Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Weapon mod mod.  (Read 6327 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Weapon mod mod.
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:29:12 pm »

Hello there. I've made a small mod (which in itself is part of a much larger mod, that is nowhere near completed.) that adds a variety of weapon modifications, one workshop, weapon modification materials and a weapon, the slotting knife, meant for crafting, not combat. It only works in Fortress mode only as of now. I might add adventurer mode compatability if there's much of a cry for it.

The download is here

Now genesis compatible! Genesis mod is made by deon and pretty awesome, and I highly reccomend it.

Two weapon modifications were inspired by weapons from civilization forge, the War bow and the Raven Beak.

If you prefer to look up stuff about the weapons in the raws as opposed to finding out on your own (much like myself), then I beat you to the punch! Check the spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Installing the mod is as simple as extracting all the text files into your raws folder. Only the entity_default should be overwritten.

Let me know via this topic if any bugs crop up, or you have any suggestions for new modifications.

Overall a pretty tiny mod, but I hope people get something out of it.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:58:50 pm by Seriyu »

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon mod mod.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:54:33 pm »

Very interesting ideas, I gotta say, I definitely approve! :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:57:42 pm »

I especially like the crossbow bayonets.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:48:49 am »

I especially like the crossbow bayonets.
I have this stuff in Wasteland (you can attach bayonets to rifles) and I think it's just about time to port it to Genesis :).

With this modification ranged fighters become much more universal and deadly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:57:12 am »

You know, despite awesome sounding, from the perspective of game balance, a weapon that's good at both ranged and melee (read: totally trashing the rest) can be considered OP and not desirable.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:16:05 am »

Sort of what I was thinking... I mean I changed my cross bows so that the meele attack was using the object user skill, just to make sure I couldn't convert hammer dwarfs over for super effectivness, I'm not a fan of an easy game.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:16:59 am »

You know, despite awesome sounding, from the perspective of game balance, a weapon that's good at both ranged and melee (read: totally trashing the rest) can be considered OP and not desirable.
What do you prefer: a universal weapon or a legendary dwarves being killed by minnows/groundhogs?

Also, from a logical point of view, how hard is it to add a sharp knife to the end of a crossbow?
Remember that it will never be as good as a sword or an axe, so it's just a way to make you able to kill something.
And in the world where mere punches can brain a minotaur, a simple sharp end will never be OP.
The problem is that right now they punch stronger than hit with a crossbow.

Of course if you make a giant axe which shoots serrated disks, THAT would be overpowered. Wait, I think I am going to mod it in now!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:23:17 am »

What do you prefer: a universal weapon or a legendary dwarves being killed by minnows/groundhogs?

The second one, with the groundhogs, that sounds like fun to me!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 03:04:12 am »

The second one, with the groundhogs, that sounds like fun to me!
No way in spoiler. That always piss me off to no ends. I'd rather take the bayonet if punches are indeed superior to crossbow butting. Heck, those rifle butts in medal of honor hit for like 30/hit.

Note to self: look through weapon balance.

EDIT: on a side note, serrated discs are expensive AND heavy. It's like say, bazooka, and is balanced given the economic and mobility cost.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:08:10 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 03:12:22 am »

I laugh like I'm on drugs every time I see some epic, well armed dwarf, die to a lucky strike. Am I the only one who still has fun while having fun? With every dwarf who dies to totaly unforseen conditions, I giggle like a school girl. You should have seen me with my first ghost, I practicly needed to change my pants.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 03:14:33 am »

Eh no, I forgot how to giggle like a girl when I was like 9 or 10.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 03:16:02 am »

So sad... I weep for you Deon.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 08:53:13 am »

Eh no, I forgot how to giggle like a girl when I was like 9 or 10.

Well now, that's disappointing! :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 06:50:41 pm »

While I did give the tinker workshop and reactions to the humans, for all it does for the balence issue, I realize I forgot to give them to the goblins. Off to the raws. Done in the update below.

Probably won't be giving the elves the weapon mods as they don't seem the tinkering type. Miiight give them the bow blades, for all the good it'd do them with their wood weapons. And I just did, in the update below.

Although the mod wasn't necessarily made to be perfectly balanced, I did try to avoid the ideas that would completely wreck things. So if that ever crops up, let me know.   :)

On a semi related note, does anyone know if they've ever seen an anvil for sale in adventure mode? I have an idea.

EDIT: Update. Adds the reactions to goblins and a wooden bayonet reaction to elves. Along with a tinker building that doesn't use mechanics, again, for elves. Also added the bladed bow reaction for elves. Elves elves elves.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3579
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:36:34 pm by Seriyu »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:34:57 pm »

About that ravens beak, have you gotten that to work without the AI allmost exclusively using the edged attack?

Asking for a polearm mod, which includes a polehammer.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5