Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1560407 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12105 on: April 24, 2015, 06:38:44 pm »

I think if you made expansion length content, like Falskaar, only getting 25% would seem pretty shitty. Especially when your customers are basically paying Valve and Zenimax to install it through an inferior mod management platform compared to NMM or MO.

Also: I think Skyrim is entirely the wrong type of game to try this with. It's working with TF2 and Dota 2 but those are completely different kinds of games where you get content randomly but can pay to get specific content instead of waiting. That would work in an mmo, but not so much in a singleplayer rpg.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:45:19 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: April 24, 2015, 06:45:36 pm »

Anyone else get the feeling this is to see if this works, for the next Fallout 4 game and Elder Scrolls 6?

I am almost positive the reason they are doing this for Skyrim, is to see if it works for their next games.

Which means, Fallout 4 and ES 6 are almost likely to be the first games from Bethesda I don't bother buying at all and not going to even pirate...I just won't play them.

Hopefully Witcher 3 supports modding if it turns out I'm right. Cause...I'm not paying for mods and I'm not gonna be a sell out and put mods up for sell.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12107 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:06 pm »

Then don't use it.  Nobody's requiring anybody to do anything here.

I see this being another issue that's contentious for a few weeks but nobody will actually have the discipline to vote with their wallets.  By the time the next TES or Fallout game comes out it'll be standard and no one will bat an eye anymore.
Shoes...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12108 on: April 24, 2015, 06:48:43 pm »

This isn't just a Bethesda feature. It's a new Steam feature which is being rolled out on Skyrim before it gets added to other workshop games' workshops. There's a giant banner on Steam saying as much.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12109 on: April 24, 2015, 06:54:43 pm »

I see this being another issue that's contentious for a few weeks but nobody will actually have the discipline to vote with their wallets.  By the time the next TES or Fallout game comes out it'll be standard and no one will bat an eye anymore.
I think the problem is that even if I don't use steam's service, some mods have been pulled from other sites like Nexus in fear of being reposted for profit or other silliness and now I have less mods.

Just a hypothetical. I personally find it all hilarious and don't care one whit

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12110 on: April 24, 2015, 07:16:15 pm »

One day... Just once, maybe... Thousands of pitchforks and torches... In Rockville and Bellevue... Just outside their HQs.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: April 24, 2015, 07:25:27 pm »

This isn't just a Bethesda feature. It's a new Steam feature which is being rolled out on Skyrim before it gets added to other workshop games' workshops. There's a giant banner on Steam saying as much.
So, how long until somebody makes second E.T. and crashes the video game industry?
._.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12112 on: April 24, 2015, 07:26:14 pm »

So, how long until somebody makes second E.T. and crashes the video game industry?
Did you miss the last few years?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12113 on: April 24, 2015, 07:36:50 pm »

Not sure you'd call it crashing...

Actually, has there been a not-bug-addled game release as of late? If I recall, the cause of the crash was over-saturation, incomplete or buggy products, and a slew of games paid for by companies who didn't understand how marketing worked and assumed that games are like TV commercials. Not sure we have the last one down, but the other ones? Maybe.
Elite Dangerous had a pretty smooth launch. Its the first and only multiplayer/online game I've seen where I was able to log in and play without issue on launch day.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: April 24, 2015, 07:41:35 pm »

It's also known to be opt-in by developers and the Cities: Skylines developers have already said that they won't be doing it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12115 on: April 24, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »

Paradox has also spoken out against it and Tripwire has explictly stated in their EULA that you cannot sell mods made for their games in any way.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12116 on: April 24, 2015, 08:47:16 pm »

Paradox knows a huge portion of their demographic subsists on mods. Hell, it's one of their features to make you buy their games, since all their EU and CK2 mods are behind their forum.

Edit:

Article on why one of the mods has been removed.

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/04/skyrims-art-of-the-catch-mod-highlights-major-flaws-in-valves-system

Chesko’s defense in his post is that Valve and Bethesda’s NDA kept him from speaking with anybody (“During this time, we were required to not speak to anyone about this program,”) and that discussions with Valve during this time garnered some unofficial and pretty dubious-looking legal advice. He cites an apparent discussion with a Valve representative, who states the following: “I spoke with our lawyer and having mod A depend on mod B is fine–it doesn’t matter if mod A is for sale and mod B is free, or if mod A is free or mod B is for sale.”

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: April 25, 2015, 05:20:10 am »

Not sure we have the last one down, but the other ones? Maybe.
No, the last one is definitely there. The people high up in game publishers are often brought in from other areas, like marketing but for physical goods, so they know really very little about games.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12118 on: April 25, 2015, 07:02:16 am »

Something I just spotted, welcome to in game pop-up adds for paid versions of mods.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: April 25, 2015, 07:42:48 am »

Something I just spotted, welcome to in game pop-up adds for paid versions of mods.

Holy shit, haha.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 896