Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: Ceilingchew - Succession Game - More spots open!  (Read 39939 times)

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ceilingchew - Succession Game (All Spots Claimed)
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »

I take it that this has been completely forgotten about. Spish, make your first post in 24 hours or you'll be skipped, and we'll go back to Crusty's save.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:16 pm »

Yeah, to be honest I'm really not feeling this run for some reason. Got sidetracked by other things and just can't bring myself to finish it. And since the incoming hurricane is inevitably going to knock out the power here (which in my experience usually lasts anywhere from 1 day to several weeks), a full year seems unlikely. Next player can have the turn, if they respond before I change my mind and post the update.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:46:30 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2011, 12:22:10 pm »

Hrgg. Fievreux, you're skiped. Pisano, you're next.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2011, 01:34:23 pm »

Okay, I'll grab the save and start working on it.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2011, 07:59:50 pm »

Pisano's Journal of Ceilingchew

127 Dwarves strong

1816 bottles o' booze.  Ah, refreshing.

Oh the riches of the earth. Ne'er before have I seen such a wealth of gems in the ground.  And ore, beautiful ore, this place abounds in it!  All of this wealth and the itty-bitty living spaces.

5th Granite, 10

While inspecting the troops I noticed the dearth of chest armor.  As such I ordered some steel hauberks and breastplates crafted.  The troops are quite discontent for some reason.  Possibly the 24/7 training they've been forced to endure, but I'm not sure.  I have also heard grumblings from those labeled as useless, they aren't happy about not being given quarters to sleep in.

12th Granite, 10

The great pit experiment has ended in tragedy.  I am given to understand that we are meant to drop our enemies down this large pit, but instead it is the miners who dug themselves into a corner and then were dropped.  Dobar Ingishamnek, Mosus Uniblocun, Doctor C. Man, a dog, and probably others were either injured or killed in a major collapse.  I am not sure why the good doctor was mining to begin with, but there you have it. So far we've found 4 picks and only two corpses. 

Doctor C. Man is puking his guts out from the sight of little dwarf bits all over the place.

I've put the digging of this project on hold.  For that matter the great strip mining of level 16 has also been put on hold.  We've revealed more gold/silver/and gems on this level than we will use for a long time.

17th Granite, 10

You know what time it is...

hmm, what will the Furnacesmith make I wonders..he claimed a craftdwarfshop.

He grabbed

21st Granite, 10

Nelzurakun, "The Invisible Catch", the all-wood artifact blowgun, has been put on display in the dining room, already the dwarves gather around it so admire it.

I'm worried about two soldiers, Kogask and Udib.  They are both very unhappy.  Something about a long patrol duty and sleeping on the floor while due to the strict training regimen.  Kogsak is known to often be sad and dejected and this is only making things worse.

28th Granite, 10

Value: 13680*

Awesome buckler with multiple references to previous artifacts!

13th Slate, 10

Some folks are still unhappy.  I've ordered the construction of quite a few coffers and cabinets to try and give the dwarves a place to stash their junk.  That and we're digging out a few new deluxe rooms including one for your truly, the head mason. 

22nd Slate, 10

Vagrants have arrived, 23 of them!  Well they won't have rooms immediately in any case.  A few new rooms are up and running and many of the existing rooms have had more furniture added, but cutting my truly massive new quarters has cut into our ability to build new rooms.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:05:00 pm by Pisano »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2011, 02:53:16 am »

Looks good!
Is Yagor still alive? If spears are one-handed, she could always use a shield... :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:17 am »

Yes I'm pretty sure I saw Yagor.  In fact all 7 of the starting dwarves are alive, which might be something of a record.  I'll do some human dwarven interest stories in the next update.  This was mostly me trying to figure out how this fort works and fix a few things here and there. 

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2011, 08:52:17 am »

Yeah, I'm sure plenty of stuff needs fixing. :P Good update, plenty of screenshots and such.
The pit o' death has had a pretty bad track record all told... Two dwarves died the first time I tried to deepen it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:44 am »

It is aptly named then!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2011, 12:48:10 pm »

Two and a half days without power. My turn was doomed from the start.

