Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 550763 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2535 on: April 06, 2016, 11:36:37 pm »

try running wine from the game's directory context, or try giving the windows path name of the game executable to wine.  it looks like the context is wrong, so it cant find certain dlls.

eg, something like this in a bash script...

#!/bin/bash
cd "/home/(your_user)/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Civ3"
wine civ3.exe

OR, pass this to wine with your launcher:

wine "C:\Program Files\Civ3\Civ3.exe"

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: April 07, 2016, 01:45:20 am »

Is this the original or the rerelease? The original can probably be run by installing an old Windows inside dosbox.

Alternatively if you're trying the original you could try the rerelease in wine.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: April 07, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »

@gimlet: Renamed the directory to "CivII", nothing changed.
@wierd: Already tried what you suggested; thanks anyway.
@Thief^: Rerelease.

I've successfully run the game in the past, so I think that maybe something I've done since the last time I played screwed it up, but I'm not sure what.

Oh, and just to be safe, I "reinstalled" (i.e. I unzipped the game a second time and tried to run it again) and the same thing happens.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: April 07, 2016, 05:33:26 pm »

try a virgin wine prefix. The prefix you are using currently might be borked.

From the error, it looks like the Civ3 specific DLL is dependent on dplayx.dll, which wine cant find. Dplayx.dll is part of directx from bygone years. (DX7 IIRC.)  If you installed real directx in the prefix with winetricks, this could be the problem. A clean prefix should reveal that.

If you dont want to try a clean prefix, you could try setting dplayx.dll to builtin in winecfg, and see if that fixes it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:37:08 pm by wierd »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: April 07, 2016, 08:29:47 pm »

Trying to run Civ II through Wine, but I'm getting these weird error messages. Any clue what's going on?

[USERNAME]@[COMPUTER NAME]:~/Civilization 2$ wine civ2.exe
err:menubuilder:init_xdg error looking up the desktop directory
err:module:import_dll Library DPLAYX.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\[USERNAME]\\Civilization 2\\XDaemon.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library XDaemon.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\[USERNAME]\\Civilization 2\\civ2.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\[USERNAME]\\Civilization 2\\civ2.exe" failed, status c0000135

I might interject: if you're not using Civ2Gold, it's likely that the version is a 16bit program. I don't know whether Wine can successfully run 3.1 era Windows programs. You may well need to have a computer with a 32 bit VM or something like that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: April 07, 2016, 08:47:19 pm »

IIRC, win32 wine prefixes support wow16, and 64bit ones do not. Many installers from the win95 era are 16bit installshield horrors, even though the applications they install are 32bit. Microsoft kludged around this in win7 and pals with 32bit surrogates, but wine runs the real installer, IIRC.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: April 07, 2016, 08:50:36 pm »

Civ2Gold
It is the Multiplayer Gold Edition.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: April 07, 2016, 08:55:25 pm »

have you tried a clean prefix? You can have more than one wine prefix you know.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2543 on: April 08, 2016, 02:26:49 am »

Anyone proficient with Windows 10 yet? I had to get it on my work computer and I'm having startup problems. It seems it is using "fast startup" - basically hibernating instead of shutting down and restarting. The thing is, I went into the control panel, into the power options, and I DISABLED fast startup. I just triple-checked it - it's turned off. And yet, every time I shut down, it uses fast startup to turn back on. This is a problem because I have to manually open all the programs that normally would come up automatically on startup - and that's a lot of programs. One of those programs is Google Drive, which we use to share all our files in the office. Now and then I forget to start it up and on one occasion I inadvertently worked all day without being synced. When I realized it wasn't on and turned it on, my work for the day was essentially lost, as my coworkers and I had been working on different versions of the files. I know it's possible to work around this, but I shouldn't have to. I have my routine and all I want is for the computer to SHUT DOWN when I click SHUT DOWN and actually turn on with a fresh boot every time.

I tried googling but all I got was a list of sites telling you how to disable fast startup, which I've already done. Any ideas what's going on here or how to fix it?

Thanks guys.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: April 08, 2016, 02:44:21 am »

Fast startup isn't the culprit, it only hibernates after logout and restores to before login, and startup programs are after login.

It's more likely that it just isn't running at startup at all. Check its options, or failing that, reinstall it.

And turn fast startup back on.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2545 on: April 08, 2016, 02:53:51 am »

Nothing is running at startup. And it's starting up differently than before. Before, when I started the computer, it just went straight to the desktop. Now, when I turn it on from a full shutdown, it turns on as though it's waking up from sleep. It shows me a splash screen, then a login screen, before coming to the desktop, and startup doesn't run at all. I'm pretty sure one of my coworkers was going around messing with settings on various computers, something to do with our network acting funny. But I don't know when he's coming back to the office so I can't ask him what the hell he did. All I know for sure is one day it was shutting down and starting up normally, and the next it was doing this.

Basically, it's definitely powering down. I'm clicking "shut down" and watching it turn off. But when I turn it back on, it acts like it's coming back from sleep. If startup has been disabled by someone for some reason, how do I turn it back on?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: April 08, 2016, 03:05:15 am »

open the task manager, check the startup tab.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: April 08, 2016, 03:32:42 am »

I think I would blame your coworker, rather than Windows 10.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2548 on: April 08, 2016, 03:38:43 am »

open the task manager, check the startup tab.

Everything in the startup tab looks normal. All the programs that should run are on the list.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: April 08, 2016, 03:42:50 am »

Antivirus conflict?
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 350