Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A few suggestions for the economy  (Read 7268 times)

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few suggestions for the economy
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:09 pm »

Okay, while the dorf Economy is as messed up as the real one at the moment, (though far more amusing) and toady isn't likely to restart it any time soon, with the caravan arc upon us, i had a few ideas about what to do about shops when it DOES eventually come back.

The first is to to have certain shop types, and have some shops be an extension of the workshop related to them. For example, a clothing shop should have a clothier's workshop as part of the building, and having a clothier present as the shop operator. Not all items would have their own shops.

The second is have certain things only available on order. For example, common clothing made of stuff like rope reeds or pig tails should be in shops, but how often is a clothier going to have call for a cave spider silk cape? Some types of items would ONLY be able to be bought this way, such as if a noble (or a player in adventure mode) wishes to buy a sword. Most blacksmiths wouldn't have spare weapons laying around.

Any feedback on this is appreciated, and i'm hoping economy returns to dorfs sooner than later with the caravan arc almost here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: A few suggestions for the economy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:40 am »

Why wouldn't a blacksmith have spare weapons to sell? That's absurd.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:03:24 am »

Agreed.

You don't run a successful or even self-sustaining business if you don't have anything to sell.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:04:38 am »

Blacksmiths most commonly made farming tools and implements in medieval society, It would be rare for him to just have a glut of weapons laying arouns, often when they did make weapons it was for armies.
*Hugs*

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:18:40 am »

Because few civilians would have the disposable income to buy a weapon or any idea how to use one, and making a single sword takes a lot of man-hours. The kind of thing a blacksmith would make on spec mostly hasn't been implemented yet; tradesmen's tools, farming implements, cooking pots and so forth.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:03:39 am »

Maybe not a sword, but spears and crossbows at the least. The blacksmiths that only made tools were in a world that didn't have rampaging goblins, hippy elves, and edritch abominations stalking the land.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:43:02 am »

Huh.  So, shops connected to workshops like stockpiles take from another, when a dwarf wants something particular, they can commission it, and it queues the order in the workspace for them.  Orders queued this way maybe shouldn't cancel automatically, though.  This might be neat.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »

Sadly, you'll probably always get a dwarf who blows all his income on something silly.

Like toy boats made of gold, or an adamantine warhammer.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 03:09:52 pm »

Adamantine warhammers sux , steel is better

Anyways why not have a single shop instead and only one shop operator that can sell any item ( ofc some nooble(its with 2 o's for a reason) will either ban the selling of some item's , and what is sold in that shop could be set  :-\)
I would like renting rooms coming back yet =3 , and perhaps renting workshops (wut) and perhaps less tantrum spirals  :'(
Desu

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »

Adamantine warhammers sux , steel is better

Err, that was his point.  Gold boats would sink, too...

One thing that might help more, though, is if we had more uses for the currently useless items.  Right now, there's a lot of junk that exists only to trade (or buy and melt down into useful metals).  It would be good to have, say, dwarven nurseries where dwarven kids play with toys.  It would be nice to treat barrels as kegs and make it so that dwarves wanted their own mug to drink out of.  Also might add metal tankards (and use flasks for alchemical stuff).  Have nobles constantly change clothing and want fancy, dyed things, expensive silks and jewelry (and the GCS made a bit more common for the sake of FUN).  Things like that.

Then, of course, you have your shops and whatnot, but people actually have a reason to buy all these goods.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:14:13 pm »

Yeah, a use for the other stuff would be nice.
Mugs would be easy i think, would work like tables, dwarves are unhappy if they need to drink directly out of the barrel. Hmm... maybe dwarven bars could work like shops? And of course, with dwarven bars, we need to have dwarven barfights.
That might piss some people off though, would mean you'd have to build a LOT of extra chairs and mugs.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 12:32:21 am »

Yeah, a use for the other stuff would be nice.
Mugs would be easy i think, would work like tables, dwarves are unhappy if they need to drink directly out of the barrel. Hmm... maybe dwarven bars could work like shops? And of course, with dwarven bars, we need to have dwarven barfights.
That might piss some people off though, would mean you'd have to build a LOT of extra chairs and mugs.

Not that hard if done right. Have the mug be an item the dwarf carries around with them. When they want something to drink they dip the mug into the bucket/barrel/etc, which adds one unit of the fluid to the mug. Then the dwarf heads to the nearest dinning hall/bar to enjoy the drink. With that set up we wouldn't have that much extra to make, just have the craftdwarves churn out a couple hundred stone mugs between the random crap you sell to the caravans (unless you sell stone mugs....then things might get a little bit harder.)
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 07:00:17 am »

There could also be a social status thing to work in all the amulets, rings and things forts always churn out. Have dwarves like wearing amulets, rings et al to show how fancy they are to their peers, and have it impact on the friends they make at parties, their chance of complaining to the mayor, and so forth.

Perhaps, running with the "commissioning stuff" idea, dwarves could get the jeweler or the bonecrafter or whoever to decorate their personal goods as well.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 07:04:35 am »

Maybe not a sword, but spears and crossbows at the least. The blacksmiths that only made tools were in a world that didn't have rampaging goblins, hippy elves, and edritch abominations stalking the land.
This is a good point, we have to keep in mind the differences in the setting when we try to apply real-world economic principles to DF. Perhaps a citizen of the town wouldn't normally be able to afford a longsword but the mayor would certainly have some spears with iron heads commissioned for town defense, and good sturdy knives are always in demand. Metalworkers would face a higher demand for weaponry in the DF world than they did in our own, where (I would imagine) demand for such things only spiked during wars.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 09:33:14 am »

as a rule yes sword are not some thing that blacksmiths have a geat stock of, but DF is set in an age where every man need to have a weapon, spears and daggers are the most commen weapons ( lower down in cost you have tools,i.e. a woodaxe)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2 3