Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 707590 times)

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile

i decided to set up an rtd that would most likely end very quickly in order to test my skills

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141970.0
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, they would overshoot all the time, but piecewise introduced decompensators that turn 6+ into a 5. Only the most expensive ones always work, though.
OHHHHH, THATS what was meant by decompensators.  I saw it on the TVtropes page, but didn't know what was meant by it.  So it's an actual item.  I thought it was just a new mechanic he was using.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i decided to set up an rtd that would most likely end very quickly in order to test my skills

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141970.0

well for starters ive learnt good formatting and editing helps draw in players

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this thing lsp has set up is exciting

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141758.0

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Yes, they would overshoot all the time, but piecewise introduced decompensators that turn 6+ into a 5. Only the most expensive ones always work, though.
OHHHHH, THATS what was meant by decompensators.  I saw it on the TVtropes page, but didn't know what was meant by it.  So it's an actual item.  I thought it was just a new mechanic he was using.

Glad I helped clarify, then. Hope you enjoy the read. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this thing lsp has set up is exciting

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141758.0

i'd rather have a gm who knows their shit help me flesh out what the fuck i am doing here but then putting everything here is a bad idea

but then not even i know what the fuck is going on exactly

it's pretty much how everything i create rolls

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

<3 You guys from ER.  I have been reading that.  And having you reply to my post feels like meeting a legend XD  I'm going all fangirly here.

I'm flattered. Thank you for the attention and I hope you keep having fun as you read the thread(s).

Even though the games didn't give you that courtesy... at least you could reload your game there.  Nothing quite like an ambush attack leading to your party getting status effect locked and/or petrified/instant death.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that can work in a videogame but is better left off the RtD.

ER was of course a big inspiration, but the Rolls was the reason for one of my concerns.  At least where I am in the story (mission 3 I think, the Research Outpost with the Puddle), I saw nothing that addressed handling the effects of high bonuses.  Especially for someone like Armory Master, or someone in an Avatar of War, they could get bonuses that push them to and above 6 quite regularly.  So are they going to suffer from overshoot all the time?  In any case I'm hoping my system will avoid that.

That's what I meant about bonuses getting messy. In ER near-godly levels of power are probably fine when you have people like the AM, but for your game I had in mind something with a slower progression and a ceiling. 2d6-based mechanics to make bonus allotment easier sounds appropriate.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:40:27 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

That's what I meant about bonuses getting messy. In ER near-godly levels of power are probably fine when you have people like the AM, but for your game I had in mind something with a slower progression and a ceiling. 2d6-based mechanics to make bonus allotment easier sounds appropriate.
For what it's worth, I've thought 2d6 is great. It allows for multiple levels of difficulty, if you so choose, gravitates towards the center because it's multiple dice, which makes for a higher frequency of reasonable outcomes, and there's more numbers, which makes bonuses easier.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Roll to Roller's Block
I just had this idea five seconds ago. Because, meta.

Discuss. Or don't, I don't care. I can't even into RTDs that well :P

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

I've been considering a system where instead of a 1d6, the die roll is 1d100 (also known as 1d%), where more points in the skill is obviously a higher % you can roll under to succeed. But once you pass 50%, the number of points to achieve the same increase doubles; except, like BaB from D&D, you get a second chance, too, that increases at the original rate. So what happens when your "second chance" reaches 50%? Both current chances halve their increase rate, and you start a third chance.

Like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where if a chance is a fraction of a percent, it always rounds down, because rolling equal or less to the chance to succeed is a success; any more is a failure.

So let's say that the points in a stat can never exceed 75 except by supernatural means. That's 3 chances at 87%, 75%, and 50% odds for success, a complete mastery at that stat; technically, there's a fourth roll, but at 0%, it's ignored and skipped. So an average stat would be close to 30. You have 55%/10%/0%/0% at that level. Pretty good, eh? Nice and average. So whatever the case, starting points should be 30 times the number of stats, with a 75 point max.

Bonuses to a roll should be formatted in a +X/+Y/+Z/+A style. They wouldn't have to follow the same growths as skills, and in fact shouldn't. Bonuses to X and Y would be for mundane tools and stuff that isn't overtly magical. Up to... a 5% bonus should be possible for X and 10% for Y, for masterfully worked equipment; the best of the best. Working with two such maximum bonuses, someone with 75 points in the relevant stat would achieve 97/95/50/0. Z is for magically enchanted items. They don't have to be masterwork items to be enchanted, they can be shoddily built and still be magical. You'd just have a +0/+1/+4/+0 or such item. Magic items would be limited to about +15. And +A bonuses would be of a Divine nature, or some such, unlocking the fourth roll basically. Even someone with just 5 points (10/0/0/0) could use a +A item and achieve a second chance (10/0/0+5/0+15), and even maxed stat players would benefit from it. The upper limit on a Divine bonus would be around +20. If you receive a bonus to a roll that your points don't allow you to use, you can still use that roll.

So the highest possible stat yields odds of 87/75/50/0, and the highest possible bonus from a single source is +5/+10/+15/+20. If a player achieves two sources for that bonus on one stat, the result is 97/95/80/40, which is legendary. However, I highly doubt any sane GM with a sane game using this system would give two max-bonus items to a player with a maxed stat anyways. Come to think of it, I don't think any sane GM would take this system.

Solid gold. I mean, seriously, that's amazing.

Can I steal it? (With modifications, of course)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Solid gold. I mean, seriously, that's amazing.

Can I steal it? (With modifications, of course)
Absolutely, that's why I shared it.
Just share me a link to where you use it if you do :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well there hasent been much intrest in roll to defend the bunker but i learnt a lot

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Roll to Roller's Block
I just had this idea five seconds ago. Because, meta.

Discuss. Or don't, I don't care. I can't even into RTDs that well :P

The players have become trapped in Roller's Block. They must navigate their way past changing scenarios and exhaustingly complex mechanics posts if they intend to escape. They can only hope the titanic GMs do not spot them and attempt to snatch them onto their playerlists.

I like it.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

well there hasent been much intrest in roll to defend the bunker but i learnt a lot

I've learned that the RTD player crowd is very fickle. A certain sect of players gravitate towards the minimalist games, a certain crowd is gung-ho on complex epic stories. The ER sect will never venture out of their sub board, so don't bother.  Player interest also seems to depend on your 'board cred' as a GM. Host a masterwork quality game and there will always be a player base for you.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

This makes me think of a Roll to GM. You are an aspiring GM on the RTD board. You are forced to collaborate with [NUMBER OF PLAYERS - 1] other GMs in order to face off against the great GMs (Read: expies of the most famous GMs) of the RTD board. Dealing with players are the regular battles of the game, while in order to defeat the great GMs you have to beat a mission in the style of one of their RTDs. It all culminates in a fight with Piecewise where he possesses six different forms at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 661