Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 707175 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7815 on: February 27, 2014, 04:03:40 pm »

Tomorrow I'm dropping what I have, just in case I do in fact disappear for a month or more.

This is for people to look at, and if they should want to, continue. Maybe one day there'll be a Director's Cut version?

Magic isn't something I've got a lot of ideas for, honestly. I might even write more than one module that can be interchanged.

Like, elemental base is the original idea, where a Witch could fling fireballs or cause overheats, launch freezing bolts or create an area so cold ice forms on everyone's Gears, and so forth. Every witch has access to different levels of direct attack, AoE/multitarget attack, and possibly a boost.
The next idea was based on classic magic schools- even Necromancy has it's claws in this one. Irony, your system helped here quite strongly. A necromantic Witch can't actually revive the dead, but she can inflict a LOT of damage by touch. Add this to a melee attack...

The third is similar to Puella Magi Madoka Magica, where you get a summon, infusion, and addition.
I might be able to summon a sword, have an additional pain tolerance that adds HP for my current mana pool, and an infusion that allows melee weapons to break magic barriers.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7816 on: February 27, 2014, 08:22:03 pm »

Well, I guess I've got the framework fixed up for my game, but before I do anything with it I'd like you guys to take a gander at what I've written so far.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What are your thoughts on it?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7817 on: February 27, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »

Sounds like standard sci-fi nonsense. So: awesome. I'd be in.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: February 27, 2014, 09:22:14 pm »

Multiple requirements for a single skill are difficult, both because its a mess visually (see below) and because it would require a LOT more planning.  Also interesting is that it would all but require that cross-links only occur within the same basic tree, otherwise things would get stupidly messy.

With a standard wikidot syntax, the skill tree looks vaguely like this as it stands.

* Base tier
   * Second Tier
       * Third tier
   * Second Tier

Which isn't horrible. However, since wikidot has no flowchart tool into which I can embed links, a tree diagram with crosslinks would look like this

_Base Tier
| \_Second Tier
|    \_Third Tier dependent on the above and below
\___/Second Tier

As you can see, that looks decent until I start trying to shimmy in a second pre-req.

It might be better if I just added synergies into the skills later, where I could just add tags into skills that would increase their effectiveness based on skills in completely different areas. (Trauma Control getting bonuses from Knowledge: Biology) Of course, that then creates whole new complex web of things to think up.

How about
*First tier
  *Second tier A
    *Third tier A
    *Third tier B: See also Second tier B
  *Second tier B
    *Third tier C
    *Third tier B: See also Second tier A
  *Second tier C
    *Third tier D

It wouldn't require you to actually draw the lines connecting them, and might only be actually used when building up to capstone abilities. So, fifth tier abilities might require investment in multiple trees, but no earlier. And you wouldn't need to actually link them together in the tree, so long as you weren't using an automated program to assemble the characters and check the rereqs of an ability instead of doing it yourself. Even then, you could just have the bot check for a "See also" when it finds the ability, then look elsewhere for the second instance.

I understand you want to use your flowchart tool; and that image looks nice. I'm just coming up with ideas.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: February 27, 2014, 10:21:20 pm »

Multiple requirements for a single skill are difficult, both because its a mess visually (see below) and because it would require a LOT more planning.  Also interesting is that it would all but require that cross-links only occur within the same basic tree, otherwise things would get stupidly messy.

With a standard wikidot syntax, the skill tree looks vaguely like this as it stands.

* Base tier
   * Second Tier
       * Third tier
   * Second Tier

Which isn't horrible. However, since wikidot has no flowchart tool into which I can embed links, a tree diagram with crosslinks would look like this

_Base Tier
| \_Second Tier
|    \_Third Tier dependent on the above and below
\___/Second Tier

As you can see, that looks decent until I start trying to shimmy in a second pre-req.

It might be better if I just added synergies into the skills later, where I could just add tags into skills that would increase their effectiveness based on skills in completely different areas. (Trauma Control getting bonuses from Knowledge: Biology) Of course, that then creates whole new complex web of things to think up.

How about
*First tier
  *Second tier A
    *Third tier A
    *Third tier B: See also Second tier B
  *Second tier B
    *Third tier C
    *Third tier B: See also Second tier A
  *Second tier C
    *Third tier D

It wouldn't require you to actually draw the lines connecting them, and might only be actually used when building up to capstone abilities. So, fifth tier abilities might require investment in multiple trees, but no earlier. And you wouldn't need to actually link them together in the tree, so long as you weren't using an automated program to assemble the characters and check the rereqs of an ability instead of doing it yourself. Even then, you could just have the bot check for a "See also" when it finds the ability, then look elsewhere for the second instance.

I understand you want to use your flowchart tool; and that image looks nice. I'm just coming up with ideas.

Automation would be easy enough to do, and I'm far from married to the layout ('Flowchart tool' makes what I have sound better than it is. I would kill to be able to make flowcharts in Wikidot without pulling teeth), but I'm troubled by the fact that this might get a wee bit frustrating when trying to make a character. If I could make a SOTS style spinning chamber that let you visualize everything, that would be fine, but on a plain page... I'll be honest, your example took me a second or two to comprehend.