On the subject of the entrance pit, I noticed the digging designations and knew right away it was a train wreck waiting to happen; you're not supposed to designate all the layers for channeling at once, you're supposed to do them one at a time. If you do the former, the miners will injure the hell out of themselves with random pitfalls and cave-ins. If you do it right, the miners will move down a Z-level once all the floor in it has been removed (you don't even need stairs... in fact it helps if you don't, since the miners will never be able to take breaks without them).
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2011, 10:45:53 pm »

1st Felsite

Yagor... Yagor is a legend with a legendary name.  Her full title is Yagor the Ever-mad, Bootman the Violet Beard of Strapping.  This name is so long that one can only see it when looking at items created to honor fair Yagor.

The above statue was made for Pisano's quarters, she has a thing for Iron and evidently a thing for Yagor.  I'm not sure what the roaches are all about, perhaps Spizhaben likes them?  No I asked her and she hates bats and likes a lot of things including cavies for their adorable call. Memo to myself put a caged cavy in Spizhaben's room if we happen upon one.

Ah, digging into the mystery a bit further the Gemsmith Kib Frostattics, who created the image on the statue, detests large roaches.  But then that is strange that he created an image of them.  One wonders if, perhaps, his advances were scorned by Yagor at one time in the past.

But I digress, we were discussing Yagor.  For a female dwarf to be titled 'Bootman', well that hasn't been done in a very very long time.  Here is all the current info on Yagor.  All of that and she has a paltry modest set of quarters.  She recently was given a cabinet and a coffer to store an extra set of clothing in, but really a legend should have legendary quarters.  Perhaps that will happen...

6th Felsite

Gah the pit of doom has taken another dwarf, or at least severely injured one.  I told them to start back up but only go one level at a time, but somehow Nevyn managed to fall, a sad day indeed.  I think this pit is well named.  I've given up on it, it will claim no more dwarves if I can help it.

A new squad was formed from four of the promising vagrants, but we're short on armor.  For some reason many of hte dwarves in the first squad eschew weapons in favor of their own hands.

10th Felsite

Food, we're actually not really doing that well on food.  I can't find the kitchen anywhere so I did the dwarfy thing and dug out a new area for food stores and a kitchen... close to the dining hall.  There is also a new statue garden that is being populated.. One way to get food is to start a fishing industry.  We're going to dig under ground next to that brook and build a dwarven fishing platform.  If we can ever get enough blocks to build something coherent that is...

The dwarves are not really all that happy right now despite no major tragedies (mining accidents aside).  I think this mostly has to do with the lack of quarters so I'm attempting to fix that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:58:06 pm by Pisano »

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2011, 01:02:29 pm »

18th Felsite, 10

An elven caravan has arrived.

They brought a panda which should fry up real nice.  They also brought a metric dwarved truckload of prickle berries, rat weed and wild strawberries.  I think you can make wine from some of that at least that is what Edzul "Boozy" Tangathurvad tells me.  I thought we had a legendary booze-maker running around somewhere but damn if I can find him right now, he is probably off drunk in a corner somewhere.  We didn't have a lot of stone crafts so we mostly ended up trading away smelly troll undergarments instead, the miasma has already gone down noticeably.

Summer Time!

The fishing platform is under construction.

The crypts have been expanded quite a bit including several tombs for more important dwarves.

6th Hematite, 10

Rimtar Sterusavuz, Tunnelsmith died due to an infection.  Soap construction facilities have been designated, but nobody seems to understand this industry.

In his honor we've slaughtered the elven panda and it will be cooked in a feast honoring the injured and slain of the great tunnelsmith pit of doom accident of 10.

Also, another 20 rooms have been dug out.  We have beds but we need doors, cabinets and coffers for each still. There is still a massive homeless problem.  On the plus side the engravers found time to engrave the entire hospital ^H^H^Hbarracks, maybe the images of The Awe-inspiring Orbs, a local dwarven government, will make them happy.  Or perhaps this fine masterwork rendition known as "The Sensitive Bust"...

