Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bow/Crossbow  (Read 6012 times)

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
Bow/Crossbow
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:55:22 pm »

Why the hell do when i shoot them several "rounds" passes? Is there a way to reduce it?

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bow/Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:56:42 pm »

The rounds that are passing are you reloading your crossbow. Higher agility should make it faster, along with strength and kinesthetic sense, plus a couple others.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 04:42:00 pm »

I feel that reloading should be an action separate from firing. Makes no sense, and makes playing a CBman excessively dangerous, otherwise.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:47:03 pm »

I feel that reloading should be an action separate from firing. Makes no sense, and makes playing a CBman excessively dangerous, otherwise.

I always thought that too. I mean in battle if there is an advancing enemy coming to you you don't shoot then reload as they hack on you.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 05:12:06 pm »

Also, I love sneaking up on the enemy, firing bolts at them from just far enough away to be safe in case I'm spotted during reload, and to drop the CB and switch to a melee weapon when they do make the spot.

With separate reload/firing actions, it'd be possible to go a lot closer...and to dual-wield loaded crossbows as an opening act :D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 06:09:54 pm »

Also, I love sneaking up on the enemy, firing bolts at them from just far enough away to be safe in case I'm spotted during reload, and to drop the CB and switch to a melee weapon when they do make the spot.

With separate reload/firing actions, it'd be possible to go a lot closer...and to dual-wield loaded crossbows as an opening act :D

The mental images you have given me have made my day...

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 06:58:01 pm »

Better yet, Have a sword in one arm and a crossbow in the other, Cut there legs from benith them and finish them with a bolt to the head
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 08:07:30 pm »

The rounds that are passing are you reloading your crossbow. Higher agility should make it faster, along with strength and kinesthetic sense, plus a couple others.

High "Archer" skill decreases reloading time. With legendary "archer" skill, enemies move only about 3 squares closer each time you shoot, instead of murdering you.

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 08:24:56 pm »

I feel like there aught to be a a token that adjusts the reload time, personally. For one thing, bows should be a lot faster to reload than a crossbow- and the crossbows should hit a hell of a lot harder than a bow. Would be nice to see both being the case. Right now it looks like both have the power of a bow and the reload speed of a crossbow- the worst of both worlds.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 02:48:09 pm »

I feel like there aught to be a a token that adjusts the reload time, personally. For one thing, bows should be a lot faster to reload than a crossbow- and the crossbows should hit a hell of a lot harder than a bow. Would be nice to see both being the case. Right now it looks like both have the power of a bow and the reload speed of a crossbow- the worst of both worlds.

They should?

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »

They should?
Yes, in real life crossbows are faster and have higher penetration than bows, even by a professional bowman.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 03:42:11 pm »

PLz make crossbows better weapons and add an r reload option  :D

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 06:40:44 pm »

The difference between bows and crossbows is as following (and if anyone cares, I'll explain them in comparison to guns, too.):

Bows require a lot of strength to draw, and even more to keep them drawn - which makes careful aiming very hard. Also, they're a lot more difficult simply to use at all, due to the high tension in one's hand - ears and fingers are at high risk.

Crossbows are complex machines to build, but simple ones to use. Basically, putting a bow on a stick takes most of the more difficult actions away from the firing and reloading procedure. A crossbow of a strength equal to that of a bow is *almost* as fast on the reload, since it takes no longer to draw it, and the only extra action is placing the bolt in the sled. Aiming a crossbow is also easier, since you can take your time without having to keep it at high tension. And a further advantage is that you can use a pre-loaded crossbow straight away, without having to notch and draw first. These two bonus perks make it extremely useful in sieges, both defensively and offensively, since you can snipe defenders off the walls (offensive), and/ or hide behind cover for reloading (defensive).

All that goes for crossbows no stronger than bows. However, once upon a time, some crafty murderer realised he could actually increase the draw strength of the crossbow far beyond what one might be able to draw with an arm's strength. So all manners of machinery were invented to make it possible to draw those beasts, which then also achieved far greater range and power than bows, at the cost of it taking a lot longer to draw the crossbow.

And we all know how far you can take a crossbows strength...the arbalests had ranges up to almost a kilometre, and roman ballistas were field artillery based on what's basically a hugely oversized crossbow.

So, in summary, bows are simpler to make and always at least a little faster to shoot with, but crossbows are simpler to use and can be upscaled to practically any strength, range and accuracy (at a cost to manufacturing complexity and reload times).

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 06:48:01 pm »

So a harpoon gun is similar to a crossbow in a way?

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 06:51:50 pm »

So a harpoon gun is similar to a crossbow in a way?

A crossbow is essentially a semi automatic bow, where as a harpoon gun is a gun specially designed to shoot a harpoon.

Atleast I think so?
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.
Pages: [1] 2