Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Guardedrings, 31.24 Community Fortress (Vae Victus)  (Read 7071 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.21 Community Fortress (Siegebreakers)
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 01:36:23 am »

Did I die? and you really good at this I like you writing
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 10:45:36 am »

Yes; you and your marksdwarves died during the first seige.  It's been a bloody year.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 12:22:06 pm »

I'd like a weaponsmith. If you have any.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 03:05:05 pm »

((Jacen, gave you our finest weaponsmith.  Still plenty of dwarves and lots of professions left open.  Aramco and Ahra, you both were given swordsdwarves, but died in your first battle.  I'll redwarf the dead if anyone wants a new dwarf, just post your dwarf's name and preferred profession.  If I can I'll make it happen, or give you the closest possible.))

Chief Architect's Log, 19th Malachite, 171

I need 35 more pumps to complete the stack, at least to an operable level.  That will bring the magma to just below the living quarters; from there we'll have to reroute it upstairs to the current work level (the noise of smiths working and bubbling magma will disturb sleep, and I'm not in the mood to re-dig and move 90 rooms of furniture down ANOTHER ten levels, plus dismantle and rebuild the artificial waterfalls.  We'll pump it upstairs, then plan out and dig an emergency drainage pipe that will allow us to pump clear the stack and drain it back into the magma sea in case of an emergency, or servicing, or a need to dig out and around it.  Between the orthoclase and obsidian, we have plenty of magma safe stone for doors, floodgates, grates, hatch covers, blocks...everything we need.  All we need now is time, and 70 bars of iron.

Chief Architect's Log, 25th Malachite, 171

The first difficulty has arisen; the shaft penetrated a portion of a cavern; we thought it would go straight through the rock, but our maps of the caverns are incomplete.  I'm ordering masons down there as fast as possible to wall the area off, hopefully we'll be alright before anything dangerous comes along.  Another dwarf has a strange mood taking him.  One of the farmers has become withdrawn and quiet, like I was.  I'll keep an eye on him.

Chief Architect's Log, 26th Malachite, 171

It appears to be hopeless; he wants glass, more leather (we already have several types), bars of metal (besides what we have?  I'm not sure what else we can give him), blocks...I doubt we'll manage.  I'll try, but these damned demands are impossible to figure out when he won't even talk!

Chief Architect's Log, 2nd Galena, 171

Migrants are here, and we're still sorting out what to do about this dwarf sketching his demands while refusing to talk or deal with us.  More goblin fodder, it looks like...the peasant mayor insists that it's because we've forsaken proper dwarven weapons.  She demands they be outfitted with axes, and train immediately on our prisoners.  I'm not sure that's wise, since it involves melting down and reforging ALL our weapons, but at least our smiths are getting practice.

Chief Architect's Log, 7th Galena, 171

I guess we managed to get everything the farmer needed, because he's hard at work on some kind of project.  That's good news; last thing I need is another death, because the mayor has tasked me with handling the running of our industries and would blame me for it.  He's at work in a forge, so maybe we'll get a legendary smith out of it.  That would make the adamantine much more effective once we get to it.  The iron is flowing pretty freely, but we've still got work to do on the cavern.  I can't get the miners to focus on it, and that means I can't get masons in there to wall it off.  It's going to be ugly, I can already tell.  I just hope nothing wanders in while we work.  One of those migrants turned out to be a doctor, skilled in setting bones.  If you'd asked me a few months ago if four doctors was overkill I'd say yes, but I know better.  Until we can get our dwarves skilled enough to avoid getting hurt, we need all the skilled hands we can spare.

Chief Architect's Log, 11th Galena, 171

I made my daily visit to the forge, to find the farmer dabbing sweat from his brow, nodding at the item on the workbench before him.  He's done, and he made something truly impressive: an artifact steel mail shirt.  The shirt bears a large granite cross, and a likeness of itself made from green glass.  It's a very impressive piece of armor, and I'm overjoyed to know we now have a legendary armor smith to forge the adamantine.  He calls it “Flameruins”, saying that its wearer will see our enemies ruined in flames.

Chief Architect's Log, 13th Galena, 171

The human caravan is here; I notice the pointy-eared sissies elves why am I being polite?  I'm not in charge anymore.  The tree-fondlers skipped visiting us; I figure they saw the goblins and decided not to risk soiling their precious loincloths.  Or maybe they just figured that the buffet wasn't open yet since there weren't any corpses about.  Either way, good riddance.  I wasn't interested in bartering for wooden breastplates and whatever animals they'd “ethically tamed”.  I definitely wasn't interested in a lecture on the impact of clear-cutting on the local environment.  The humans hopefully have some goods we can use; I'll be heading up to the depot soon to find out.  There isn't much we need aside from the usual suspects: fuel, wood (for fuel), flux, and metal.  All we've found locally is iron; while that's incredibly useful, it's not exactly exotic or the like, and we're quickly changing from a hole in the ground the king can extort supplies from into a proper city that will be expected to produce actual wealth.  The goblins have lots of silver, oddly.  At least we're getting that in abundance (the invasions seem to be good for one thing).  Oh, I'm informed by the mayor that the export of aluminum items is strictly forbidden!  The daft peasant bitch is clearly unaware that we haven't even seen a lump of native aluminum, let alone looted one from our enemies.  Such a thing would be worth its weight in gold if it was heavy enough to make the comparison a fair trade.  No matter; I smile and tell her that it won't be a problem, not a scrap of aluminum leaves this fortress on my watch.

Chief Architect's Log, 16th Galena, 171

Another goblin siege is here.  The mayor's face went flush when I told her.  Yeah, not so easy to be mayor now, is it!?  Oh, I'm not done...they've a general with them: a brutish, powerful looking goblin female leading the charge.  I hope you're ready for this, your Honor, because this is about to get messy.  She orders the full evacuation to safety and the troops armed and ready for battle, and I politely oblige.    I remind her there's nearly 40 of them, and the humans are still outside.  Nervously, she orders me to wait until they're safely inside before shutting the gates.  Her strategy is to open and close the gates, letting a few in at a time, where they can be mauled by our traps and finished off piecemeal by the troops.  Hopefully the plan will work; if it doesn't we're in trouble.  The biggest problem is the humans: if they get mauled by the siege, we will almost certainly be blamed.  If we leave the door open, they could let the goblins in with them (and if we close it, they will definitely be killed).

