Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Weapon mod mod.  (Read 6328 times)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon mod mod.
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 02:16:48 am »

Code: [Select]
The issue is they're using the spiked attack too much. :p
An edged attack with a very low penetration value acts basically like a blunt attack.  The only problem is that it will occasionally get stuck in the target, which war-hammers generally...don't. 

[ATTACK:EDGE:20:1:bash:bashes:maul memory:9000] <- This attack is basically BLUNT
[ATTACK:EDGE:150:6000:hack:hacks:maul memory:9000] <- This is a penetrating edged attack.

Does anyone know what controls the probability of a weapon getting stuck?
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 02:18:00 am »

I'm pretty sure the penetration value controls that. And 6000 is quite a lot!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:00 am »

Can't get stuck if it comes right out the other side.  :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:37 am »

It can't come "right out the other side" in DF sadly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 02:20:58 am »

I know, but with 6000, it totaly should, and then continue to get stuck in the wall behind the guy you were stabbing.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 02:21:06 am »

How do you plan to make a full helmet different from a common helmet?

Shouldnt tweaking UPSTEP/LBSTEP change the coverage of extremities and make full helm different from helm without sacrificing COVERAGE?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 02:27:46 am »

At first, it's UBSTEP/LBSTEP and UPSTEP which are different, and it applies to upperbody/lowerbody or hands/feet, it has nothing to do with the head if you don't want something totally undesireable.

The coverage seems to be the best parameter here, since it shows how many % of strikes will land precisely on the piece of armor. Because non-full helms have open parts, it's totally logical that they shouldn't have 100% coverage, and caps too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 02:35:42 am »

Well realisticaly, your standard capeline helm (I always imagen my dwarfs in these) would cover the top of your head, as well as provide decent covage for back and sides, allowing for the off chance of a good strike, and little protection to the face. As such, 65?

If, however, you want to referance to dwarves origens in norse mythology and think of them in nasal helms, your out of luck, because they provide little protection to sides and back, so I would give those 45...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 02:44:47 am »

45 is too low. It means that every second strike (even from a groundhog) will miss the helmet completely, so there is no need in such helmet :). Gameplay-wise I would keep it around 70-80%.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 02:48:22 am »

You would, I like to see a high rate of death in major battles. Let's not forget that goblins, too, use these helms.

Just for the record, yes, I realy do get a penny every time a legendary dwarf is killed by a ground hog, so I'm doing all I can to promote the cause.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 02:50:48 am »

As I said, do not make helmets at all then :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 02:55:02 am »

Yea, but I get a good feeling from doing the best I can to take care of my dwarfs with what I have, so by having less, looking after the dwarfs becomes harder, and the feeling of satisfaction from keeping them alive is greater.

If there were steel bubbles that provide totel protection from all attacks, and I just didn't use them, and then a dwarf died to a strike to the face, I would feel bad about not propperly equipting him, but if he runs out there with the best helm possible, and still dies to a marmot, I feel good about doing what I could, and a funny death.

I don't want my dwarfs to die, but I enjoy it when they happen to from unchangable conditions.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 03:46:42 am »

As many of you have probably figured out, I have not fiddled with armor at all, ever. :P

With that said the last page or so of discussion is going to be very useful once I get to armor modifications.  :D

I'll also look at the possibility of making both of the attacks edged, one with a low contact size and penetration depth, and see how it works out. Thanks everyone!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 03:49:43 am »

No problemo! I'm sure you will allow me to blantently rip things off all your hard work on day, why I'm planning to re-release Genesis under the name 'Exodis' and call it all my own work, with the only change being the rename of 'dwarf' into 'dorf'.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 07:37:10 am »

Code: [Select]
The issue is they're using the spiked attack too much. :p
An edged attack with a very low penetration value acts basically like a blunt attack.  The only problem is that it will occasionally get stuck in the target, which war-hammers generally...don't. 

[ATTACK:EDGE:20:1:bash:bashes:maul memory:9000] <- This attack is basically BLUNT
[ATTACK:EDGE:150:6000:hack:hacks:maul memory:9000] <- This is a penetrating edged attack.

Does anyone know what controls the probability of a weapon getting stuck?

Hm, interesting. I tried this with a 0 for penetration, and it seems to behave like a blunt attack. Doesnt get stuck either. Perfect!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5