been posting "No content" and if I was waiting for an easy target I'd be voting JanusTwoFace, but instead I WAITED FOR HIM TO ANSWER ME because I WASN'T SURE HE WAS SCUM.

I voted then unvoted myself because I'm sick of people going "HURRR HE TOOK A MIDTERM HE IS SCUM" in every game I'm in. I wanted to force people to either vote me for it then or fuck off.

Choose one.

Janus: You have, in a rapid sequence, voted multiple people for attacking you and unvoted IronyOwl the second he went "eh might not be scum." That's what I find problematic. Are you concerned that IronyOwl may have been buddying you (as I'm concerned you may be buddying me when calling me town because I'm feeling derp after last game)?

LoL game starting, more after.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010, 12:50:11 am »

I voted then unvoted myself because I'm sick of people going "HURRR HE TOOK A MIDTERM HE IS SCUM" in every game I'm in. I wanted to force people to either vote me for it then or fuck off.
Which explains why you unvoted yourself. But not at all why you voted yourself.

Janus: You have, in a rapid sequence, voted multiple people for attacking you and unvoted IronyOwl the second he went "eh might not be scum." That's what I find problematic. Are you concerned that IronyOwl may have been buddying you (as I'm concerned you may be buddying me when calling me town because I'm feeling derp after last game)?
I've voted two people and not in rapid sequence. I unvoted IronyOwl when I was convinced that he was likely innocent based on the sum of his responses. I don't actually see his behavior as buddying but thats for you to make your own mind about.

I still like an answer to the question I posed in my last post directed at him though. (IronyOwl... you listening?)

And I never said that you're town. I said that I don't think that you're overly scummy. I'm still quite open to either possibility. Just not pursing either at this point in time.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 01:54:22 pm »

Sorry, been busy. SO MUCH CATCHING UP TO DO.

So, while I have your attention, Janus, why are you trying to blitzkrieg someone? (Are you going after Toaster or Pandarsenic, because I'm still confused.) It's one thing to be aggressive, but whatever you've decided to do isn't going to work. I am having enormous difficulty even beginning to understand a word you're saying.
I'm not.  Up to this point, I'm attacking IronyOwl with a bit of fallout directed at Pandarsenic.  And it would be quite a feat to get Toaster lynched.  Pay attention.
The way you phrased it, you knew I was scum because I was clearly token tapping my scumbuddy. Was I token tapping a townie instead for some reason?

So because it's a quick game, nonsense is alright? Huh?
It's only really "quicker" because there's five players and a distinct possibility of ending on Day 1 with a bit of luck (be it good or bad).  Because it's Hammer it can be as long as it needs to be.
I misread. Let me rephrase that as "So because it's early in the game terrible logic is alright?"

Alright, but as you just said, we're early in the game. If your argument was that he was lurking or active lurking and therefore scum, why didn't you come out and say it instead of mentioning how vulgar he was? If your argument isn't that he's lurking or activelurking, what is it? That your first few words are the most critical?

It also doesn't explain why you think that in the first place. I don't think I've ever seen him not angry.
My argument was that he was being vulgar.  He wasn't lurking in any form at that point, but he was vulgar.  You do have a point that he's always angry and less so this time around though.

Not sure if that means that he's town or just better at covering it up this time around.
Then you've just admitted to making up and argument completely. He's vulgar when he's scum, but he's less vulgar than usual so he's either town or covering it up well? NO SHIT SHERLOCK, WHERE DOES THIS GET RELEVANT?

You don't remember this? It was around 7% of your total content at the time.
Yay statistics! :D  (Did you actually calculate that?)
I did. By word count, contractions count as one word.

It's fairly implied, since the reason you think I'm scum is because I unvoted him without sufficient cause. So either he's scum, or he's acting scummy and I didn't care. You made it quite clear it was the former, but you might be able to change your story without too much difficulty.
The reason I think you're scum is because you're scum.  Do you want me to change my story?  That whole second half just feels weird.
"You're scum because you're scum" is not a useful response.

I know you know what sarcasm is. And if you didn't, you'd immediately want to know why I thought GlyphGryph was town.
It's true.  I do.  Do you?
I do, but it would mean you used it to avoid having to answer the question.

So you're the other scum? That's a load off my mind, I thought it'd be a pain convincing Pandar not to bus me.
Completely not the point.  The point was that it's theoretically possible to convince your scumbuddy to lynch you (if he feels that he would benefit from the bus) but should be impossible to convince you to lynch yourself no matter your alignment.
Fair enough. Still doesn't explain why you feel no need to explain yourself. Perhaps because between you and your buddy you've got two voted in the bag?

I should probably unvote JanusTwoface to avoid incidents, however.
What incidents might those be exactly?
Reckless/scum hammers. I'm in no rush.

That being said, I'm convinced that you're more likely town than scum at this point.  Could be wrong, but that's something to deal with later.  unvote
Cool. You call me scum and not scum in the same post. This is not how you apply pressure, and since your arguments are garbage, I can't fathom what else you were trying to do.

But oh, you made sure to mention you could be wrong, so you can hop back on later if conditions permit/require.