Chief Architect's Log, 18th Galena, 171

The merchants are inside, and oddly the goblins seem to be having some leadership issues.  Some of them have slaughtered each other on the field of battle.  We're definitely not complaining; this is a huge relief, as are the stout human guards we can now count on to help us defend the fortress.  In the grand fortress tradition of “you're the only one who didn't die last time, so that makes you leader”, the sole survivor of the last batch of troops is now our militia commander.  We didn't have time to melt down the swords and make axes yet, so I guess they're going to be sword dwarves again.  But first thing's first: trade.  I canceled the evacuation and ordered the depot loaded so I can bargain.

Chief Architect's Log, 5th Limestone, 171

The humans didn't have too much of interest, but lots of metal.  We bought all the copper, bronze, and iron we could afford (to melt down and reshape as we need, of course), and they even had some sand, surface plant seeds we don't have yet, and a few other odds and ends.  The troops are stationed and ready, so after the trading I gave the order to retreat to the safe zone, and the mayor pulled the emergency bridge lever in my...excuse me, HER office.  Here goes everything.  We'll count, then shut it once more.

The first wave waits to get in

The trolls that weren't caught in cages were torn apart by the traps, but the goblins are apparently just staring down the tunnel, debating.  Word must have spread from their survivors about its danger.  We're NOT coming out to fight them, we dwarves fight on our terms, never the enemy's.

The goblins consider the sanity of charging, yet again, into a blood soaked dwarven tunnel where they've lost dozens of their own, never to be seen again...

Suddenly the goblins seem to have found their courage; they're coming en masse for the entrance.  I'm screaming for her to shut the bridge, now!

That worked nicely, but the rest of the goblin rabble is shouting and banging at the bridge, waiting for it to open.  The soldiers call down to us to quickly open and shut it; we should smash some to goop under the bridge, then stun the few that are close by.  The rest will pour in and be killed, hopefully, as the last two waves were.

They pound at the gate, waiting for a chance to bring their hateful force against us.  We're as ready as we'll ever be inside...

The bridge either got stuck, or someone freaked out and forgot to pull the lever; either way nearly the entire army came pouring in at once.  They were butchered badly by the weapons, and with the aid of the merchant guards, we drove them off.  We have some injuries and two more soldiers dead (and a couple civilians), but this is a truly an overwhelming victory compared to before.  Inglonias was one of those killed in the attack as well, meaning we've lost yet another skilled dwarf, another of the original party, and another of my friends.  I'm not sure how many more tragedies like this I can stomach.  Unfortunately the mayor is getting all the credit for this “brilliant” defense.  I'm tempted to point out that the humans, roughly twice their size and decked out in solid STEEL are probably the real reason we're not all various shades of pink mush, but it would probably come across as bitter.  At any rate, while she's holding her victory party in the statue garden, I've got a ton of work to do: there's goblin scrap everywhere, dead bodies to be hauled or buried (depending on race), wounded to have healed, and a host of captured enemies to be stripped, hauled to the holding cell, and used for training.

Chief Architect's Log, 23rd Limestone, 171

This place is a mess; soaked in goblin, dwarf, and troll blood, gear just scattered everywhere amongst the corpses and body parts, and a ton of useful stuff just lying out in the sun.  The few trolls that weren't killed in the first wave tore apart most of our workshops.  We've got a lot of work ahead of us before we're even back on track.  I've ordered it all cleaned up, as the mayor is busy whining about how the magma pump isn't moving along.  We need more fuel for the smelters and forges, and I just barely got woodcutters outside after the siege!  At any rate, the tunnel is going along as best as we can manage, though it'll require some work before it's truly done.  I've just about got the cavern sealed off from the fortress (thank Etur nothing has wandered by!), and from there it's pretty much smooth sailing to the magma sea.  The next question is power: pumping this much magma will require an inordinate amount of it.  I've got some ideas, but they're all rough. 

Chief Architect's Log, 28th Limestone, 171

Seven more migrants were spotted; good to see, but I'm guessing most of them are headed straight for the military.  We need more squads.  Another soldier has been crippled for life, unable to walk without aid.  I'm saddened by this news, but we must go on.  There's only four of us founders left; we had a meeting today while I gave out the orders for the expansion of the magma shaft.  It's almost done, but we still have to dig the pumps that will bring it to the upper workshop levels, and design the power train for it. 

Chief Architect's Log, 12th Timber, 171

The outpost liaison and the caravan have arrived.  I've ordered a group of plant barrels, most of our excess bone bolts, and some bins of crafts brought to the depot.  We'll offload all this clutter, and try to get back to melting away all this excess metal.  We seriously need the magma smelters now; the goblins have choked us with metal supplies, and there's just no way our wood burners and woodcutters can keep pace with two smelters and two forges running full tilt.  I'm working on a redesign of the entire work floor; we'll have to shut down economic production for a few weeks or months until it's done, so I won't start until the magma is a flick of a lever away from pumping.  Two snatchers showed up, but were promptly dealt with.  I'm ordering all the stray dogs we have trained for war.  I'm going to bolster our numbers with them; we have plenty and to spare.

Chief Architect's Log, 15th Timber, 171

I bought all the steel, sand, charcoal, pig iron, and flux we could.  Again.  I saw they had some steel armor and crafts, but they're outrageously expensive (because of the craftsmanship), and I'm not sure it's worth it to buy all that just to melt them down.  I'm happy we unloaded so much of our supplies, though.  The place feels less cluttered already.  Next year, assuming we aren't just as messy, I might feel we have the time to haul ALL the useless junk laying about to the depot and buy everything that isn't nailed down.  This year, though, we've got more important things to do.  We had our third snatcher in a week; they're getting quite determined, I see.  I'm hoping we go without a siege this winter,  If not, we may have to install some sort of magma death-dealing device.  I hate to use magma against the goblins as most of their metal isn't magma safe, but at this point we've got enough supplies, the concern is survival.

