Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1276387 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #8370 on: February 20, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »

It saddens me; it seems like Kaels server is pretty much dead, and I've stored a whole lot there. I wish there was a new server to visit, though. I want to build again.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: February 20, 2012, 12:43:47 pm »

I blame the death on the death (?) of Kael and his server where we all used to mess around. Also I feel a bit like they've run themselves into a dead end with the whole hardmode thing but that's something else.

The only really nifty wiry thing I have is a slimeslayer that I ripped off from Repulsion.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: February 21, 2012, 04:22:30 pm »

Double post for an important announcement by Redigit:
Quote from: terrariaonline.com
The future of Terraria has been highly debated as of late, not just with the community, but for us as well. The last year has been a crazy ride! When I started on this game, I just had a few ideas of what I thought would make a fun game. I had no idea that it would receive so much attention. I want to thank all of you for supporting us and making this game's success possible.

After a lot of internal debate, we have decided that it is time to move on. My wife and I are due to have another boy soon, and I want to spend some time getting to know him. I also want to spend the time recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer. I have learned a lot from working on Terraria and plan on using what I've learned, building upon it, and moving forward with another, even better project. However, we are still planning at least one more bug fix for Terraria.

For those that haven't already heard, Finn "Tiy" Brice has moved on to form Chucklefish and is heavily at work on an exciting new game called “Starbound”. It's looking to be a lot of fun, so make sure to check it out if you haven't already!

Thanks again for all your support, and I am very much looking forward to providing you with something much better than Terraria in the future!
:( :( :(
Luckily it looks like Starbound will be able to fill up the void left by Terraria. So I guess that's the new hot game everone's buzzing about these days.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: February 21, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »

Ah well, is anyone going to claim they didn't get their 5 shillings worth from Terraria? Really?
*Hugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: February 21, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »

Ah well, is anyone going to claim they didn't get their 5 shillings worth from Terraria? Really?
People will mope about wasted potential and that they should have made more of an effort to hand the project off to somebody else to continue it, disregarding the problems involved with that plan. And complain that while the game was worth $5 it doesn't feel complete and that this is a major problem.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: February 21, 2012, 04:46:27 pm »

Well, considering the dude made a cool million in a year and just dropped the project, that doesn't seem unreasonable. And it's the complete opposite of "support Terraria until people quit asking stuff of us."

So yeah, consider me disappointed and kind of annoyed. Would I do it differently? I don't know. But with $1million in my bank account, it would be pretty easy to sit at home, play with my kid and diddle on new features for the rest of my life.

Because it's not like Terraria was sporting DF levels of complexity. Oh well. Maybe modders will pick up where De-Logic left off. For being the shining star of the indie scene, Terraria crashed and burned like a meteor.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:49:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: February 21, 2012, 04:50:51 pm »

It would be nice if they opened it up a bit for modders before they leave it.  I could never quite get into Terraria as much as other people, but it seems a shame for it to just stop there when people seem to be enjoying it so much.

Then again, Starbound is sounding so ridiculously good that maybe they figure Terraria has no point now.  :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:52:29 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: February 21, 2012, 04:56:58 pm »

Well, considering the dude made a cool million in a year and just dropped the project, that doesn't seem unreasonable. And it's the complete opposite of "support Terraria until people quit asking stuff of us."

So yeah, consider me disappointed and kind of annoyed. Would I do it differently? I don't know. But with $1million in my bank account, it would be pretty easy to sit at home, play with my kid and diddle on new features for the rest of my life.

Because it's not like Terraria was sporting DF levels of complexity. Oh well. Maybe modders will pick up where De-Logic left off. For being the shining star of the indie scene, Terraria crashed and burned like a meteor.

1 million? they sold probably somewhere along 1.3 millions at 5-10$ each...

But really, he deserve it, terraria is a vast game. true, not DF level deep, but still, its not a 2 hours ride.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: February 21, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »

I can feel the rage of 'more involved' fan base/fan trolls already, though...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #8379 on: February 21, 2012, 05:53:39 pm »

Ah, guess I can stop waiting for updates then, and modify my status.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: February 21, 2012, 06:19:50 pm »

Wow, there's a lot of wasted potential there. Especially the wires. Oh well... the game was $5 anyway, and it was worth every penny. Still, I think he could've extracted a few more kaching from that game if he chose to maintain it.

At the very least, he should add mod support before saying goodbye. There's a lot of people willing to mod the game as soon as it's official.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: February 21, 2012, 07:03:59 pm »

Well, hardmode was kind of a dead-end, and the other expansion ideas (alternate dimensions, other planets, space) would have taken quite a bit of work. I kind of suspected things were going down when Blue left without fanfare and the update schedule started slipping...

It was fun while it lasted.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: February 21, 2012, 07:15:37 pm »

Would have been nice if they had improved the online code a bit more before dropping it, but meh. I don't play online much anyway.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: February 21, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »

For being the shining star of the indie scene, Terraria crashed and burned like a meteor.
Your definition of "crashed and burned" seems to be completely different from mine.
It was most definitely profitable, the name Re-Logic is known across huge parts of the internet and there's a giant fanbase that will at least look at, if not instantly buy anything they produce.

That's not "crashed and burned", that's a great success!

"Crashed and burned" would be if an indie game was hyped to no end and praised by indie game blogs as "the next big thing" only to turn out to be a really bad game, ending in commercial failure. Or, even worse, if development had to be discontinued half-way through. THAT would be a game that crashed and burned. Terraria did not crash or burn.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:05:19 pm by MC Dirty »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:15 pm »

You're not looking at the "indie scene" part of that. Consider what you thought the future of Terraria was going to be, based on what Re-Logic had said, versus where we're at now. Re-Logic basically went from treating their game like an indie title, to treating it like a AAA title.

Given what they'd said in the past, yeah, I think promise of the game crashed and burned. What I thought would be a game developing over several years turned into a game developing and finishing in under a year. When I look at how much love was poured out on the game by its fans (I think it generated as much as art as DF does)...yeah. Of all the things I expected Re-Logic to do with their success...selling the guts of Terraria off to the art guy to start his own game, packing up and leaving was not among them. I do remember when they started talking about their ethos, they said they made the game because they wanted "their own game." Now it seems like it was less about the game and the ideas behind it, and more about trying to have a commercial success.

Or to put it in other terms, I expected out of Terraria something approaching DF's level of commitment to their own game. And why not? Sitting on millions, it's not like anyone expected anything else out of them than what they were already doing.

I suppose if your metric of success for indie games is that they catch the popular imagination, sell millions and then close shop, yeah, Terraria has nothing to complain about. Games that continue to grow and stay supported by their fan bases is what I consider success for indie games, and in that sense, Terraria be dead.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:18:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 887