Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 707689 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1695 on: October 02, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »

Roll to be a Gaul? I, sir, am interest. Asterix and Obelix are awesome ^^

Sweet. It'll take a while (probably a few weeks), because I have an RTD to finish first, and some thinking to do, as it won't be quite as simple. I'll try to remember to PM you.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: October 06, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »

Alright, so, something of a philosophical question here.

I'm currently pondering several different games, some of which might or might not be inspired by DBZ and/or Power Rangers. One of them, however, is essentially a fairly simple Dwarf Fortress: The RPG style game. That's actually all you know to answer the question, but here's more information anyway.

Most rolls would probably be a 1d10, compared to a chart and then adjusted for skill level. So a 4-7 might be a normal success whereas a 2-3 would be lower than average, for instance, but "average" or "below average" would have very different meanings coming from a master or an apprentice (the master's screwup might be better than the apprentice's masterpiece, for instance). These would likely have numerical values attached (specifically, "average" would probably mean "skill level +0," while "above average" would be "skill level +1" or similar), so for less measurable or skill-related tasks, like jumping across a pit, a standard d6 might be used instead.

Combat might also get simplified, both for simplicity's sake and to increase randomness.

Items would probably add to effective skill level, but I might do something a bit different (like, you can get a +1 bonus from up to 3 different items, but each item has to be as good as your skill level to count, and shoddy tools could decrease or cap your skill level somehow). Item quality would probably be determined additively by quality level and material, so a +Bronze Sword+ might get +2 damage from quality and +2 damage from material, whereas a xSteel Swordx might get -2 from quality and +3 from material, for instance.

I'm not entirely sure how the game would progress, but I'm strongly considering dividing it into simultaneous adventure and fortress modes, so players could queue glass production and trudge through a cave simultaneously. At the very least, I'd be highly likely to make adventures not grind fortress operations to a halt, and make sure the players were either all working together or acting as normal despite wildly different timeframes (ie someone wanders down a cavern and begins battling trogs, other players continue making chairs or whatever as though nothing is happening/happened/going to happen).

I'm also considering making some godsforsaken embark site mandatory, ie you want the poisonous swamp or the dire gorilla-filled jungle? Not positive that's a good idea, but whatever.

There will be no map. Rooms will be tracked as something like "3x5 room, -Pine Chair-, +Chert Table+"

So. That's all very well and good and all, but the real thing I'm wondering (aside from what kind of games everyone would be interested in), is this:

Dwarves, or anything? I like the thematic unity of a dwarf fortress, and it's nice and normal (as dwarves go, I mean). On the other hand, it'd be pretty neat to let everyone join and play as whatever they like, within reason.

So... what do you think?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: October 06, 2011, 09:36:05 pm »

I'm no expert in RTD systems, but it sounds ok. I'd like to join if thats possible.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: October 06, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »

I'm not taking pre-ins because:

A. It might not end up existing after all

B. There'd be no room left for people who didn't check this thread in time.

I admit B is kind of motivational in some ways, but I still don't like it. :P
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: October 06, 2011, 09:40:25 pm »

I'd join it.

I'd say it doesn't really matter, unless the other races had some sort of racial bonus or it was extremely flavor text oriented.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: October 09, 2011, 12:33:15 pm »

Roll to be a Gaul? I, sir, am interest. Asterix and Obelix are awesome ^^

So, would no one else at all be interested in Rolling to be a Gaul? Because I would be interested in running it :(

There would be a small variety of classes, potions, HP, menhir throwing, bards, romans, druids, etc, but not if there's no interest. There will just be my lingering sense of regret  :'(

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: October 09, 2011, 12:34:03 pm »

Well, I'm interested too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: October 09, 2011, 12:36:51 pm »

Me too, I think.
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: October 09, 2011, 12:45:06 pm »

Whoa, that was quick. It won't be until my Roll to Work has finished, but I might post a combat test in the testing thread this week.

Thanks for the interest. There'll probably be max 4-5 players.

Edit: Since I want to limit the players I won't take any further expressions of interest and will PM the three of you who have expressed interest with reserved slots when (hopefully not if...) I start it. I think.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:13:34 pm by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »

Hmm.

In the meantime... how about...

Roll to Search for the Holy Grail

?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: October 10, 2011, 02:17:35 pm »

DO IT!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: October 15, 2011, 09:07:02 pm »

Okay. I need a bit of help on a combat system I'm working on. I'm actually thinking it's not even going to really be an RTD anymore, but it'll still use the RTD ruleset for simple, environmental, or skillless actions, like jumping across a pit. (Combat is not one of those; it's opposed d10s)

So, there's two parts to this.

The first is that I was thinking of having two distinctions for each player and enemy, depending on their physiology and gear. The distinctions are Armored/Mobile, and Heavy/Light.

