Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ascension of dwarf heros  (Read 1826 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Ascension of dwarf heros
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:00:44 pm »

Sometimes, a dwarf ascends all normalicy, Tholtig, Cacame, Ironblood, all great dwarfs in threads ive read, but other than their kill count and the communitys reverance to such idols of awesomeness, they get almost no ingame recognision. The ability for dwarfs to develop new gods when certain individuals reach a certain kill number and then be worshiped, a bit like warhammer fantesy dwarven gods, would add alot to the game as players recognise their old fortress dwarfs and in future when religion is expanded, be able to have their current dwarfs worship them etc. I think it would keep the badassery going well beyond its current limits of dwarven age and legends told to youngsters.

Ive put this in the Eternal suggestion thing, so if you like it, have a look. personaly: ide love to have an uber-dwarf and in a later fortress have a cult dedicated to them. Or a fortress that once had an uber-dwarf and now worships the dead guy as their patron god. would fit in with any religion ark toady has planned very neatly, and gives players a chance to influence their pantheon.

what do you guys think? Pardon my spelling and not searching for the subject by the by, but i never did learn how to use those things and i dont intend to xP if the suggestions been up before ill delete this thread for tidyness. Please post what you think about the idea :P
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
Re: Ascension of dwarf heros
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:11:11 pm »

seems a bit extreme, but patron saint sounds perfect.

it also might acknowledge the lvl 7 legendary dwarf or 2.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:18:51 am »

First we'd need such high skill take effort to learn. Standing in the danger room for a few seasons probably shouldn't make you a demigod, physically or in a religious sense.

At least Champion is an honorary position now. It sort of counts for this.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:37:31 am »

i think the game is steadily heading in this direction now that CIV leaders actually start to recognise you, but i'd like it to go further. IMO the player if he plays long enough and well enough should be able to radically change the world for the long term. So having religions or sects based around your actions, or wars fought in your name, or young men leaving home trying to emulate you, or political maps altered by your actions etc.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:23:42 pm »

What this actually needs is a persistent Reputation or Renown trait, or somesuch, which could be tracked for all dwarves of Legendary status or better.  This way dwarves who are awesome at something aren't recognized unless their feats are spread.  This could happen though the export of masterwork goods or the tales of bards or liasons or other visiting nobles.  It could result in specific requests from visiting nobles ("I would like two tables and two chairs crafted by Urist McLegendaryMason.  I will stay the season in anticipation of this gift to my estate.") which could result in some interesting bonus.  (Gifts in return, or a discount on a type of good in the next caravan, as examples.)

Dwarves who are Legendary Militarydwarves already have the Champion title, which right now doesn't do much.  How could such a dwarf play into the concept of renown short of waiting for the armies arc to come and let them be drafted to lead an army in a civilization-wide battle to be fought elsewhere.

Just because a dwarf is Legendary +5 in a particular skill, it shouldn't mean that they are exalted to some semi-religious position.  That intrudes on the religion arc stuff, which it shouldn't.  Extra recognition is appropriate, however.  And it should have some in-game effects to play with.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:58:32 pm »

IIRC the Weapon Attachment system already tracks something similar, with dwarves being attached to weapons through any kind of use but naming them only after they get used in the killing of a powerful enemy. Something of that sort could be involved in Fort Mode Ascensions, requiring a Legendary Dwarf who accomplishes something incredible (constructing a Legendary item and attaining nobility, killing a goblin leader or a clown, etc), and probably a more elaborate tomb. Though this seems like the sort of thing that would do better in Adventure Mode. In any event it should be possible to find/build a shrine marking a saint's deathplace, with relics etc.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:41:50 am »

i certainly agree with the majority of comments mind, though i wasent thinking on the entire thing being easy, i mean, theirs not realy that many dwarfs who are appropriet for such a thing and if ever implamented i doubt toady would forget to reflect that. Though to be fair this is very low priority compared to most other additions. Also: i do belive the arks should be inter-connected, this is a game that builds a world up from its geology and simulates skin layers after all.

goblinmarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:33:21 am »

I think it's a good idea to have your epic dwarves influence the fortress somehow. I like the patron saint idea. Your fort starts off with no saints of its own, they're brought from the controlling civ. As your dwarves accomplish crazy acts, they can become your own personal saints. With the caveat that they must be dead, must be buried in the fortress, and must have a tomb of a certain value. This would enable canonizing of your dwarves. After they attain this status you could have a wave of new children be named after them. Make it so that unhappy dwarves could visit the shrine of their patron saint and get happy thoughts. That way once you get your own it gives you another way to keep dwarves happy when disasters occur. You could even track which god the saint followed and have fellow worshippers go on a pilgrimage to visit the patron saint in your fortress. Sort of a sub-class of migrant. Perhaps a priest would come and demand you build a monastery for followers of the way of Saint Urist McGoblinSlayer. Then the followers would start some sort of religious movement in the monastery that could interact with your dwarves in interesting ways.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 01:28:54 pm »

goblin marine, basically, you think fortress saints should link in with the religion arc stuff. Just say that :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:55:58 pm »

I think kills would be a good way to track for ascendancy. I would love to see my dorf with 50 kills become a god.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 12:03:39 pm »

I think kills would be a good way to track for ascendancy. I would love to see my dorf with 50 kills become a god.

i doubt that 50 kills is enought for god hood my freind, perhaps the marker for a 'true champion' but not even close to god hood. sorry.
saints probably would be at 200-300 kills,
ide probably mark god hood around about 2000 kills.

obceen numbers like that. -sorry for my spelling-

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 02:25:03 pm »

I think you should acumulate a portion of the kills of whoever you kill. Meaning that if someone has 10 kils and you kill him you get maybe for 6 kills worth of points.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 06:31:38 pm »

So we're only have military dwarven heroes, eh? Or at the very least, it'll be easier. Can't see legendary chefs getting a portion of the experience of whatever they cook.

(Fantastic bug, right there. Cook with thousands of meals and kills under his belt from cooking up wild beasts which have, in, turn, preyed upon other wild beasts.)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 08:18:32 pm »

i doubt that 50 kills is enought for god hood my freind, perhaps the marker for a 'true champion' but not even close to god hood. sorry.
saints probably would be at 200-300 kills,
ide probably mark god hood around about 2000 kills.
Hehehe. Why sure, you can be a god through killing
 Kill one man and you are a murderer.
  Kill ten men and you are a psychopath.
   Kill a hundred men and you are a hero.
    Kill a thousand men and you are a general.
     Kill ten-thousand men and you are a king.
      Kill them all and you are a god.

I think that ascension through methods of building and perfection (and well, god-like cooking) should be preferable to everyone involved, even (especially) because it's quieter, calmer; more simplistic and straightforward. Without any massive fanfare, without any incredibly deadly trials, and without any enemies devoted purely to making it fail. Just pure greatness devoted to something good and solid. By the corpses of the fallen, the graves of the war hero's enemies, are long gone and forgotten, there will still be that heroically▬ godly▬ carved dining room coasting along with the planets geologic plates shifting, and giving any dwarf estastic regardless of how they felt before (after coming within 30m of it, if they actually enter it they will be estastic for the rest of their lives).

I think you should acumulate a portion of the kills of whoever you kill. Meaning that if someone has 10 kils and you kill him you get maybe for 6 kills worth of points.
It shouldn't give you "kill points" or anything gamey like that, just a more expanded version of what it already does; tracking how notable a kill is, and why.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.