Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No dwarves vanilla .25 high volcanism and max minerals  (Read 4086 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No dwarves vanilla .25 high volcanism and max minerals
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:07:33 pm »

The title says it all.

17x17 world.  3 cavern layers.

There are some Very Dwarfy highly excellent 4x4 embarks all over this map with more minerals than you can shake a stick at, and volcanos to boot.

Humans and Goblins are the only ones sharing this world with you.

Can you restore the dwarves to power in this world?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4577
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: No dwarves vanilla .25 high volcanism and max minerals
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:37:20 pm »

Is that a challenge!?

(No, really, is it? :P)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:02:53 pm »

Is that a challenge!?

(No, really, is it? :P)

Nope, but I might make a succession fort out of this after about 50 years in my current location.

18 dwarves, the only growth will be births.  I might even use this to experiment and try to understand the military :P
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:31:53 pm »

Over 5 years now without traders.

130 fps still :)

Getting ready to start some smithing

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »

Over 5 years now without traders.

130 fps still :)

Getting ready to start some smithing
Since you are getting all your dwarves via births, how about making a "rite of passage" of sorts where a dwarf child that just matured into a peasant has to make a full suit of cheap metal armor, weapon included, and then wear that for the rest of their lifes? Not only will you ensure the long-term survival of the dwarf to stuff like FB extract pools and random gobbo bolts (every life should be valuable), but you also ensure that, should they get a mood, youll get something useful instead of a random craft/bracelet.
Unless you are doing some heavy !SCIENCE!/megaprojects, it shouldnt be too time consuming and youll get to fiddle with the equipment mechanics of the military.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Remember to put all dwarves into a small meeting room to enhance friendship-building and therefore marriage.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:17 am »

It is so incredibly nice to have a great embark, and no population pressures, without having to play with init file settings.

My 18 dwarves are doing fine, but the are very busy organizing.  over 3000 food and 1000 drink, the hospital and dining rooms are getting their wells hooked up next time I play.

I have iron and flux.  Looking for some bituminous coal or lignite.  Failing that I'll breach the caverns and start a tree farm or something for coal.

I have more tetrahedrite than I can shake a stick at, so I'll be skilling up armorsmith and weaponsmithing with copper and silver respectively.

I've changed the meeting area size to 3x3 around the well that I will be filling tomorrow.  My dwarves are not socializing enough - no marriages yet, but everyone HAS been terribly busy.

The fort is sealed tight, there's no hurry.  When I open the fort again, it's gonna be legendary steel or candydwarves to meet enemies, even it it takes 30 years.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 06:56:44 am »

Thanks for sharing. This has a great potential. I've settled near the brook Pleatguises and the Volcano of Mice. Obsidian citadel incoming!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:14:33 am »

Watch out for salt water!

My embark is a salt water embark even though it's nowhere near salt water.

Tonight I design a water purifier & mist generator.

3000 meals and 1000 drink, lol.  18 dwarves.  I think I might turn off every task in the fortress a year and let them get cozy with each other after I get the mist generator and well up and running.  We need kids.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:52:08 pm »

Just remember to change the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION] and [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE] to 0 for the gobbos if you want them to siege you...
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 09:04:53 pm »

They will show up eventually, when the population grows a bit.  No hurry.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:34:14 pm »

Could you share the worldgen parameters from which this world originated? I'd like to generate a similar one and try my luck at survival of the dwarven race as well, but since it may result in a story and/or even a webcomic (due to the narrative potential of such game), I'd prefer an original world to one already "inhabited" by other players. If that's okay with you, of course :)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 11:40:06 pm »

Sure - here we go:

I had to override about 30 times before I got a successful build, but with 17x17 worlds, that doesn't take much time at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is almost exactly how I normally generate my worlds on my home machine - except the megabeast and semimegabeast related numbers :)

Basically I loaded the world with huge numbers of things to eat bipeds.  I'm amazed there are any civs at all.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:44:20 pm by Farmerbob »

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21:10 am »

Thanks! I'm going to give it a go this evening. If this project spawns anything creative at all, I'll post it on the forums.

I wonder how many failed attempts it will take, though :)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 08:26:35 am »

Could you share the worldgen parameters from which this world originated? I'd like to generate a similar one and try my luck at survival of the dwarven race as well, but since it may result in a story and/or even a webcomic (due to the narrative potential of such game), I'd prefer an original world to one already "inhabited" by other players. If that's okay with you, of course :)
For future reference, you can export a playable world's seed and parameters with legends mode.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: [1] 2