Heavy Armored would be a knight or turtle.
Heavy Mobile would be a troll or berserker.
Light Armored would be a wasp or elf in very graceful armor.
Light Mobile would be an elf or terrified peasant.

Different weapons could then have a bonus or, more rarely, penalty to different categories.

So, is this a good idea? The goal is to have a certain rock/paper/scissors arrangement going on, albeit one that's set before most battles begin, as well as to make a wide variety of styles viable (I don't want Light Mobile to be the "you're an unarmored mook" classification, for instance).

At the same time, I need to make equipment actually important, so I'm a bit unsure of this setup; what kind of equipment could you wear to be a Heavy Mobile, for instance, and how would I make sure it's equal in cost to different armors? I don't want Heavy Armored to be wasteful because it takes quality materials whereas Light Mobile requires cloth but is equally effective, for instance.

Finally, does anyone have a better name than Mobile? 'Unarmored' seemed clunky, but I'm not sure if I like Mobile completely either.

The second part is that if this system is good, what kinds of weapons would be strong/weak against which armor types? I was able to think of a few, but I figured I'd ask here what thematically seemed right to everyone. The goal, generally, is for most weapons to be strong against one category (+2 vs Armored), with some to be strong against one and weak against another (+4 vs Armored, -2 vs Light), and a handful to maybe do something stranger (+8 vs Armored, -4 vs Mobile, -4 vs Heavy).

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: October 15, 2011, 09:14:14 pm »

Nah, I think Mobile's a pretty good term for it. What I would suggest you do is break weapon classifications up like I have in CvRTD; have Blunt-type weapons such as maces and staves be good against Armored but weak against Mobile, (since weapons that rely on impact more than edge have a good effect against hard surfaces, but are slightly weaker against tissues that easily give. A slim thread, I know, but it'll work for purposes of illustration) have Slashing-type attacks be the 'default,' and have Piercing be good against Mobile / weak against Armored (since it's easier to pierce lighter stuff like leather and cloth, but plate will turn the blade aside). You can divide those further, if you'd like. One-handed Blunt weapons like maces would be good for Light Armored, while two-handed weapons like mauls would devastate Heavy Armored. Rapiers and daggers would be good for Light Mobile, while spears and flamberges would ruin Heavy Mobile. As always, just a few thoughts, feel free to ignore/use/scavenge however you want. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: October 15, 2011, 09:44:27 pm »

have Blunt-type weapons such as maces and staves be good against Armored but weak against Mobile, (since weapons that rely on impact more than edge have a good effect against hard surfaces, but are slightly weaker against tissues that easily give. A slim thread, I know, but it'll work for purposes of illustration)

have Slashing-type attacks be the 'default,'

have Piercing be good against Mobile / weak against Armored (since it's easier to pierce lighter stuff like leather and cloth, but plate will turn the blade aside).
I like it, but the only problem is that it means every weapon would have both a strength and a weakness. Maybe I'm overestimating how much extra work/complexity/etc. that'd be providing, but it was originally something I mostly wanted to avoid.

You can divide those further, if you'd like. One-handed Blunt weapons like maces would be good for Light Armored, while two-handed weapons like mauls would devastate Heavy Armored. Rapiers and daggers would be good for Light Mobile, while spears and flamberges would ruin Heavy Mobile. As always, just a few thoughts, feel free to ignore/use/scavenge however you want. ^^^
Mace: +1 vs Light, +1 vs Armored
Maul: +1 vs Armored, +1 vs Heavy
Rapier: +1 vs Light, +1 vs Mobile
Dagger: +1 vs Mobile, +1 vs Light
Spear: +1 vs Heavy, +1 vs Mobile
Flamberge: +1 vs Heavy, +1 vs Mobile

Looks good. I might want to change some stuff, but a nice starting point for things.

Incidentally, you're one of the people I was really hoping for insight from. Thanks. :3

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: October 15, 2011, 09:58:47 pm »

Jeez, Irony, you know how to flatter a guy. ;D I do like that classification system though. It makes it easier to picture what kind of enemy you're going up against. I mean I could easily classify all eight current Cv characters right now:

Heavy Armored: Malleus, Frenz
Heavy Mobile: Biernat, Pierre
Light Armored: Claire, Zathyran
Light Mobile: Greenmoore, Wymar

Maybe you should have the minor bonuses apply to standard weapons, and then if you get a special or named weapon or whatever, it would have a high bonus but a minor penalty? To keep using Cv examples...

Cutlass: +1 Light / +1 Armored
Rosara Cutlass: +3 Light / +2 Armored / -2 Heavy / -1 Mobile

That way it's still a total of +1 / +1, sort of...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 661