Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My kind of Megaproject  (Read 3179 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My kind of Megaproject
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:24:01 am »

While huge architectural challenges are interesting to behold, they never appealed to me enough to get me to take one on myself. Instead, I gravitate towards this sort of project:

Preword

Yes, I mod DF in my own personal flavour. That's not the point of this post - this same project could be done in vanilla DF in a mineral scarcity 100 world with less interesting item names. Some of the more notable changes:
- There are 4 goblin-style races who snatch/ambush/siege me. Three of them are elves.
- "Eldritch" is a cheat metal. I added it for infinite metal ammo and metalskill training when experimenting with crossbow forts. Effectively it's the best of both steel and lead which can also be used for clothes and glazing.
- Goblinite also has gold, silver, lead and platinum mixed into it. Platinum scourges and other blunts pretty much ignore my cheat metal armour anyway.
- "Fields" and "Auras" are just bigger shields and cloaks respectively.
- "Tentacles" are all-in-one weapons. They can do axe, war hammer, sword, spear, dagger and crossbow attacks. Actually, not quite crossbow attacks as I modded bolts to attack like huge slicing discs not narrow sticks. I like seeing body parts fly off from a ranged barrage.
- Butchery ethics: even the organic components of goblinite are harvested. I need to set up magma sewage systems to wash away body parts though for stockpile efficiency.

The Screenshots

My Countess started out as a novice sworddwarf and became an accomplished one (Lv 10) after 2 seasons of solo training. This is what she used:

Now that she's a legendary, here are some of the more interesting items she's wearing:

Spoiler: "Selected Inventory" (click to show/hide)

Further items I prepared for her but she just couldn't put them on in the end (though I could mod that):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lessons Learnt
- Proper armour items ([Layer:Armour]) and weapons cannot be encrusted with gems.
- Clothes rot even if they don't have the [SOFT] tag on them. Just being designated as an Under or Over layer is enough to trigger wear.
- Prisoners also suffer clothing rot.
- Dwarves don't claim clothes they can't path to and they won't claim when they're busy with a job. Conversely, they only need a tiny instant of being idle to claim clothes. I locked my jeweler up and made sure he never had idle time or break time (savescumming if he did).
- Soldiers may need a while to pick up new equipment. I had to lock my Countess in a room (with a station order) with just the tailor-made clothes and forbid all other masterworks to make sure she picked up these clothes without someone else claiming them.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: My kind of Megaproject
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:42:30 pm »

I'm actually almost depressed that there are no posts other than the OP, it's a pretty interesting idea and I'd have liked to hear about it when it happened...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »

I'm actually almost depressed that there are no posts other than the OP, it's a pretty interesting idea and I'd have liked to hear about it when it happened...
Might just be the time differences for everyone ASCIt ;)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »

Well, time...differences...aside, I'd be willing to lurk here for a while.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:16 am »

Can i have this mod?
It would be just about perfect for doing expiriments you dont want to build up a entire fort for etc.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.