11th Hematite, 10

15th Hematite, 10

Panda it's whats for dinner!

6th Malachite, 10

A bone carver was possessed...he grabbed 4 fox bones, a mudstone block, a silver bar, a sard (gem), and a craftdwarf's workshop.

10th Malachite, 10

Some badgers were badgering the wood cutters.  Yagor to the rescue.

12th Malachite, 10

Another 25 rooms have been built, but we still have 40 dwarves without a room.  Oh and 8 more vagrants with one of their vagrant children arrived today.  Not a single one of them knows the right side of a hammer to hold.  Zaneg iteb, our fair dwarven civilization, is just mocking us with this patheticly useless group.

14th Malachite, 10

Another artifact that references an artifact, this time the ruby bed.  And an image of the salt god being worshipped by dwarves.  We do love salted panda meat.

19th Malachite, 10

Crustypeanut was overthrown as Mayor!  One of the useless underclass, Monom Thikutnakas has taken over and is demanding bucklers!

17th Galena, 10

Doctor C. Man passed away.  I'm not sure when it happened, but while inspecting the tombs I saw his stuff all over the place in there and berated the tombsdwarves for not having finished his tomb with some containers.  I really thought he was going to make it.  Gah.

25th Galena, 10

Noodle gave birth to a girl!

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2011, 09:45:33 pm »

21st Limonite

ugh more migrants... they are a pestilence.

In response to the waves of incoming dwarves I present to you... The Great Dwarf Tenement Project!

Two new statue gardens have been built each featuring an artifact weapon (in a weapon trap).  These are the most popular party spots.

Garden 1, just south of the Tenements

Garden 2, just north of the main dining hall.

30th Limonite

The most recent set of rooms in the great tenements ended up being dug out of sand.  This is ugly so we're using blocks to try build walls up one bit at a time.

Our new Mayor is a really into bucklers.  After three mandates to make bucklers he is now forbidding the export of the bucklers.  He also wanted a jail to be constructed.  The first person to speak out against bucklers will find themselves in there.

13th Sandstone

As dwarves we use every part of the Panda

14th Timber

Everyone has a room, well everyone except for the 12 children.   The tenements have been further expanded to 82 rooms. This is on top of other miscellaneous rooms that were also added. Never let it be said that Pisano the Chief mason didn't do his part for the homeless.

The newly expanded Tenements...82 rooms in all.

15th Timber

A vile force of darkness has arrived.

A thump, no two thumps of trolls (gaggle of geese, pod of whales, thump of trolls) could be seen on a high hill.  Eight per thump by my count with at least six squads of goblins.  The first thump made their way to the bridge and was mostly captured by the cage traps.  The one weapon trap out there started chopping off bits of troll but they were not dismayed. Except for this one...

Sadly it got better.

I ordered the marksdwarves to the cunningly designed murder holes only to realize that with the gate closed the murder holes are inaccessible.

20th Timber, 10...

Asno the troll has bashed down the mudstone front door while the rest of her thump remains caged up.  It is really too bad that I didn't notice the issue with our defenses earlier.  I could order the military to sally through the front gate, but I'm afraid they would dodge themselves into the pit of doom.  The pit that has claimed the lives of so many dwarves already.

The trolls soon lost interest.

Winter

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2011, 09:47:56 pm »

Noooo! Now Yagor will never have her ultimate brood of warrior-children! Now she must be really mad. :o
Also, is an artifact fox bone spear worse than a normal iron one...? :P I'm guessing so, not sure how much artifact quality improves a weapon.

Fakeedit: Oh wow, you updated while I was postin'.

Realedit: Coool, we survived a siege. :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:50:36 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2011, 09:51:10 pm »

I don't think the artifact spear makes it any better, nobody picked it up so after a few months I put it into a weapon trap in one of the sculpture gardens.  One of the marksdwarves grabbed the artifact steel crossbow, I think.   And Yagor will always be mad, no matter what.

edit: oh yeah and we're up to 160 dwarves, and only ~20 military... that is a bit lopsided.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25