However, since the current skill system only goes up to T4, I might add a chunk of Prestige, capstone, skills in as T5s. Each one would have multiple requirements to buy into, and possibly multiple ways in. These would also probably have stacking bonuses that applied across different fields when increased in rank.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: February 27, 2014, 10:27:01 pm »

It sounds like it's complicated but could be cool when it's finished. Just my two cents.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:44 pm »

It sounds like it's complicated but could be cool when it's finished. Just my two cents.

Yeah, bu-OMIGOD WHO ARE YOU AND WHY DO YOU HAVE BLUE HAIR I'M SCARED.

*Ahem*

My momentary mental break aside, I'll probably put a version of it into testing in a month or two from now.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: February 27, 2014, 10:32:42 pm »

A pretty pretty princess who brings all the boys to the yard, apparently. Hence the ships joke. :P

Let me know when you do. I'd like to help with that. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: February 27, 2014, 10:32:55 pm »

Draignean, I don't know what you're making but I would totally join it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:17 pm »

Huh. Well, if you wanted to keep up with the dev-cycle, such as it is, Go here.
---

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: February 28, 2014, 06:27:11 am »

Any opinions on my system? I am looking for some advice on them.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7826 on: February 28, 2014, 11:30:44 am »

Starlight Pattern
X-Men if the school in that was run for the SCP Foundation. You are a teenager who has developed superpowers in a world where people view you as a walking atomic bomb. Your parents send you to a school in Northern Canada that is equal parts superpower school, creepy "troubled teen" rehab camp, and maximum security prison. Try to survive and possibly escape.
Unique Feature
Superpowers that the players choose themselves. Unfortunately, superpowers as controlled by teenagers. Rolls are made on a d3: 1 means it goes terribly wrong, 2 means it goes as planned, 3 means it goes extremely to plan. The dice are intentionally stacked against you. However, as you gain more control over your powers, you'll be able to upgrade to a d6, then a d10, then a d20.

One thing I am not quite sure about is which one to go with, and how advancing attributes should be or if it should even be in the system at all. Opinions?

Do this one, and no attribute advancement.

Also, the attributes seem a little... wrong. For one, you have Poise and Grace, which both seem like designated dump stats to me. Also, Logic seems like a bit of a misnomer, considering that it governs memory. And Reflexes govern fine motor control and quick reactions, making it a great stat to rule them all. There's four mental and two physical attributes in total, which... doesn't really work too well, I think, since two of them (Poise and Grace, once again) look a little unattractive due to their narrow application.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:36:43 am by Harry Baldman »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: February 28, 2014, 11:48:18 am »

Well, I am of the opinion that social stats should be as important as mental and physical stats, but that's my personal opinion and I'm betting that players would much prefer to increase their physical/mental stats. I was thinking of having a reputation system for the Starlight Pattern RTD, since it is set in a place primarily inhabited by teenagers and bullying/cliques would definitely come into it, perhaps allowing for a little more use for them. I suppose I should make more physical stats. Possibly dividing up reflexes into new stats that encompass motor control and quick reactions. I'd need a fourth one though to even it all. Perhaps a perseverance stat that is focused on actions that imply having a lot of willpower like dragging yourself on broken glass or trying to stay awake with a concussion?

Also, I'm trying to think of a better name for logic. Memory would be a good start. The idea behind it is that it would be best for studying things and learning. Hence why instincts is more for "Got a bad feeling about this" rolls rather then other stuff.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7828 on: February 28, 2014, 02:03:08 pm »

Well, I am of the opinion that social stats should be as important as mental and physical stats, but that's my personal opinion and I'm betting that players would much prefer to increase their physical/mental stats. I was thinking of having a reputation system for the Starlight Pattern RTD, since it is set in a place primarily inhabited by teenagers and bullying/cliques would definitely come into it, perhaps allowing for a little more use for them. I suppose I should make more physical stats. Possibly dividing up reflexes into new stats that encompass motor control and quick reactions. I'd need a fourth one though to even it all. Perhaps a perseverance stat that is focused on actions that imply having a lot of willpower like dragging yourself on broken glass or trying to stay awake with a concussion?

Perhaps combine strength and agility into a Fitness stat, get a Constitution stand-in, plus Dexterity for fine motor control. The idea of Poise sounds like part of it (keeping calm) would work better as a skill, while others could be merged into Grace (appearing dignified, since that's what 'grace' kind of is).

Also, I'm trying to think of a better name for logic. Memory would be a good start. The idea behind it is that it would be best for studying things and learning. Hence why instincts is more for "Got a bad feeling about this" rolls rather then other stuff.

"Cognition", maybe?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7829 on: February 28, 2014, 04:14:00 pm »

Here andhere.

These are my design docs for Strike Gears. I don't intend to abandon it, but if anyone is interested enough, here's you're chance to grab it and make a good branch before I manage to slog through the crap on my end.

No idea what things are going to be like here, other than bad. My predictions were correct.

I should really play the lottery.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 661