Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40352 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. And yet another turn!
« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2011, 10:02:07 am »

Then I'd suggest sending an Hufuf, as they're cheap and disposable.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2011, 09:39:58 pm »

Yeah, but they don't have geo sensors. Here's a design I cooked up that should be similar enough that it could be produced at the same yard as a Hufuf or Mersin without retooling:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Based on mock-up simulations, with a thermal sig of 63, they'd have to have at least 9 tracking stations on Mercury to detect it (assuming no research boosts to sensor strength) within Earth's orbit, and that's only if Mercury is near perigee. It would take 12 stations to detect it within Mars orbit near perigee. If we time a mission to be roughly when Mercury is at apogee, we should be thoroughly safe so long as they haven't left sentries. The Doha should have more than enough speed to outrun anything we've seen so far, the main problem would be a lack of sensors to detect enemies. Could tack on a small thermal sensor (say 0.5 size), although that drops the speed from 7000 km/s to 6461 km/s. Plus, I don't see the observed thermal signature for the enemy classes, so I don't know if that's sufficient range or overkill.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 23, 2011, 02:57:38 am »

Here are the last orders I got. Please update them, I'll run the turn tomorrow.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 23, 2011, 03:52:17 am »

(Posting to watch)  Seriously what's the point of the notify button?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #349 on: August 23, 2011, 04:26:39 am »

(Posting to watch)  Seriously what's the point of the notify button?

a notify button EXISTS!? OH MY GOD.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 23, 2011, 09:54:47 am »

Nevermind, i just found where the forum hides the notifications.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2011, 08:43:16 am »

9th of February

A new slipway is added on the Benevolent shipyard. Orders are given for a new Hufuf to be laid. Another slipway is also under construction.

20th of February

Much alarm today as a Werewolf was detected moving toward Titan. It soon turned away, and it is now circling round the Asteroid Belt. The Kaffir obviously decided to patrol it to prevent us from moving in!

15th of April
3 Hufufs were finished today. To save on maintenance, they are stocked in the Ashdod's hangar, which is now more crowded than the Great Souk on a market day. (Yeah, apparently there is a bug that let you land more parasites than the Mothership is supposed to handle. The Ashdod now has -28 hangar capacity left. :p I'll RP that as the fact that more FAC can be stowed in the Ashdod when it's not moving, but the extra FACs will have to go out once the Ashdod go somewhare.)

Orders were given for three more Hufufs to be produced.

18th of June
May Allah be praised! Abdul Al-Azred, that some were starting to nickname “The Mad Arab” for his scientific delusions, just proved his worth again. He made the first Ion Engines prototype and say he can design working models. New versions of the B'ewed and Jewad were ordered, as well as new reactors using the Gas-Cooled technology. Our new FACs should be

28th of June
Working overnight, Al-Azred has finished the new B'ewed FAC engine. However, the High Command decide to wait until new armor technology is available to produce the Hufuf Mk.II.

3rd of July
A new Hufuf is built. A new one is laid down.

8th of July
The Jewad-B is finished. New design of the Ashdod and Hebron are created. Again the high command decide to wait for better armor, but preliminary study show the new design can manae 3,000 km/s, going a long way toward closing the speed gap between them and the Kaffir's ships.

18th of July
With the completion of the new Kanwen-B reactor, Al-Azred is now free to pursue research into armor technology. He is promising results by the end of October.

8th of September
Three new Hufufs were completed today, bringing our total to 34. Three more are ordered. They should be finished by the end of January 1545,  exactly when the fifth slipway will be finished. After that, the Benevolent shipyard will be retooled to produce Hufuf Mk.II.

23rd of October
Al-Azred has produced a new kind of armour, a alliage of Duranium and Neutronium stronger than any material known to man. The stronger “Composite” armour allow us to do with less armour weigh for the same protection. Using new engines, power plant and armour, new designs were drafted for approval by the High Council.

Spoiler: New Design (click to show/hide)

23rd of November
A new Hufuf was produced. No more were laid down as the shipyard need to be emptied before being retooled to produce the new Hufufs

8th of December
Al-Azred, cloturing his Annus Mirabilis wrote a treaty on the managing of factories that'll greatly expand our manufacturing capability. He says he want to write another treaty over the correct management of laboratories, that should be ready by the end of next year.

13th of December
Al-Azred was awarded new power by the Caliph, making him even more efficient in his research. He now says he can finish his treaty before October!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2011, 08:43:53 am »

State of the Caliphate

Spoiler: Titan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technologies (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

Slowly but surely, the LP advance.

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Updated 08/26
« Reply #353 on: August 26, 2011, 09:17:59 am »

Why is Al-Azred researching Research Rate?

I thought he was researching construction
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 26, 2011, 09:20:40 am »

He finished construction.

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 26, 2011, 09:24:49 am »

"He says he want to write another treaty over the correct management of laboratories, that should be ready by the end of next year."

Didn't see that bit.
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2011, 09:32:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are there any planetary bodies near Titan which have enough minerals to be used as productive mining colonies?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:01 am »

Titania got some minerals. But you've still got more than enough on Titan.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 29, 2011, 06:33:53 pm »

I must demand the commissioning of some kind of high speed, long range reconnaissance craft. Something the enemy cant catch. Right now, you guys must not look good to them.

EDIT:
Or better yet, Drones! Drones with big ass sensors to annoy the hell out of the Mercurians! And then some drones the same size with just enough armament to be dangerous in numbers! That way, these drones can be safely used as decoys when the time comes for a decisive battle. The mercurians will see the drones and believe it to be a ruse, as the drones are always harmless. "Just another crowd of recon drones" but then BAM! Missiles and whatnot pop out of some of the drones! Plus, the drones must never appear alone. Not next to each other during their recon runs or anything. Widely spaced to really take in the inner solar system and keep a single ship from enguaging more than one or two.

As an added benefit to annoying the enemy, this plan should provide us with valuable tactical data on enemy shipping.

Ignore all of this if drones cant be recovered, go with some sort of similar long range fighter.

I think once our tech levels get a bit higher, we should commission a line of Fast Frigates.
That, or some big battlecruiser to outrange, outgun, and outrun whatever the hell they shot at us. Just pound away at it from outside of firing range. A direct response to their design.

IMPORTANT BIT
We still have an advantage. They dont know what our capitol ships are like, so while they are upgrading randomly, we can tune our weapons to match theirs. But we need more data. As sun-tzu put it, "Know thy enemy, know thy self."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:55:38 pm by thobal »
Signature goes here.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:43 pm »

That, or some big battlecruiser to outrange, outgun, and outrun whatever
We went into meson tech, which means we can neither outrange, nor outgun (our best bet with mesons is to get as close as possible and have some extra armor so we could take the hits while we wait for their fuel tanks to explode). We could take lasers as a parallel second branch, but that would keep us 1 level behind on both (in actuality, probably a bit less).

Also, drones can't be recovered, no. And I think they're getting the missile-nerf.
Seconding Fast Frigates Destroyers Frigates (oh, hey, alliteration!), but right now (or once we get prototypes of our new engine and reactors, anyway). Take the Hebron, throw away the turrets (be sure to put some 'plain' mesons back), slap on some armor, and maybe an extra engine to make them fast (we'll also paint them Fiery-red).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30