Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Negative Created Wealth?!  (Read 925 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Negative Created Wealth?!
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »

I've got a minor problem in my current fort. I recently checked my fortress wealth for the first time in quite a while, and found that my created wealth was at less than -198 million. I have no idea when my created wealth might have gone into the toilet like that, nor do I know how I might have managed to create negative wealth in the first place, particularly since I've not been destroying any terribly-valuable things.

My questions are these. First, how could this have happened? Second, how might I undo it, beyond just creating hundreds of millions of Urists worth of stuff? Third, what effects should I expect of this impossibly-low created wealth amount? Finally, since the vast negative wealth is all in the "Other objects" category, what should I seek through to find the big negative-value item(s) that may be killing my fort's wealth?

Also, a screenshot of my status screen, with the absurd wealth numbers listed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Since I took that screenshot, my "Other Objects" wealth category has gone down somewhat further  >:( Any suggestions?

Edit: Huh, I think I found the problem:

...I've had problems with elk birds being occasionally unkillable in this fort before. I think I need to look through my raws to see if there might be something that's not initializing something about their stats and values and such.

EditEdit: ...OK, that's just weird. I've got that one exceptional elk bird totem which is worth negative 1.97 billion, and then 2 masterwork elk bird totems that are worth (positive) 2.13 billion. I think something is really wrong with my elk bird raws.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:16:44 pm by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Negative Created Wealth?!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:23:57 pm »

You must continue this fort to study the interactions with other races that happen because of negative wealth. I've heard about this happening before, but not for a while.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:32:43 pm »

This has happened before. If you modded in a material that doesn't have a set value, from my understanding DF randomly picks a value to assign to it. Check to see if the value changes each time you load. Also, could be a problem with the raws causing something to overflow. Maybe. I'm stabbing at stuff in the dark here, so I could easily be wrong.

Excuse me, my punctuation is abominable.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:40:03 pm »

You must continue this fort to study the interactions with other races that happen because of negative wealth. I've heard about this happening before, but not for a while.
I don't have negative created wealth anymore. I set the three elk bird totems that were causing the problem to be dumped into the semi-molten rock, and they're now gone. I did, for a brief period between when the first masterwork totem hit the SMR and when the second did, have created wealth of around 1 billion, but that lasted only the time it took for an item to fall 30 z-levels or so.

This has happened before. If you modded in a material that doesn't have a set value, from my understanding DF randomly picks a value to assign to it. Check to see if the value changes each time you load. Also, could be a problem with the raws causing something to overflow. Maybe. I'm stabbing at stuff in the dark here, so I could easily be wrong.

Excuse me, my punctuation is abominable.
Yeah, I just am not sure how an animal product, which clearly references the animal it's made from, would do something like that  ??? I'm going to have to really look through the elk bird raws and how they relate to the Intensifying Mod ones, as I attempted to synthesize that major mod and several more minor ones and may not have managed them all properly. I had thought that I took the full raws for creatures and such from IM, but I might not have.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!