Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing clothing from the game  (Read 2985 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Removing clothing from the game
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:35:53 am »

I've seen this done in a few different mods, namely rephikul's inactive Intensifying Mod.
I never play DF on good computers, and I just don't wanna deal with clothing and its wear and whatnot.
As of now, I know almost literally nothing about modding.  I mean, I know where to find easy, basic things, but in general, what are the things that I'll need to do to mod clothing out?

Some things that spring to mind: Remove reactions for it from the clothing shop, remove from the RAWs the tendency of entities to wear clothing (and somehow incorporate it onto the body?).

Thanks in advance!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Removing clothing from the game
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:03:46 am »

Go to entity_default, remove all the dwarf clothing except the military armor, remove [PERMITTED_JOB:CLOTHIER] and then never build clothier's workshops.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:38:39 am »

You can also remove the tag permitting the clothier building, I believe.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:46:10 am »

You can also remove the tag permitting the clothier building, I believe.
The clothier building is hardcoded for all civs.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 09:07:31 pm »

If you like the way Intensifying Mod handled clothing, I would recommend just using that mod's item_helm/armor/gloves/pants/shoes.txt files.  Nothing has changed in those files from .18 -> .25, so it's safe to just copy them over.  These files remove most excess clothing types, and turn all remaining clothing into 'armor', which takes no wear damage and can only be worn voluntarily via the military interface, and also causes migrants to show up with no clothing and disallows any clothing claiming.

The only other thing you need to edit to complete this is entity_default.txt, which contains references to each individual clothing item for each civilization.  Again, you can copy the blocks of armor allowances from Intensifying's entity_default.txt, and paste them over the ones from .25 (don't copy the whole file, as there are new things in this file in .25).  For example, under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN], replace all of the lines starting with [ARMOR down to the line before [SHIELD, i.e.:
Code: [Select]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_LEATHER:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_COAT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TOGA:UNCOMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_VEST:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_DRESS:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_ROBE:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_CAP:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HOOD:COMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS:COMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES:COMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_MITTENS:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS_LOW:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LEGGINGS:COMMON]
..with the corresponding lines from Intensifying's [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in entity_default.txt:
Code: [Select]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:FORCED]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:FORCED]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_LEATHER:FORCED]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK:FORCED]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:FORCED]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_CAP:FORCED]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HOOD:FORCED]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS_D:FORCED]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_MITTENS:FORCED]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS_D:FORCED]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:FORCED]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:FORCED]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES_D:FORCED]
..repeating this for each of the 5 civ types.  This still allows you to make clothing and leather armor for voluntary wear under actual armor, and goblins should only come wearing basic armors and the occasional leather hood etc.  You can also remove the hood/cap/pants/etc references from the goblin civ if you don't want them to wear any clothing at all under their armor, just make sure they have some actual 'hard' metal armortypes available like greaves, breastplates, etc.

Edit: If you want to embark in cold biomes, you'll also want to edit tissue_template_default.txt and increase the [INSULATION:100] value for [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FAT_TEMPLATE] to around 400-500 so that dwarves are naturally more cold-resistant without clothing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:13:05 pm by Mikey »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:38:34 am »

I've always considered clothing a nuisance as well, but with some of the new forgotten beast syndromes, shoes can be extremely helpful. For example, I've let the cloths rot off of most of my dwarves, and I now have about 10 or so dwarves in a state of perma-vomiting all over the fort.

What happens is this: though I have set tracking contaminants to 'off', I have a fountain in a high traffic common area. If somebody picks up an item with some FB extract on it and goes through the fountain, The extract will fall on the floor. At that point, everyone who walks on that floor tile without shoes will get the disease. They won't pick up the contaminent and spread it around, but depending on the disease the effect can still be fairly catastrophic. For dust and gas attacks, it can be very difficult to contain every contaminated item, especially in areas with a ton of battle debris. Even years after the forgotten beast invasion, someone will pick up some bones that were gassed and try to stockpile them, go through the fountain, and you notice nothing until dwarves just start dying in droves.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:31:30 pm »

You can still draft all citizens into inactive military squads and assign them a clothing-only uniform.  It can be annoying for large forts, but less annoying than having their clothing disintegrate after a few years anyway, forcing you to do the same thing while also dealing with tons of claimed and unused clothing lying around.

I'd love to see some fixes to the clothing system to make it less obtuse and more functional, but until then, armor-only seems to be the best option.