Chief Architect's Log, 18th Timber, 171

Apparently we have another heroic soldier.  The replacement militia commander, Edem, has been nicknamed “The Quiet Fed Meal of Granite”.  I'm not sure what they're talking about, but she's got four goblins and two trolls under her belt, so she's doing something right with her steel spear.  I'll order a special tomb for her right away.  The miners have told me that there's galena ore deep in the shafts, so we may have a source of silver, and definitely lead.  The mayor's bizarre order not to dare trade away our precious aluminum finally makes sense: she's issued a mandate calling for the manufacture of aluminum items.  I'm about to slap her, but I realize that she has the authority to send people to prison now, and I've got enough problems just keeping this hellhole running smoothly.  I sigh and make my way to the forges to inform the smelters and smiths, more to let them know to prepare for prison time rather than actually order the goods.  Hopefully she'll ask the liaison for some aluminum ore (if they even have any), though it may be too late by the time the next caravan arrives.  I honestly don't know how long ago the mandate was made; I was busy helping direct the siege and evacuation and trading these past few months.

Chief Architect's Log, 25th Timber, 171

An ambush has struck at our tunnel entrance.  They're nothing our cages and weapons can't handle, but a few dwarves are outside, myself included!  I'm trying to hide behind some of the junk in the refuse pile, but they've already killed a worker!  I'm worried about how this will turn out.  Edem is grabbing her spear and calling for her troops, so maybe they'll arrive in time to save the day.  I've got to run, and fast!

The journal ends here, smeared in blood and dirt

The final resting place of the first ruler of Guardedrings; no tomb was commissioned, he selflessly served the fortress and guided it as best he could.  His reward?  A random coffin and an empty office.  Goodnight, Endok.

Manager's Log, 28th Timber, 171

Holy shit, this place is a mess.  I don't know what they expect me to do.  I was minding my own business, threshing some of the excess quarry bushes, when the mayor barges up to me and tells me that I've been promoted to manager and broker!  What in the names of Etur and Zon?!  Who the fuck am I to be manager?  I can barely remember where I keep my pants, let alone all these people.

She was quite insistent, and I thinks its because we rubbed elbows a bit too much back in the day when she was a flour-hauling peasant, and mistook my being nice to the new girl as a sign we were sisters for life or something.  Shit, we're way behind in the farmer's workshops, too much shearing and spinning and milking and Zon knows what else, and they only gave us two shops to do it.  This is going to be a nightmare.  I mean, the dead aren't even buried, and there's talk of a tomb or something, I don't know.  Who the hell told her it was a good idea to get a farmer to do this shit?  I spend my days picking leaves and hulling pig tails.  Well, I got an office out of it, at least.  That's something. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:06:50 pm by Urist_McArathos »
On the Nature of Dwarves

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.21 Community Fortress (Re-Elect Mayor Vucar!)
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »

Aramco and Ahra, you both were given swordsdwarves, but died in your first battle.

Hah! I got owned. You said you'd give me a new one, so I think I'll take something safer this time. Maybe a crossbowdwarf?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 04:46:44 pm »

Whew. No legendaries trying steal my work on this end.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 01:58:04 am »

Manager's Log, 1st Moonstone, 171

So, apparently I'm in charge of running this nightmare.  I suppose I should give my name, just in case.  I'm Imush Sazirthikut (it means "Bridgebooks", fuck if I know how we got that last name), and until the mess a few days ago I was our Chief Thresher.  My job duties were 1) Fuck 2) All.  Easy money; I was just a foul-mouthed girl with no patience and a real problem with the strict rules of the other jobs out there.  As long as I tolerated the damned sun every day, I got the best job in the place.  Take rope reeds and pig tails, make thread.  Take quarry bushes, break 'em down.  That is fucking it.  Do that all day, then go and get drunk, pass out, repeat.  I love my fuckin' job.  Now, though, I'm stuck trying to run this deathtrap, which is about as fun as playing "Protect the Environment" with the elves.  Everybody loses, and I want to die after it's all over.  Whatever; I'm going to see if there's any fisher berry wine, and if there is I'm getting plastered and not doing anything until I come to.

Manager's Log, 4th Moonstone, 171

Well, that helped.  I think I'm finally getting the hang of this.  Sort of.  I want all those damned goblins and trolls killed off; the troops seemed to like the idea, so I'm ordering them station in the arena, and I'll just have us chuck trolls and goblins unarmed into the pit and let them have at it.  Should be fun.  Apparently the mayor wants some kind of magma plumbing device built, but Endok's notes are sketchy on the matter and have a lot of vulgarity and insults scribbled across the pages.  I probably would have liked the guy, shame he spent all his time holed in his fucking office, though I can understand why now that I've got the job.  The mechanics I spoke to said they've got it figured out, just keep the stone and screw pumps coming.  Alrighty, I'll tell the smiths to get to forging 35 pumps, and apparently the masons need to start carving blocks.  So far, so good.  I'm also ordering the construction of two more farmer's workshops in the pastures.  I've had it up to here with rabbits, by the way.  They're everywhere!  Rabbits and rabbit shit all over the pastures, and more than we'll ever need.  I told the butcher I want every stray rabbit, bunny, doe, buck, whatever, butchered ASAP.  I don't even care if we can keep up with the meat and hides before rot sets in, I want them GONE!  This whole damned fort stinks of animal piss and wet fur, and the goddamn zoo that is the pet population is bad enough.  Rams and sheep only in the pastures, and every pet is to be butchered as soon as its owner dies.  Maybe it sounds cruel, but the stink is getting to me.

I make an exception for dogs; dogs are fine.  I want lots of guard dogs, big ones, small ones, mean ones, fiesty ones.  I want a cage FULL of dogs, which we can release next siege.  Oh, the weapon traps weren't enough to slow you, eh?  Release the fucking hounds!  Maybe that will put a dent in their numbers, enough for these nitwits in armor to figure out which fucking end is the pointy one and do some real damage.

