Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The programming language thread.  (Read 4997 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: The programming language thread.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 02:27:33 am »

Emacs does indentation nicely, it'll make sure everything is on the same level with just one press of the tab key. I've always hated how other IDEs mess with my style.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 08:25:26 am »

Good IDE's or build environments allow you to enforce good indentation with a formatter and checkstyle.

Any suggestions for Java? Bluejay does not do this.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 08:56:00 am »

Eclipse? MonoDevelop? NetBeans? All three are great, but I'd go with Eclipse (MonoDevelop is fine, and NetBeans lacks Intellisense).

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 12:43:34 pm »

Emacs does indentation nicely, it'll make sure everything is on the same level with just one press of the tab key. I've always hated how other IDEs mess with my style.
Yeah, Emacs is pretty decent with indentation, sometimes I want some parts to be indented abnormally and it'll work nicely with the new indentation most of the time (for example, functions that take a "target argument" like an SDL surface to draw on and some arguments as to how and where to draw it. If things get long I usually indent so that all non-target arguments are lined up instead of letting things line up with the first argument)

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 11:40:48 pm »

[troll] hai gais; what about Visual Basic? [/troll]

I'm taking a class in it, and, while it is just about idiot-proof, its not... it can't do very much, and seems to have some serious problems with filesizes. Every project file from my class burns a hole in my USB drive; it's pretty scary.

At least it's easy for a quick, simple project, and you don't need to be able to draw to make a nice GUI.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 11:45:01 pm »

Once had a class like that. Thankfully, MinGW easily fits on a 1GB flash drive, and doesn't require installation.
Eh?
Eh!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 09:51:31 am »

[troll] hai gais; what about Visual Basic? [/troll]

I'm taking a class in it, and, while it is just about idiot-proof, its not... it can't do very much, and seems to have some serious problems with filesizes. Every project file from my class burns a hole in my USB drive; it's pretty scary.

At least it's easy for a quick, simple project, and you don't need to be able to draw to make a nice GUI.

Well... I've done vb6 and vb.net for visual studio 2005 as well as asp pre .net (2.5 or 3.0 IIRC). Its a much less broken language than it used to be, but it is still pretty crappy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 08:33:41 pm »

var_1="hello world"
print var_1

Hello world in less then sixty keystrokes. I love Ruby, even though I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, and what the hell is ruby on rails i don't even

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 02:05:04 pm »

I enjoy Ruby. It is just so nice to not have to worry about things sometimes, and I actually find it frustrating now to go back to languages that don't have the things Ruby has (at least not as well done or as easily):
Code Blocks
Optional parameters and default parameters
Easily declaring and using parameter hashes (Not keyword arguments, but close enough)

Of course, other languages have their perks as well...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 03:35:11 pm »

I enjoy Ruby. It is just so nice to not have to worry about things sometimes, and I actually find it frustrating now to go back to languages that don't have the things Ruby has (at least not as well done or as easily).

I hear that.  Everything I do feels so slow in other languages.

Even so, I'm trying to slowly convert to python simply because of the higher quality libraries.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 03:37:24 pm »

I do have to admit, I do miss the run-time efficiency and pointers and libraries of C++ often enough, though...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 04:19:44 pm »

How bad is ruby anyway? I mean it's an interpreted language so you're always going to pay a price, but is it really something you're going to feel in day-to-day use? (I have to admit I haven't worked with interpreted languages a lot, so I'm in the dark here)

var_1="hello world"
print var_1

Hello world in less then sixty keystrokes. I love Ruby, even though I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, and what the hell is ruby on rails i don't even
Wouldn't
print "hello world"
be less keystrokes?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 04:27:26 pm »

Ruby isn't that bad unless you are doing something that needs raw processing power.  And usually you save that time anyway because you were able to write the code about 5 times faster.   :P  Its a little harsh on using up memory sometimes though.

puts "hello world"  #even shorter by 1 character
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 04:29:05 pm »

Because everyones "I want to make a game" thread gets derailed at some point by people talking about programming languages I made this thread to allow an outlet for that and keep peoples game threads on topic.

I am an expert on Java, C# and PSQL with a moderate to high level of familiarity with dozens of other languages, so I will contribute what I can.

I don't really know what language you'd consider more serious then C#? It's fully object oriented, functional and structured. Hell, it even has multimethods, a metaobject protocol and closures when you need them, things that "crowd favorite" C++ lacks. (Ok, granted, it lacks a preprocessor and it's not extensible, but then again, most languages aren't)

This isn't completely true. C# does not have closures at all. It has things incorrectly called closures that are really just inline anonymous methods, but they lack absolute encapsulation and are therefore not actual closures.
I'm not a fan of C# Closures, Delegates, Predicates, and all the crap they keep shoe-horning in... it just feels so "inelegant."

I know I'm probably going to be assaulted for this, but I actually like how JavaScript (well, ECMAScript) does a lot of things, including closures.  There are some pitfalls to it, but I think it's an overall fairly well thought out language.  I'm actually very interested in the advancements being done with JS currently but I worry that it doesn't have that much further to go before things really slow down in the VM front.

Sure, it doesn't have pointers and all the "fun" parts of C/C++ but I'm not even going to get into the argument on why I hate the convention of creating a header and a code file for everything you do.  I understand that it makes it easier to do interfaces, but I feel that should be an easily automated task if required.

Also, I'm not a fan of meaningful whitespace in languages even though I'd be well suited for it.  I spend a good part of my day cleaning up other people's code.  I can't count how many files I've gone through today and removed trailing spaces and cleaned up space vs. tab issues because they or their editor won't.  Abnormal whitespace bugs the crap out of me.  Of course, I enable whitespace characters in my tools because I can't stand hitting "end" and finding my cursor in the wrong spot or any of the other abnormalities of multiple developer habits involved in whitepsace.

I've only began learning Lisp.  I've kind of dropped the ball recently with looking for a house.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Eleas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 04:32:19 pm »

O hai worldz!

I'm a dabbler, mostly, but I'm passably conversant with Java, C# and dialects, PhP, various Basic dialects, and have a smattering of JavaScript (yeah, okay, HTML, but that's not really programming). What I do right in my spare time is actually germane to the topic at hand. I'm writing in Inform 7, a rules-based language for creating Interactive Fiction (like Zork and Planetfall).
Pages: 1 [2] 3