Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone Diversity?  (Read 1546 times)

Byteheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone Diversity?
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:42:55 am »

I've been playing the most recent build, 31.25, for a couple of days now and it seems that I don't encounter nearly as many varieties of stone in a single area as I did in previous builds. Actually, I only encounter one type of stone in the first 2 - 4 layers in any one biome. Embarking on multiple biomes creates a "seam" in the layers where the different types of stone meet, that is, unless both biomes feature the same type of stone in those layers.

Not that I'm complaining mind you, it feeds my OCD better than colour coordinating my Lego bricks  :P

Just wondering if this is new behavior and whether or not it's going to stick (crossing my fingers). On the other hand: I'm getting pretty sick of mudstone; give me some damn microcline!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:44:26 am by Byteheart »

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Diversity?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:57:51 am »

This is probably due to the scarcity parameter in the worldgen.

I don't know which version you used to play until two days ago, but recent versions have less mineral variety. And in particular, less metal variety.

Byteheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:08:50 am »

So, unless I change my parameters, this is how I can expect my stone and metal situations to play out? That's great! I guess I'll just have to treat my merchants better when I want to diversify my stocks.

Thanks for the reply.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:18:02 am »

less metal variety.
Less tetrahedrite variety is more like it.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:15 am »

Metal scarcity is one thing, yes, and jesus does the lack of reliable coal annoy me - tetrahedrite is cool, because copper and silver is at least usuable for something, but without coal, I feel the dependancy on magma forges is too big, which limits "good" embark sites.

Anyhow, it also seems intersecting biomes do not affect the type of rock at the embark site like it used to do anymore. From 31.18 and previous, the generator would somewhat correctly apply the various stone types of the different biomes inside the embark, but from what I've seen, the current generator seems to pick a biome at random from the overlapping biomes, then applying its type of stone for the entire embark site instead of doing a split. This, of course, reduces the ammount of metals and stone you'll get, compared to earlier versions.

That said, I usually play on 2x2 and 3x3 due to cpu limitations, so the problem might not be existing in larger biomes. Anyone want to check?
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:19 am »

Setting up a charcoal industry isnt that much of an inconvenience is it? Say 10 dwarfs and some immigrant haulers is enough labor to supply a few wood furnaces constantly. Even if you dont have surface trees you have cavern ones to harvest. And if you want that safer just flood large underground rooms and watch the trees slowly grow.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:06:27 am »

To be fair, you do have magma everywhere, so I don't really see how that limits you. I'm flirting with the idea of just using dfliquids to spawn some magma closer to my main workshop area, to avoid the fps hurdles of magma pumping.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:35 am »

less metal variety.
Less tetrahedrite variety is more like it.

What, you don't want billon-aire dwarves?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:47:28 am »

To be fair, you do have magma everywhere, so I don't really see how that limits you. I'm flirting with the idea of just using dfliquids to spawn some magma closer to my main workshop area, to avoid the fps hurdles of magma pumping.
You're right, of course. Every embark has magma, and generating a world with an overabundance of volcanoes is trivial, making it reachable at early levels. I personally feel, though, that being shoehorned into requiring magma for metal industry is limiting the variety of my game experience more than I'd like for it to be. With coal in abundance in the sedimentary layers, embarking was a lot freer in regard of the metal industry, as you'd not have to worry too much about high ammount of embark-site wood or placing yourself smack-dab next to a volcano.

It's of course only a personal worry, but change that reduces gameplay variance and possibilities is a bad design descision from my point of view.

Also, digging past the first cave pulls my FPS from a soft 90+ to 60-70 even with strict pathing restrictions, and I like having my dwarves calculate quickly. <.<
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:31 am »

Also, reaching said magma tends to involve a chance of breaching the caverns, something a prudent player doesn't attempt without a well-established militia. To say nothing of the nasties living in the magma itself!
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:37 pm »

A well-established militia or a dabbling mason, you mean.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »

A well-established militia or a dabbling mason, you mean.
A dabbling mason, until your militia is well-established.  Then you deconstruct the wall and colonize the cavern.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.