Since things are getting chaotic around here, I may have to completely overhaul the jobs and duties.  It's confusing as hell, and it's high time something got sorted out. 

Manager's Log, 17th Moonstone, 171

I was told about the plan to train on captives with wooden weapons.  I like it, but to kill time until they're ready I'm slowly tossing trolls into the pit, where the eager soldiers wait to butcher them one by one.  It's fun to watch, and the blue blood is a great contrast with the andesite walls!  Anyway, I've ordered the magma tunnel cleared of loose stone and ore, which will take some time.  The mayor asked me about some aluminum or something, no fucking clue what she wants.  I haven't seen or heard of any of that shit, so she may be out of luck.  Still considering whether or not to reorganize everyone's jobs.  We've got a fuckton of food, and a lot of drinks, but it seems like a dumb idea to retrain or reassign our brewers and farmers now just because we have a lot of excess; what if we get another siege or something, and we need the supplies to live through a lockdown?  I don't know.  I'll figure that shit out later.  I heard the soldiers were kind of depressed after losing so many friends (no shit?), so I ordered the walls and floors of their quarters smoothed and spruced up a bit.  It's not much, but between the good food, good booze, and nicer surroundings maybe they'll happy the fuck up.  Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Manager's Log, 9th Opal, 171

So, more good fucking news from the mountainhome.  The liaison was so impressed with how things are going here, he was empowered to promote a baron, and did she have any recommendations?  Oh, the guy who made this hole in the ground an actual fortress is fucking dead, so clearly not him.  She chose herself!  Color me surprised.  Some dirt-hauling peasant is now going to be a fucking Baroness.  I checked through our bedroom list; a lot of vacancies, even worse since we have three cripples in the hospital.  It's come to my attention they're still wearing their iron armor and weapons.  What the hell is this shit?  They don't need that armor anymore, why are they wearing it?  I ordered it stripped off.  We've got actual soldiers upstairs waiting for supplies, dammit!

Manager's Log, 14th Opal, 171

I'm told the first of the screw pumps are being installed.  Still no clue how this whole mess is gonna work.

Manager's Log, 27th Obsidian, 171

Another possession.  I wonder what wonder of the fucking world is going to come of this bout of inspiration.  The mayor (or Baroness?  Not yet apparently...) has spent the last two months getting drunk and partying while our liaison has been waiting for her to finish the fucking meeting.  Anyway, the mountainhome is back in “crisis prevention” mode.  They want meat, plants, fucking cheese (CHEESE DAMMIT!) and anvils.  I guess they're gearing up to make some weapons, whatever.  I don't give a shit how many anvils the mayor wants, we've got plenty of plants, meat and fucking cheese.  We're working on these projects leftover from the last guy in charge of this nightmare.  She's also mandating the creation or whatever of two large gems.  Yeah, whatever.  I'll get right on it, boss.

Manager's Log, 9th Granite, 172

Another of the soldiers has earned herself a nickname.  They're calling her “the First Morass of Organizations”.  This is why I'd make a shitty soldier; we blue-collar types prefer simple nicknames that make sense: “Fatty”, “Stinky”, “That ass-kissing sky-staring little beard-licker”.  You know, names that tell you what the hell someone is famous FOR.  I don't know what a Morass is, and I sure as shit don't know what organizations she's the first Morass of.  Whatever.  I'm told that, according to tradition, she gets her own private tomb since these names are only given after earning some kills.  Fine, if it'll encourage more dwarves to murder those damned goblins, I'm all for it.  The newly appointed Baroness (who still hasn't chosen a replacement Mayor) is demanding a tomb of her own as well.  Abso-fuckin'-lutely, your Grace!  I'm sure you know we're busy digging out that damned magma pump you've been harping on, but don't worry, we can find a way to shit out a tomb or three too.  I don't know how Endok put up with this.  Looks like the possessed guy finally found what he wanted.  Now to wait and see what the hell he makes.

Manager's Log, 25th Granite, 172

I guess all the deaths got back to the mountainhome; there's new migrants here talking about how they had to come take a shot at wealth, “despite the danger”.  It's nothing a proper fucking military couldn't handle, and I'd like to think we just might have one.  The only real danger is if you get drafted, and good news!  There's about 26 of these assholes here, and most are sky-staring haulers destined for the meat grinder.  I've been wanting to rebuild our broken marksdwarves squad, so that eats up ten of them.  The other 16?  Maybe 4 have any skills worth a damn, so that means peasantry for the lot of them.  I don't want to hear any bitching, we've got bigger problems.  The swordsdwarves have two real soldiers fighting, and most are trained enough to know how to use a sword in battle, so they're not interested in green recruits if they get another cripple anyway.  If we get any more migrants, the Baroness is on my ass about axedwarves, so that's their future.

Manager's Log, 13th Slate, 172

I guess we're back in the swing of things.  Lots of extra peasants dicking about; I've ordered more beds.  For the first time since, well, the place was built we've got a bedroom shortage.  I tried to joke that things will change come the next siege, but nobody laughed.  Boring fuckers.

One of the dwarves that came here, calls himself “Aramco” (I named him Aramco II, we've already got a dead Aramco and I like not being confused) asked if there was good hunting, as he likes shooting.  I told him he was now captain of his own squad of marksdwarves, get his shit from the barracks and find 9 volunteers before I found them for him.  He's a pretty damn good shot, we'll just need to start smelting some bolts for his squad to use for combat (we've got enough damn bone ones laying all over the fucking place).

In other news, we've finally shaken off the misery that was starting to hang around this place.  Needs to be brightened up some more though.  We've got some real fucking great cooks and brewers churning out top-notch booze and meals (already the talk of the mountainhome; the new guys and girls couldn't wait for their first dinner), and I figure once we smooth out the living quarters, maybe engrave some shit in the dining hall, this place will be able to handle a lot more death and disaster without everyone crying in a corner or contemplating a tantrum.  The prison's pretty nice, too, in case it comes to that. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:14:44 am by Urist_McArathos »
On the Nature of Dwarves

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 07:04:21 am »

((Am I still alive?))
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:40 pm »

This fort is awesome, and your writing is great. Can I be dorfed? Not a soldier, but someone who works with stone or plants if you can manage it.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »

((CinnarbarMan, you're still alive and kicking/bringing ruin upon the forests.  Ghills, gave you a legendary farmer/part time herbalist.  I'll have screenshots of the floorplans soon, maybe even some stonesense if I have the time to play with it.  FYI, the OP has a table of contents and full list of claimed dwarves and their current status which I update with every new story post.  So, if you're looking for a quick check on if you're still alive despite the mess, just check that out.  I also put in cause of death when your dorf bites the big one, so you know not just if he died, but how.  Hopefully it'll get more interesting than "goblin attack".))

