Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963830 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5820 on: November 14, 2013, 09:44:17 pm »

The fall is the part that scares me though. I feel a little scared when other people, even fictional ones, lean over rails.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: November 14, 2013, 09:46:21 pm »

When I did my gliding lessons, we had to have a parachute for health and safety, but the instructors were quite clear if we bailed out there was a large chance it wouldn't deploy by the time you hit the ground. So in truth it was kinda pointless.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: November 14, 2013, 10:04:43 pm »

I don't know if I actually have any specific phobias, although I do sometimes nearly panic myself when I consider the nature of existence.

It's the opposite for me.  Most people seem to experience some kind of crisis when they think about life as having no **ultimate purpose**, certainty of afterlife/absolution, or divine figure watching over with some grand design.  I find it uplifting.  Life is more interesting without all that stuff.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: November 14, 2013, 10:43:58 pm »

Yeah, I'd much rather have control over my life than have the meaning and purpose behind it imposed from on high. That the universe is meaningless, and that we can impose our own meaning on the universe and lives, is so much more freeing~

I'm not a damn sheep, I'm a person. :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: November 15, 2013, 12:09:26 am »

What scares me is the feeling of not having any control within a free will scenario. Basically, that the world is actively out to get you, and opposes you at every turn, no matter how minor or inconsequential.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: November 15, 2013, 12:38:40 am »

I don't know if I actually have any specific phobias, although I do sometimes nearly panic myself when I consider the nature of existence.

It's the opposite for me.  Most people seem to experience some kind of crisis when they think about life as having no **ultimate purpose**, certainty of afterlife/absolution, or divine figure watching over with some grand design.  I find it uplifting.  Life is more interesting without all that stuff.
Beta Ray Bill, man. Beta Ray Bill.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: November 15, 2013, 12:42:56 am »

I've got heights. It works in rather strange ways, though. I can be standing on the porch roof replacing shingles and feel intense vertigo even though I've not gone more than 5-6 meters above ground, but I can sit comfortably on the outside railing of a scaffold three or four stories up and be fine, regardless of whether I'm over deep, muddy water or concrete. Ten minutes later, I can be climbing up a rickety ladder, swaying with the wind and water, less than two stories above the same concrete or water, and be terribly frightened, enough that I can't finish my work. When I go on roller coasters I get just enough of a kick to make it more interesting.

:x
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:01:41 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: November 15, 2013, 12:59:07 am »

That's why you poke it with a stick and say "Enough, you."

Edit: 2 Ninjas but I don't see why this doesn't apply still.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5828 on: November 15, 2013, 08:10:29 am »

I feel crisis when I think that after my future death, I won't exist to feel anything, including the fact that I don't exist, forever
 :/
Merely typing this gave me that terrible chill T_T

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: November 15, 2013, 08:14:58 am »

Making online homework:

(selected option) is wrong. The correct option is: (correct option).

>.>

edit: wait this is not the rage thread. How did this happen?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:17:59 am by Dutchling »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: November 15, 2013, 10:29:49 am »

I feel crisis when I think that after my future death, I won't exist to feel anything, including the fact that I don't exist, forever
 :/
Merely typing this gave me that terrible chill T_T

This, so much. It's not even uncertainty, because the preponderance of the evidence is such that it's as close to assured as we can get that once you die, that's it. You're unthinking wormfood. The You-that-is ceases to exist forever, the end. The closest you'll come to immortality is if you do something truly great, and then, at very best, you've got a few centuries of people remembering your work. If you're incredibly lucky, you might persist in the collective knowledge of humanity as a portrait and a few quotable lines, maybe an amusing anecdote that passes down through your family like an old pocketwatch. If you even have children.

Try not to think about it. ;.;

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: November 15, 2013, 10:31:37 am »

Great, now I'm thinking about it and I have to go to work in a few minutes.
._________.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:56 am »

S'why I've always preferred a certain villanelle penned by Dylan Thomas over other approaches to dealing with death.

3. Run Resize Enable

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: November 15, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »

We must attempt to preserve our brains!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: November 15, 2013, 12:51:40 pm »

Even that doesn't bother me so much.  If life were infinite, it wouldn't be special.  There's beauty innate in the ephemeral.  Plus, it's literally impossible for there to be anything unpleasant about non-existence.  As the old quote goes, "I'm not afraid of dying.  I just don't want to be there when it happens."

And none of that is to say that I'm not interested in ridiculous longevity.  There's too much I want to do.  I need hundreds of years.  The thought of snuffing out before having the opportunity to do much of what I want does really bother me.  But just the notion that it will happen eventually?  Not so much.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 1420