Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The programming language thread.  (Read 4995 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
The programming language thread.
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:19:56 am »

Because everyones "I want to make a game" thread gets derailed at some point by people talking about programming languages I made this thread to allow an outlet for that and keep peoples game threads on topic.

I am an expert on Java, C# and PSQL with a moderate to high level of familiarity with dozens of other languages, so I will contribute what I can.

I don't really know what language you'd consider more serious then C#? It's fully object oriented, functional and structured. Hell, it even has multimethods, a metaobject protocol and closures when you need them, things that "crowd favorite" C++ lacks. (Ok, granted, it lacks a preprocessor and it's not extensible, but then again, most languages aren't)

This isn't completely true. C# does not have closures at all. It has things incorrectly called closures that are really just inline anonymous methods, but they lack absolute encapsulation and are therefore not actual closures.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: The programming language thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:39:18 pm »

Ruby is my favorite language.  Java is my least liked.   :P  It always feels like there is far too much typing to do so little.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:14:49 pm »

Ruby is my favorite language.  Java is my least liked.   :P  It always feels like there is far too much typing to do so little.

Really? I hated ruby on rails when I tried it back in its first year, It required too many files to do anything at all, most of them empty or nearly so, it had huge issues with its OR mapping. Maybe its better now that it has matured, but it pissed me off enough that I won't bother going back.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »

No you are right, ruby on rails is still a pain.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:24:31 pm »

I'll say what I said in Tolyk's thread:
(Ok, granted, it lacks a preprocessor and it's not extensible, but then again, most languages aren't)
You can always use cpp for macros and whatever.
Code: [Select]
[ron@Tux:~]$ cat hello.cs
#define TEXT "hello, world!"
class Hello {
    static void Main() {
       System.Console.WriteLine(TEXT);
    }
}
[ron@Tux:~]$ cpp hello.cs | awk "NR>5" > temp.cs
[ron@Tux:~]$ dmcs temp.cs && rm temp.cs
[ron@Tux:~]$ mono ./temp.exe
hello, world!
cpp can be used anywhere, it doesn't look very good, but it's all a matter of adding another line to your Makefile.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 02:28:37 am »

Been trying python recently. Sooo rage inspiring! Why would anybody made a language like that?

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:34:57 am »

I like python, the syntax was much easier to learn for a complete noob, I have since moved to c++, and it makes an ok stepping stone

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 07:39:59 am »

I guess bitchslapping somebody into proper indenting is nice, but isn't it so much nicer to use forwards decelerations rather then doing the fact redefining trick when you want bidirectional navigability?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:12:56 am »

About indenting, I've been working on Common Lisp recently, and while it doesn't enforce any indenting rules, I've found it makes me really watch the indentation (and a lot of other things, like function and variables names) because if I don't the code becomes unreadable. I almost get nightmares thinking about how a piece of intentionally obfuscated Lisp code would look...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:14:31 am by Virex »

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 09:24:24 am »

I'm currently getting into F# and I really like the language...You also get the IDE for free (Visual Studio 2010 Shell)...I highly recommend to checkout http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/fsharp/cc835246, especially "Video: Introduction to F# " if you are interested into getting functional languages...(F# is a hybrid OO/functional language)
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:49:16 pm »

I guess bitchslapping somebody into proper indenting is nice, but isn't it so much nicer to use forwards decelerations rather then doing the fact redefining trick when you want bidirectional navigability?

Hence the move to cpp

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 07:29:16 pm »

About indenting, I've been working on Common Lisp recently, and while it doesn't enforce any indenting rules, I've found it makes me really watch the indentation (and a lot of other things, like function and variables names) because if I don't the code becomes unreadable. I almost get nightmares thinking about how a piece of intentionally obfuscated Lisp code would look...
I don't think there are any obfuscated lisp contests because it is so easy to write a program to prettify the indentation. 
I also indent frequently because it keeps it clearer which scope I'm in.
The great game of Warlocks!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 08:21:01 pm »

I think I'll continue to indent even after I move beyond Python. It keeps me clear about belongs what where and is beholden to what.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 08:24:17 pm »

I have been indenting before, and will continue to, after python. I have in the past been asked to help make some piece of code work that wasn't indented, and it was depressing to say the least. Back in high school my first programming teacher always insisted in proper indenting, and these days I thank him for it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 01:31:04 am »

I have been indenting before, and will continue to, after python. I have in the past been asked to help make some piece of code work that wasn't indented, and it was depressing to say the least. Back in high school my first programming teacher always insisted in proper indenting, and these days I thank him for it.

Good IDE's or build environments allow you to enforce good indentation with a formatter and checkstyle.

Pages: [1] 2 3