Manager's Log, 23rd Slate, 172

An ettin has been spotted to the far north.  Shit.  I'll give the order for everyone to remain inside, and we'll see what happens I guess.  I decided to see if these traps and soldiers are worth a damn, so after sounding the alarm I refused to close the gate, and told Edem to station her troops in the barracks, ready to charge if the monster got inside and survived the traps and the dogs.

Fee, fie, foe, fum, I smell the blood of a bearded, drunken bum!  Be he drunk or be he sober, I'll eat him up, despite his odor!  Seriously though, this dwarven pit stinks of blood and old booze.

Fear the dwarven wooden cage.  It is unbreakable.

Ah, even better.  It's caged.  All clear, everyone!  So, now the question is: put it in the zoo with the two trolls and the grizzly bear, or let the troops practice on it?

Manager's Log, 14th Felsite, 172

Most of the goblins and trolls are dead, but there's still a goblin or two and half a dozen trolls to polish after.  After the troops paint the pit blue I think I'll give them the Ettin to play with.  Should be fucking hysterical to watch it fight, outnumbered like that.  Of course it could also go badly, but whatever; they need to win sooner or later.  The elves are here; Endok never liked them, but if you ask me they can have some pretty useful shit if you get past what a pain in the ass their attitude is.

Manager's Log, 17th Felsite, 172

Just like I said.  We offloaded a bunch of crap we're not even using, got some cloth, bins, barrels, buckets, a shit-ton of wood, sand, seeds, and some fruit and plenty of booze.  Good trading all around.

Manager's Log, 17th  Hematite, 172

One of the workers has become withdrawn, refusing to talk to anyone and only drawing pictures of the shit he needs.  We'll see how this turns out.  The last guy made some kind of necklace, I don't know.  Oh, the miner Remalle, one of the founders, was recently elected mayor.  He's wanting his own bedroom, so I guess we better get to it before he bitches and moans like the damn Baroness.

Manager's Log, 27th Malachite, 172

I've finished digging out a new quarters for the Baroness, since Remalle pitched a fit about how he deserved the Mayor's office since he is, now, the Mayor.  You give anyone in this place an inch of authority and suddenly they're making demands and acting all fucking snooty.  Anyway, at least his mandate made sense: pig iron.  He wants more steel, and I can get behind that platform.  New migrants are here, ten of them.  They all have various talents and shit, but I don't think we'll be needing any more industry workers, so they're probably going to be drafted as axe dwarves.  I'll get the forges right on another suit of steel (for their leader) and iron for the rest.  About time we had some extra bodies; this shit was getting old.  In the meanwhile there's a mechanic amongst them; good, we need mechanics for now to help build this ungodly pump project.  Otherwise nobody useful, or useful enough to let them do their dream job (there was a mason and a thresher, but both are worse than the four or so of each we have already, tough shit).  We had a soap maker in there too; there's a goddamn laugh.  How much soap does one fort need?  I dunno, but the one yahoo who's already making it here, plus making lye and dying cloth by himself, has kept us stocked.  So, that means for now we sure as shit don't need two, into the draft you go!

Manager's Log, 13th Galena, 172

Alright, I guess I have to micro-fucking-manage everything around here.  Some joker has NOT been building the pump stack properly, and they're not even close to done despite all the shit being ready.  They support each other, and some ass-hat has been trying to build them in whatever fucking order they like, and it's not working.  I got aussieevil to get down there and start sorting this mess out; I have to meet His Honor the Mayor at the bar for a private session (for his sake it better be way less creepy than it sounds).

Interior of “The Elephant Gentleman”, sometime after closing...

Remalle sat at the table in the back corner of the bar, stuffing his pipe with rat weed.  He took another gulp of his tuber beer, and sighed as the frothy head slid down the sides of the mug.  Imush walked in a moment later, no mistaking her.  She was remarkably thin for a dwarf (hell, almost thin even by human or goblin standards), and kept her head clean shaven (unusual for a woman).  She walked over to the table, pulling off her leather gloves and crashing into the granite chair.  He nodded to her, puffing at the pipe.

“Your Honor,” she offered, leaning back comfortably.

“I know ye don't like rules and formality; Remalle will do finely, lass,”  He slid a bottle to her, and she popped the cork as he let out a small cloud of smoke with his words.  “Fisher wine, I know yer partial to it.”  His thick brogue and deep voice gave him away not just as a miner, but an older dwarf, one who'd spent his share of time with the longbeards back in the mountainhome.

“Thanks.  What's this all about?  What are you trying to soften me up for?”  She put the neck of the bottle to her lips and started gulping the potent, sweet alcohol down without waiting for a reply.

“Yer the new manager, and ye don't like that daft Baroness' plans or half-cocked ideas.  I know it.”

“A dwarf's duty is to be respectful of authority, tradition, and age.”  She wiped her lips and set the bottle down a third less full than when she had taken it.

“Stuff that, Imush.  That kind of talk is for beardlings and those in the mountainhome; we're out in the provinces and getting the job down right trumps all, even if that's nae what yer parents taught ye.  Besides, yer just feeding me lines.  We both know ye could give a DB about rules and rhetoric.”

“You still haven't told me why we're here.”  She was sipping from the wine now, her initial thirst slaked.