You RV IronyOwl off the bat, then tunnel that into the ground, while throwing off passive attacks at Pandarsenic. I FoS you and then you vote me for no reason at all really. In fact, you expressed little concern for me UNTIL I FoSed you.
I was determining if I thought IronyOwl was scum or town. It worked.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Minor casualty, everyone thinks you're tunneling scum now. But hey 66% chance for vengekill to hit scum is a pretty awesome way to win!

It's no less effective than the average random vote questions.  I'll believe you if and only if you flip town and IronyOwl flips scum.
Really? How convinced are you that I'm town now?

Too townie? No. "Voice of reason"? yes.
I see. So, the quotes are supposed to explain your points for you then? I've got this little idea about you. See, you started the game off loud, in hopes of creating an image of activity for yourself. Since the beginning is all random voting, you can't be called out for anything, so you make fallacious arguments and push them. However, you're also doing this to see if anyone jumps on them. From there, I can see you diverging in two ways:
First Case: if someone votes with you, you'll either continue this line further, have your partner hammer, or jump onto the person that voted with you. Since you have fallacious arguments, it'd be easy to attack anyone that followed you, and even if you made yourself an enemy, your ultimate goal would be to get a lynch in. This involves attacking very fast and seemingly hard against several people, in hopes of getting one of them lynched. You'll also hide behind RVS.
Second Case: if someone doesn't vote the person you're voting for, you'll jump off, claiming to have had some epiphany about their alignment after your attack. You can hide behind this because, of course, it was RVS, and "you didn't have anything better." This means if you do this fast enough, you can jump to someone who will eventually be scummy enough for you. Hence, the whole rushing aspect. So, your goal here is just to jump fast.

You are scum.
Janus, you have an actual response to this? Seems plausible to me.

Also, vote count?
WHY? You explain Pandar, then declare me and webadict possibly scum, and Janus probably town, without explaining why.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2010, 04:35:31 pm »

Then you've just admitted to making up and argument completely. He's vulgar when he's scum, but he's less vulgar than usual so he's either town or covering it up well? NO SHIT SHERLOCK, WHERE DOES THIS GET RELEVANT?
When I first posted it, he was being his usual vulgar self.

I do, but it would mean you used it to avoid having to answer the question.
Which question?

Reckless/scum hammers. I'm in no rush.
... so do you think I'm scum or not?  Because there has yet to be a point in the game where there's even then chance of a hammer without the scum being completely obvious about it.

You and webadict keep parroting this rushing argument. The game doesn't feel rushed. We've come nowhere near lynching anyone.

Cool. You call me scum and not scum in the same post. This is not how you apply pressure, and since your arguments are garbage, I can't fathom what else you were trying to do.
Applying pressure is getting people talking. Which is what I did. You talked and by the end of that post I had determined that you weren't being scummy. Then you disappeared for a day, which is somewhat suspicious but not unique.

And would you rather I just not mention I could be wrong? I'm still going to think it.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Minor casualty, everyone thinks you're tunneling scum now. But hey 66% chance for vengekill to hit scum is a pretty awesome way to win!
Huh? How do you get 66%?

Really? How convinced are you that I'm town now?
Convinced enough to stop voting you...  Obviously.

Janus, you have an actual response to this? Seems plausible to me.
Because you asked so nicely:

- If someone votes with me before I'm convinced that you're innocent, then I'll continue to vote you.
- No, I'm not joing to jump onto the person who voted me. Why would I?
- You're stuck on this idea of my rushing the game. I maintain that I wasn't trying to and didn't actually rush the game.
- My stance is and always has been that RVS is bull, so why would I hide behind it. The whole point of scum hunting is to get people to talk, which I'm doing.

- If no one else votes you before I'm convinced you're innocent, I'll stay right where I am.
- If someone else becomes so scummy that I can't ignore them, then maybe I'll hammer.  With the players in this game, I doubt that'll be an issue.
- If my goal were to jump fast, why have I only changed my vote once all game?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:01 pm »

WHY? You explain Pandar, then declare me and webadict possibly scum, and Janus probably town, without explaining why.
You're not Panda, why do you care? Do you think you need to defend him for some reason? Hell, do you think its scummy of me? Because frankly, you just wrote up that whole long post and spent all that time responding to someone who's apparently decided you were town and moved on, and completely gave up on any opportunity of going on the attack (if you think he's scummy), or using your time doing something productive by hunting someone else (if you don't). But no, you wasted all that time simply responding.
I've got to be honest - other than your opinion that Janus is playing poorly (which is the gist I've got from your post), what I got from that post is you're more interested of clearing yourself of any suspicions that have been levied against you than you are of actually finding the scum. Are you actually attacking him? Do you actually think he's scum? Or are you just pushing him off?
Instead, you seem to be trying to lay the groundwork for someone ELSE to do all the work accusing him of being scum, so that when he gets lynched and turns town, you have plausible reliability.

So, am I close to home here? Strike any chords?

And I voted Pandarsenic because I think he's scum. I don't have any fancy analysis. But something strikes me wrong about every post he's made in this game so far - I'm not good at Meta, so maybe you can tell me. Does he usually play as passively as this? Because I didn't think he did. And its just not that he's not been posting as much as other players, no, its the content of his posts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10