Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Kael's "Ask a monk" - IamA Buddhist monk, AMA extravaganza  (Read 17003 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Kael's "Ask a monk" - IamA Buddhist monk, AMA extravaganza
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:48:55 pm »

I've posted in threads and gotten a bunch of questions and PMs asking me about my time as a Buddhist monk. Since it's rather hard to answer them all where ever they are, I will answer anything and everything here- although there may be a few days lag. If you want an appropriate picture shoutout, give me a week or so.  :)

I am a monk in the Thai Theravadan Buddhist order, Ask me Anything.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:56:02 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kael's "Ask a monk" - IamA Buddhist monk, AMA extravaganza
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:01:08 pm »

Would you define being a monk/buddhism as a religion, or a way of life? I've always looked at Buddhism as a religion until a few months ago, which at the time I began wondering about it. I've searched around and it doesn't seem there's a clear thing about it.

Have you practiced mediation yet? Does it help to relieve stress and, I don't know, think clearer? I'd like to start, but I feel like meditation is different from 'Sit and try to relax'. Have you ever had an Out of Body Experience from meditating?

Also, a picture shoutout would be lovely.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:01:51 pm »

Is the "Thai Theravadan Buddhist order" anything like the Shao-Lin guys?  You certainly dress alike.  I ask, because I got a book about a the modern Shao-Lin guys from a relative for some weird reason, and I want to know what kind of physical stuff you do as a monk, if anything.  Not that I'm expecting to hear tales of breaking bricks with your crotch or anything.

Except I actually am, because that would be really cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 06:13:24 pm »

Did you actually mine with that thing?

Is the best question I could come up with, for now.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 06:25:04 pm »

Can you remove someone's heart without them knowing it, or is that just the Shaolin monks? On a more serious note: that is a very nice pickaxe you've got there.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 06:25:56 pm »

Not quite related to your monkship, but do you still hold an interest for fire breathing?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »

I guess my first question would be where did you get that nice pickaxe?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 06:33:38 pm »

Would you define being a monk/buddhism as a religion, or a way of life? I've always looked at Buddhism as a religion until a few months ago, which at the time I began wondering about it. I've searched around and it doesn't seem there's a clear thing about it.
Access to insight has a fairly decent explanation on it, if you wish to read it all. I don't agree with everything they write, however.

TL;DR: Buddhism is a way of life based on the teachings of the Buddha. It is non-theistic (a belief in god or gods is ultimately irrelevant to happiness), practical method to dispelling suffering and finding ultimate happiness. It contains elements of a religion and philosophy, but those labels ultimately fail at defining it's nature. The Buddha was an enlightened human being, not a god, that teaches the art of happiness.

Have you practiced mediation yet? Does it help to relieve stress and, I don't know, think clearer? I'd like to start, but I feel like meditation is different from 'Sit and try to relax'. Have you ever had an Out of Body Experience from meditating?
Meditation is the heart of the practice. I find it helps relieve stress, suffering, and most fundamentally... pain.
I haven't had any out of body experiences from meditating, although I have had many insights into the nature of reality and more importantly, myself.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/guided.html is a good starting point.
Is the "Thai Theravadan Buddhist order" anything like the Shao-Lin guys?  You certainly dress alike.  I ask, because I got a book about a the modern Shao-Lin guys from a relative for some weird reason, and I want to know what kind of physical stuff you do as a monk, if anything.  Not that I'm expecting to hear tales of breaking bricks with your crotch or anything.

Except I actually am, because that would be really cool.
We're different ;) The Theravadans place an importance on the development of mindfulness and concentration in order to build wisdom and understand the nature of being and to overcome suffering. (Did you ever see that picture of the vietnamese monk who set fire to himself to protest the treatment of Buddhists under the American-backed oppressive regime and calmly meditated as he burned to death?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%ADch_Qu%E1%BA%A3ng_%C4%90%E1%BB%A9c
Purposely harming other living beings and focused development of the body is discouraged. The most physical stuff I do is tend to the temples ;) Although Shaolin is quite interesting stuff.

EDIT: Buddhism has as many different sects as any other "religion", the Theravadan order is supposedly the oldest and one that relies the least on 'rituals' and focuses the most on the self rather than external forces. By some other orders, such as the Mahayana popular in China and Japan, it is often viewed as pessimistic for focusing on the self rather than aiming for enlightenment out of a sense of compassion to save others.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:05:53 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 06:42:04 pm »

Did you actually mine with that thing?
For fish.
Can you remove someone's heart without them knowing it, or is that just the Shaolin monks?
The stories I could tell you before I entered the monkhood and was dating... Oh, you mean physically.

No, I'm afraid. See above response to Aqizzar.
Not quite related to your monkship, but do you still hold an interest for fire breathing?
Yes, but when I choose to disrobe. :) A friend sent me these videos of me with slow-motion deathstar fire poi from months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bynPfDPo9fU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJrII6r21Y

I guess my first question would be where did you get that nice pickaxe?
Dwarves.  :D

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 06:52:31 pm »

Why and how did you join? Since I haven't been following your exploits at all and thought you were merely living with monks on a holiday or something.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 07:01:53 pm »

Is short hair a requirement for monks?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 07:13:25 pm »

Why and how did you join? Since I haven't been following your exploits at all and thought you were merely living with monks on a holiday or something.
I joined because I wanted a better understanding of my purpose in life and how to deal with the suffering inherent in the systems all around me. I petitioned a local temple in the SF bay that my family had known for ages and starting months ago began memorising chants passed down 2500+ years from the time of the Buddha dealing with the impermanence of the body, the failures of the 6 senses (typical 5 senses and the mind), and placing faith in the Triple Gem, that is, the Buddha, the Dhamma/dharma (his teachings, the way/nature of reality), and the Sangha (the order of monks/nuns/spiritual seekers).

Yes. Our hair is shaved every fortnight, eyebrows included. I shave daily as well.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 07:15:01 pm »

Yes. Our hair is shaved every fortnight, eyebrows included. I shave daily as well.

Is that all the hair you shave?  Yeah, it's stupid, but you never know what kind of arcane rules monastic orders come up with.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 07:18:35 pm »

Is that all the hair you shave?
That is all that is required. IE: My chest, armpits, and elsewhere are fine the way they are.

It's amazing how much of one's identity is based on hairstyles.

Spoiler: Bonus temple cat. (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:21:58 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 07:21:36 pm »

Is that "for fish" literal? As in, the practice has actually gone and integrated internet meme references into it's [whatever it is those intentionally random/arbitrary tasks are called]?

ALSO: I have seen plenty of arguments for how Buddhist practice makes you suffer less and be happy, but no cases WHY you should bother to avoid suffering or seek out happiness! Why should I care about such arbitrary facts about my brain? (I actually don't know how you'd solve that riddle without concepts like evolutionary psychology, universal computation and utility functions. It'd be interesting to see.)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5