“The mountainhome is falling; most of ye lot don't know why we're here, but me and the other lads they sent here did.  Endok kept pretty quiet about it; had to, ye understand.”  The smoke began to roll freely, obscuring the older miner's features in a hazy cloud.  “If ye want to help, to do yer duty to home and clan, I can help.  I pulled some strings to get elected mayor just to make certain things stay on track.  I'll make ye a deal: ye help me out, put in the orders I ask for and nae ask a lot of questions, I'll see to it that we make yer time as manager and overseer as painless as possible.  Keep the Baroness off yer back, and keep ye in the fields as much as we can.”

“Who's 'we'?”

Remalle smirked and pointed the pipe at her.  “That's one of them questions I was talking about.  Do we have a deal?”  Imush sat a while, turning it over in her head.  She wasn't sure what the miner was up to, and while he wasn't a longbeard yet, he was close enough to have lots of plans in his head, and friends in old places, places that could pull strings even here on the edge of the dwarven world.  In the end, she figured even if he was using her, at least he had a better head on his shoulders than the Baroness, and if he kept his word she'd get what she wanted anyway.  If he didn't, she'd be no worse than she would if she went against him.  Well-connected types like him tended to get their way whether someone stood in their way or not.

“Sure, why not?  Just keep that bitch off my back, we'll be fine.”  With a shake of the hand it was done, and she left the bar with the rest of the bottle in hand, while Remalle leaned back in his stone chair and packed more rat weed into his pipe...

Manager's Log, 15th Galena, 172

The humans are here; I'm not sure what they have, probably some metal and shit.  Good chance for us to offload lots of our useless crap that's taking up space.  Hopefully they have some sand, too; we can't get glass production to keep pace with demand.  Remalle's satisfied with the pig iron, but wants more anvils in preparation for the forges.  The guy is really focused on turning us into a huge armory.  I wish the Baroness was as practical in her demands.  It may be annoying to have five anvils sitting around in the warehouse, but at least we CAN make them, and his reasons make sense.  Baroness Vucar has demanded more aluminum goods, for the simple reason “I like aluminum”.  Somebody needs to remind the daft bitch that nobody in the entire kingdom has aluminum, and even if they did they're not telling the rest of us about it, so we can't buy it anyway.

Manager's Log, 20th Galena, 172

The merchants are unloading.  The daft bitch Baroness is getting unhinged.  She threw our brewer in jail for the failure to make her aluminum items!  I don't know if this is some ridiculous roundabout way of getting payback for something the brewer did to her, or if she honestly believes aluminum comes from breweries.  Ignorant sky-staring beard-licker.  I hope she doesn't piss off the human diplomat, or does he meet with Remalle?  I don't know, nor care.  I've still got these damned pipes to worry about.

I'm not too sorry for the brewer, though.  The prison cells are smoothed stone, and Endok made sure to provide them all with beds, tables, chairs, even a private booze and food stockpile.  According to his notes, it's in case the lazy gits “forget” to feed the prisoners for a month or so.  Basically, our humble brewer is getting a vacation and a chance to catch up on any reading or whatever.  It's a damned good thing we're not short on booze; this place is stocked to the eyeballs with prepared meals, booze, and bushels of fresh produce and barrels of meat.  We could last years in a siege; believe me, I'm keeping good notes as the new bookkeeper, because I'll be damned if I open the doors again without a military ready to fight.

Manager's Log, 26th Galena, 172

Not much from the humans; we bought the tons of wood they had, what little sand there was, and lots of various metal goods (mostly bronze and iron) for melting down and reforging.  In turn we offloaded a ton of crafts and other junk that, while valuable as an exotic export, means fuck all to us except taking up space.  We also offloaded most of the goblin clothes; the humans don't know where it came from and can use them for whatever, but most of us won't wear the shit knowing who the former owners were.

Manager's Log, 5th Sandstone, 172

I've decided that, since they've finished off all the trolls and goblins (except the two I decided to humiliate by sticking them in the zoo by the killer grizzly), it's time the squad faced a foe that they can't just decapitate as it falls into the pit.  The ettin is to be pitted against all 10 of our swordsmen.  Time those pricks in plate earn their keep.  If they can't beat an ettin on our turf, trained and armed and armored and having had loads of practice on live captives AND sparring, then we are just completely fucked.

Okay, so I mis-planned this.  The ettin broke free in transport and is rampaging upstairs.  The military is moving in on the double, but I'm worried; I'll be in deep shit if he kills anyone or breaks anything.

Shit, he killed our best mechanic by tossing him like a rag doll into a wall.  This is NOT good.  It ran upstairs into the pasture, where nobody else is at the moment (thank Etur and Zon).  Aramco II is chasing after it, screaming and peppering it with bolts.  He only had his bone practice bolts, but the sheer number is doing it harm.  Edem, the squad leader, has charged it.  I hope she knows what the hell she's doing.  The dogs and Aramco II have softened it up, but it can still fuck somebody up.

I appear to be wrong; there's a few PET dogs (not even war dogs) tearing into it, and Edem is ruining its shit.  This ettin doesn't have a prayer. 

The rest of the squad is catching up to their bloodthirsty and (clearly) fearless leader.  They've jumped on the unconscious brute and are proceeding to shred it with their swords.  It's a fucking mess!

After impaling its brain on her steel spear, Edem sighed, and said she was going to get a drink.  The others nodded and grunted in approval and went off, like it was fucking tuesday or something.  Remalle's pissed at me.  “How the hell did ye not think to link the cage to a lever!  It's not safe to transport a flimsy cage like that!”  I dunno; I'm new at this shit, but he won't let it die.  Now he's off to apologize to the late mechanic's friends, family, and well-wishers.  I'm glad I don't have his job.

Manager's Log, 14th Sandstone, 172

Eight new migrants are here, also saying that they heard this place is dangerous but worth the risk.  My fucking bad, alright?  Sorry I got our mechanic's brains splattered on the brewery walls.  Actually, one of them claims she's a pretty good mechanic.  She's not as good as the one we lost, but she's a damn sight better than most of the ones we get.  She's hired, the rest are peasants and eventually soldier fodder.  I drafted two of the most useless from the last wave into the city guard to help with law enforcement.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.21 Community Fortress (Giantslayers)
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »

((Hey, that was easier than expected!  Screenies tonight, as it turns out.))

