Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Never fear! You don't need a GCS for FB's and Titans!  (Read 3005 times)

Aussiemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Well... now what?
    • View Profile
Never fear! You don't need a GCS for FB's and Titans!
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »

Guys, guys, you do not need a GCS for your petting zoo! [Some people don't seem to know this, so in case you didn't...]

The method is hilariously easy to make and incredibly effective:

1. Simply dig out a 1x1 tunnel to a 4x4 room and put a door in the little room. [You want it to be in-between your fortress and the caves. It works best when you can seal off the main fortress with a drawbridge over ramps, but leave the forgotten beast trap open.]

2. Channel out a 2 tile long space in the tunnel, leave the ramps. Three long might be even more effective, but two has never failed me.

3. Build a drawbridge over the little pit in the tunnel, setting it to raise on the exit-end of the tunnel.

4. Hook it up to a lever in the main fortress.

5. Connect the room to the cavern system if it was walled off before.

6. Eventually a forgotten beast or equivalent building destroyer will sniff out the door and path to it...

7. Have a dwarf pull the lever and *poof* forgotten beast in a pen! It just hangs around forever!

Note: If you want to combine them all, create an exit for each room in the same fashion as the entrance, but have all the exits link to a central room with a door.

My own forgotten beast traps haven't been used in recent years because of my badass super-Dwarf in cotton candy :P
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Never fear! You don't need a GCS for FB's and Titans!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:30:42 pm »

That actually looks pretty good.

Don't pet the Forgotten Beasts, zoo-goers. They bite!

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »

how do you know when it goes in the pen?
LOSING IS FUN!

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:48:00 pm »

My FBs responded much quicker when I baited the pen areas with delicious snacks, rather than a door or similar artificial lure.  And if you need a notice when the FB reaches the pen, delicious kittens and such generate combat reports when snacked upon.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:50:10 pm »

You need to capture multiple forgotten beasts and see if they will fight eachother.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »

Yes... but I want them actually IN CAGES, for the zoo. It`s supposed to be an EXHIBIT.  >:(

... I suppose that if I first isolated the Forgotten Beasts, each in their own little rooms, I could then go GCS-hunting without nine Forgotten Beasts all attacking me at once.
Never pet a burning dog.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16:37 pm »

You need to capture multiple forgotten beasts and see if they will fight eachother.
They don't fight each other when they're trapped on a map edge together, so no.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »

ok the first step in getting them into cages is done, now you need to get them into a cave in trap lined with cages, a single constructed tile on a support works for the cave in and the dust will knock them into a cage. You do not even need to link the support to a lever, the FB will knock it over for you. And I think the dust will even knock down a flying FB as well.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:34:27 pm »

... now you need to get them into a cave in trap lined with cages, a single constructed tile on a support works for the cave in and the dust will knock them into a cage.

AFAIK, this does not work with Forgotten Beasts. They are [NOSTUN]. The only way to get them into a cage is to web the cage.
Never pet a burning dog.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »

I have a better idea, though I'm not sure how well it will work in practice.  Basically, you dig an underpass, and then put a retracting bridge, the kind that disappears, with pressure plates in the underpass linked to the bridge.  So, something like...

Code: [Select]
z=1
WWWWWWW
++VBV++
WWWWWWW

z=0
WWWWWWW
WW^P^WW
WWWWWWW

W=Wall
+=Floor
V=Down Ramp (or suitable stairs)
^=Up Ramp (or stairs)
B=Bridge, which should be 5x1 long
P=Pressure Plate

What this means, is that once the creature paths toward a tasty kitten bait animal, then it will go down the ramp, intending to go back up the other side, but instead will hit the pressure plate and the bridge will close, creating a roof over the creature.  It's then safe for your people to walk over the bridge freely, since the beast is below you under the bridge.  You can then leave it there until you know a better idea, or cause a cave-in that will drop the creature down into another area so that you can re-use the trap, or do whatever you want!

As for pressure plates turning off, I can think of a solution to that which involves fluid dynamics and multiple off-site pressure plates and floodgates, but then again I've never touched the single-use plates so I'm not sure how those work.  Either way, you should be able to figure out a bit more from there, if you understand my logic.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:54:50 pm »

Forgotten beats are trap_avoid, so they won't trigger pressure plates.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 11:58:19 pm »

Oh, crap well...  you could still manually close the bridge I guess.  I didn't realize pressure plates counted as TRAP_AVOID.  Weapon traps aren't avoided, are they?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 12:08:11 am »

Oh, crap well...  you could still manually close the bridge I guess.  I didn't realize pressure plates counted as TRAP_AVOID.  Weapon traps aren't avoided, are they?

They are. However, upright spikes linked to a repeater are not "weapon traps", and are not avoided by [TRAP_AVOID].
Never pet a burning dog.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 12:17:53 am »

Right, I was aware of the spears...  Hmm, darn!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 01:36:09 am »

This is a good intermediate step if you want to have access to your caverns without having to kill the FB.

Protip: use magma-safe materials, as some FBs are made of fire and can destroy a door/bridge by standing next to it.
Pages: [1] 2