Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Landlocked pond near ocean generates waves  (Read 1504 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
[38c] Landlocked pond near ocean generates waves
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Not sure if this qualifies as a bug -- maybe it's just a really small ocean?  The pond is about 25x25 and doesn't have any connection to the ocean.

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Footkerchief ]

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Landlocked pond near ocean generates waves
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

Wave action in reality is usually produced by two things.. wind and temperature variations in the water.  Any body of water of sufficient size will produce wave, regardless of whether or not it's attached to other bodies of water.    :)

The shape of the ground in the body of water will shape the wave action.  For starters, shallow water tends to reduce the energy of the wave action (even as it makes the strength of the wave visible as a breaker).

Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 02:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Thassa:
<STRONG>Wave action in reality is usually produced by two things.. wind and temperature variations in the water.  Any body of water of sufficient size will produce wave, regardless of whether or not it's attached to other bodies of water.        :)

The shape of the ground in the body of water will shape the wave action.  For starters, shallow water tends to reduce the energy of the wave action (even as it makes the strength of the wave visible as a breaker).</STRONG>

I'm familiar with how real waves work.  However, this doesn't look like intended behavior -- the waves actually start at one corner and travel all the way to the opposite corner, and wash up with just as much energy as "real" ocean waves.  It often happens in at least 3 of the corners simultaneously, too.  If DF was actually doing a wind ripple simulation it wouldn't look anything like that.

e: did you think I meant 25x25 world tiles?  I mean 25x25 tiles in fortress mode gameplay -- like, 25 dwarf-widths.

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Footkerchief ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

I think I've since fixed a bug that create some of these pockets, but might be other ways for them to come up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!