The entrance to my fortress, with the pasture and windmill that powers our millstones.  Right now it's boring as hell, but after we get the magma pumps ready I intend to disable a lot of labors and industry and begin construction on the proper, new entrance.  Skill sketching some things out using graph paper, but trust me that it will be nice and dwarfy.  First megaproject will be an obsidian statue atop the grand entrance of a shield bearing images of rings (Guarded + rings), perhaps using copper or the like to make the rings stand out, not sure yet.  Maybe orthoclase; it's yellow and plentiful, and magma safe should I decide to include !!SCIENCE!! in the statue.

The agricultural level; note the vast, long refuse pit attached only by diagonals in the back.  I put it there so we can butcher away during sieges and not worry about waste, though we maintain an above-ground refuse pit for the rest of the year so this one doesn't overflow when we need it most.

The entry hall and manufacturing level.  Lots of workshops, with the barracks and the top of the training pit near the entrance.  Note the cage: it's STUFFED with war dogs, attached to a lever in the mayor's office deep within the safe zone.  Enemies that survive the traps find we will RELEASE THE HOUNDS! and then charge from the nearby barracks.  As before, this whole area is getting a complete overhaul come the magma works.  The level below will be a magma pit for forges and casting obsidian.  I'm going to completely redesign this entire level to be efficient and useful, hopefully to minimize the chance of FPS death (already slaughtering pets and caging dogs now to prevent it, junk melting will go into high gear after the magma smelters are done).

The warehouse, and off to the side is the bottom of the training pit.  Troops go in, the door is locked, enemies are dumped into the pit and left to die.  A lever in the barracks allows me to link cages for dangerous enemies (got lazy about this with the ettin, lesson learned), and fortifications allow marksdwarves to use it as a live shooting gallery from safety.

The living quarters: I didn't show all the bedrooms, they're all the same.  3x3 room, 1 bed, 1 cabinet, 1 chest.  Snore.  This level needs to be rethought: it doesn't feel...right.  I don't know how to redesign it safely, since I foolishly forgot to install emergency shutoff hatches and drainage pumps for the water.  This will take some time to correct.  The mayor's office is the one just right of the bar, and the baroness' quarters are the larger ones past that on the bottom right.

Here we see the catacombs.  The tombs on the left are for named soldiers (and the big one is for the baroness).

Last but not least is the jail, captain of the guard's office and quarters, and fortress guard barracks/sparring chamber.

((Any questions?  Comments?  Advice?))
On the Nature of Dwarves

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 06:12:09 am »

...Inglonias was one of those killed in the attack as well, meaning we've lost yet another skilled dwarf, another of the original party, and another of my friends...

Noo!
 :'(

Ah, well. Good luck! Its starting to get interesting!
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 06:30:04 am »

meh i want another melee dwarf. same name
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:15 pm »

Manager's Log, 15th Sandstone, 172

Remalle has decided that, even though we can't decide if it's a good idea to mine the adamantine, he wants to know at least where the vein starts.  He's doing some exploratory digging, though intending not to breach the vein, just in case.  We're all concerned, but he's an incredibly skilled miner, so maybe he knows what's best.

So much for that; he found warm stone, thinks there's magma close to the vein.  He figures we'll have to dig down into it, and since he doesn't know where it STARTS, no clue where to start digging a shaft.  Figures.  I guess adamantine will have to wait.  Oh, we have another “named hero” soldier.  Ahra Lenod (calling him Ahra II, same reason as before), “The Target of Seeds”.  I seriously don't fucking get these nicknames, but he's earned himself a tomb at least.  Better get to building it.

Manager's Log, 12th Timber, 172

The liaison and merchants are here.  Bring forth the fucking cheese!  I'm glad that Remalle ordered some anvils made; we'll sell them for a profit, since iron is not something we're lacking.  I'm also trying to clear out most of the shit clogging up the works in the warehouse.  This place is a clusterfuck, and with the magma pumps almost online (note to self: get that shit DONE already so the baroness will shut the fuck up), it's time we started getting ready.

Manager's Log, 17th Timber, 172

Finally, they brought a fuckton of steel (we bought two steel anvils to melt down after selling our iron ones), flux, pig iron, fuel, and wood.  We grabbed all the steel goods we could afford, and some leather and cloth with what was left over.

Manager's Log, 10th Moonstone, 172

We've got the last of the magma shaft being dug out, and the smiths and glassworkers making the last of the pump assembly.  Remalle wants to clear out any iron ore they found around the shaft first, so we don't waste it.  Good planning ahead, I guess.  I've spent most of the early winter drinking and enjoying the time off as the farmers plant new crops.  I heard aussieevil consulting with some of the other mechanics (I decided that any of the assholes he wants are now part of his mechanic brigade), finalizing their plans.  They're going to go ahead and start building the pumps as soon as possible.  The last job is putting up any new walls we need, then digging an emergency drainage shaft that can drain all the magma back to the magma sea.

Manager's Log, 21st Opal, 172

So the miners finally got the magma shaft dug, and expanded the reactor.  I'm not sure how we're going to get this whole fucking mess running, but aussieevil just demanded more parts, so I'll let him figure this bullshit out for me.  I've got bushes to quarry.  Another of our workers has been taken by a strange mood, withdrawn and secretive.  I'm getting tired of this; hopefully this one will make something useful; the last few made some random junk that Remalle locked in the artifact chest.

Manager's Log, 26th Opal, 172

I guess the mayor didn't like my selling his precious fucking anvils; there's now a mandate barring the export of them.  Fine, I'll find another way to make some money in this hole.

Manager's Log, 11th Obsidian, 172

Well, fucking hooray.  She made a really, really nice granite mechanism.  Whatever.  Who cares?  We got another incredible mechanic out of it, so I guess I shouldn't bitch about it too much.

Manager's Log, 15th Obisidian, 172

Another siege is here, wonderful.  I'm about to order everyone into the safe zone, see if those guards can get anything done right this time.

Manager's Log, 20th Obsidian, 172

The first wave got through, and was either caged, cut to pieces by the traps, or finished off by the troops.  A troll managed to rip apart a few shops, (I guess nobody's perfect), but at least those iron-headed sky-starers managed to finish him off before he hit the clear zone.  I've got everyone cleaning up the mess for now, then we'll finish off the rest of the siege.

Manager's Log, 1st Granite, 173

Alright, all cleaned and ready.  Time for the rest of the siege.

Manager's Log, 6th Granite, 173

That was bloody; the last wave did more damage to the recently repaired work area, but I doubt we'll do full repairs.  I'm supposed to meet with the architects soon to redesign the whole mess anyway, so fuck it.  We'll rebuild only what we need, nothing more.  We're gonna be scraping goblin and troll bits off the walls for weeks now.  No one got killed though, that's something.  We also have a host of captives to use as well; target practice for the new axedwarf regiment I've built, looks like.

Manager's Log, 25th Granite, 173

Finally, we've got some people moving here that don't bitch about “how dangerous it is”.  Look, life is dangerous, it's good to hear people are finally getting over it.  There's 25 of them, bringing our total population to 151.  We're pretty damned sizable now, and it's not slowing down.  Good, I say.  We could use the labor.

Manager's Log, 16th Felsite, 173

The elves are here; apparently they don't have much of interest besides the usual: cloth, wood, and booze and some sand.  We bought what we wanted and unloaded a lot of our junk on them (mostly goblin shit nobody here wants).  They were very impressed with our “ethical wares”.  We just nodded and smiled and left out our intentions to burn their precious trees into charcoal after they left.  Everybody wins.

Manager's Log, 25th Felsite, 173

Some random armorer kicked out one of our smiths, shouting “I must have a forge!” before going off to gather supplies, shouting them out as he walked like some kind of retarded herald.  I have no fucking clue what he's up to, but it should be interesting to watch.  Meanwhile, the baroness has decreed that no large gems are to be exported, for whatever reason.  I'm not even sure we have any, but that's never stopped the daft bitch from making demands before.

We may have two more cripples on our hands, I'm told.  Looks like Aramco II and another soldier took some nerve damage to their legs in the last siege.  I sincerely hope not; the last thing we need is to lose more fighters, especially a hero like Aramco II.

Manager's Log, 27th Felsite, 173

He finished his work; he made a very, very nice iron buckler.  I'm hardly impressed, but I'm in a damn good mood because we have another exceptional armorer as a result.  I suppose I can give it to our head marksdwarf.

Manager's Log, 5th Hematite, 173

Remalle and aussieevil came to me today to announce that the magma pumps are powered, sealed, and ready to be turned on, with all the levers linked to floodgates and hatches to allow the system to be shut off and rerouted as we like.  I'm about to make a test of the various levers and keep notes on them afterwards.  I'm not the most organized of dwarves, but I'll be damned if I pull the wrong lever and flood us in fucking magma. 

Okay, finished.  The control room needs some serious rethinking, since right now it's just a series of levers against the wall by the reactor, probably because it was just built to house the waterfall equipment and Endok never expected us to cram a shitload of mechanical stuff in here.  Well, it's too late now to cry over it, let's see if this shit works.  Here goes everything.

Manager's Log, 7th Hematite, 173

Success!  Zon bless those fucking gearheads!We've got magma, and there's not a leak or missed spot anywhere.  Remalle leaned his head against the floodgate to feel the warmth through the stone, and I saw the old bastard grin; it's a marvel.  He grabbed his pick and barked at the miners to get to digging, we've got work to do.  I'm taking all the various layabouts we have and making them makeshift masons and engravers.  We can't wait all year for the few skilled hands we have to get around to making this happen.  We all want the new magma-powered work area up and running as soon as possible.  Plans for a magma-powered entrance trap are in the works, but we're concerned.  The goblins seem to be sitting on a hefty supply of copper and silver, neither of which will survive such a defensive item.  Decisions, decisions...

((Argh, I cannot WAIT for the next version so I can get my cripples out of bed!  Ahra, I'm so sorry man, but I gave you another dwarf, one who earned a nickname, and he got hurt in the foot and is on permanent rest!  Fortunately, Toady will be fixing crutches in the next version, so you should be back to killing gobbos and trolls by next month!  The population is staggering, there's plenty to choose from for anyone who wants just about any kind of dwarf (I even have two soap makers!).  Anyway, things are getting interesting.  The next big project, now that I have a functional magma pump, will be to slowly phase out the waterwheels with a wind farm.  I get 40 power each, but the pumping system requires around 900 power.  My FPS right now is at 25 to 30, with over 150 dwarves, pets galore, and a perpetual motion reactor.  All that water is slowing me down (I was at 50 until I set the reactor up), and besides it's not realistic.  I know dwarves spit in the face of thermodynamics and physics, but I'd like SOME realism, dammit!  I may set up a combined windmill/hydroelectric plant at the river, then use a loooong axle to bring power to the stack.  This winter I'm going to dig into the ice to cut off the water going into my fort, then begin pumping my resevoirs dry.  Once its all reclaimed, I'll begin the process of reshaping everything so we have a proper waterfall, dining and common area, and the like.  I also want it redone so we can have an obsidian works; we have a layer of obsidian, but it'd be nice to have it closer to the surface so I don't have to send miners and haulers down into the depths of the earth, or worry about breaching caverns.  Wish me luck as we move on to newer, badder things!  FYI: the magma trap I'm considering is similar to the one listed on the wiki: magma pours out from a spout onto the pathway, where magma-safe grates allow it to drip through and be recollected.  If I build it just outside my gates, enemies will be forced to march through a magma shower and be burned alive if they want to come in.  On the plus side, it's awesome and would solve my invader problems.  Downsides? It would destroy all my goblinite, and would be tricky to fit aesthetically into my future plans.  Still thinking it over.  I also like the idea of the parting of the magma seas I saw someone else do.  !!SCIENCE!! is always fun to incorporate into a fortress...))
On the Nature of Dwarves

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.21 Community Fortress (!!SCIENCE!! in progress)
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 05:13:24 am »

If I have not been re-dwarf I like one if that OK, Same name and what ever skill you need.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5