Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1560412 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #840 on: November 12, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »

Things I did in Skyrim today...

Seriously, my picture count is 264 so far.

A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 12, 2011, 09:47:46 pm »

Hopefully, hopefully I'll be able to pick up my pre-ordered copy today! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 12, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »

If by RPG you mean a game about statistics then yeah, it is pretty light.  As far as roleplaying goes, its quite nice and miles ahead of Oblivion.

The modding tools will be as robust as they were under Gamebryo.  The engines share a good bit of code and the Creation Kit is allegedly going to be available soon.  If there's one thing Bethesda can be counted on to do right, I think, is that the modding tools will be robust enough that given time, the community can undo the horrific damages against taste and design they've committed.

Besides, Elder Scrolls games have always been on the hacknslash side of the RPG spectrum going back to the very first one, Arena.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:14:42 pm by thepodger »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »

Nenjin :

3 - I found the spells and shouts a net improvement compared to Oblivion and Morrowind. Here you get usable stuff right off the bat, and you can buy new spells pretty fast/cheaply. Perks are not all very useful but they're not bad either. Giving 2 different effects to an item wasnt possible in Oblivion if i recall correctly (and probably not in Morrowind either i think). Overall, perks seem useful enough that i'm wondering what the level cap is, and if i'll be able to get all the perks for my playstyle.

4.WASD is your friend. Why use the arrow keys in this game ? Never had much trouble with that, i'm only kinda pissed at the way items are stored in chests without categories. As was told earlier in this thread, you can map spells/weapons to the key 1 to 8, which reduces the use of the Q menu.

5. That sucks a bit yea. Not sure if there's an improvement for that in the blocking skill tree. So far i've noticed that without blocking perks, my shield is mostly useful as an armor bonus, not so much for blocking anything, so i favor full offense anyway.

6. It might be easier than oblivion... maybe, maybe not, but i find it definitely better balanced. As for the items, i'm almost certain that Skyrim has much more content. The number of armor "slots" is not as low as i thought (i heard there would be full suits of armor in one single piece, but there are still 4 different pieces per armor + shields). I'm still low level but i already found many different versions/upgrades of similar tiers of items, like moonsteel weapons, banded iron armor, ancient nord weapons, skyforge steel ?, upgrades from the crafting skills, etc.., and i noticed that the armors now go above daedric (dragon armor is now the best apparently). Heck you can even get different styles for the same armor.

--

Other than that, a couple remarks :

- For enchantments i like how you need to find an enchanted weapon and reverse engineer the enchantment, the destruction of the item is also a good thing in my opinion - can't have your cake and eat it -. I havent enchanted anything yet but as far as i understand, enchanted stuff don't use charges anymore, not sure how you use souls now, but i'm almost sure you can get the Azura star again (some pilgrim gave me the directions for the Azura shrine). On a side note i also like that your stuff don't need constant repairs anymore, it was a pain in the butt in the previous games.

- The way things level up with you seem greatly improved compared to Oblivion. I kill regular bandits with much more ease now than a couple levels ago, and they don't seem to get better equipment magically, so far. I also ran into a frost troll on my way up to the greybeards, and it was a very tough fight that i had to reload several times.

- The horse AI is a bit weird to say the least. Like when he ran after a wounded wolf and finished him off after a 50 meters chase. Or when he bravely faced a flippin dragon (and didnt even die). Or when i leave him someplace, go attack a bandit camp and he rushes to my help. And there's the fact that people attack your horse after you dismount. Oh and wild dragons act weird too. Like sometimes they seem bent on killing every life form on the ground (except humans ?) and there was also a time where i couldn't get this dragon to pay attention to me. I kid you not, i spent 1/2 hour running after it, spamming arrows at it, shouting at it, using spells at it, but it was always out of reach and too fast to aim at with a bow. He just kept flying all over the place without attacking me or anything else. Overall, outside of scripted sequences, the NPCs behavior is completely off.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 12, 2011, 10:30:25 pm »

Oh and wild dragons act weird too. Like sometimes they seem bent on killing every life form on the ground (except humans ?) and there was also a time where i couldn't get this dragon to pay attention to me. I kid you not, i spent 1/2 hour running after it, spamming arrows at it, shouting at it, using spells at it, but it was always out of reach and too fast to aim at with a bow. He just kept flying all over the place without attacking me or anything else.

This is very true, and pretty realistic - why should a mighty dragon chew on a bony little human, coated in metal, when it can chew on some plump helmets cows, goats and other such goodies? You'll notice the Dragons *will* attack groups of humans, though, or if there's nothing better nearby.

Admittantly, not that the dragons eat anything. They just turn everything to ash.

Also how you described it is worthy of a comic strip. The hero of the land, bravely fighting dragons to save the land. He's chasing after it, arrows crudely in one hand, bow in the other, chasing after a dragon, shouting, whilst the beast turns all else to a cinder. Hurr.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 12, 2011, 10:50:29 pm »

Anyone have an idea if hand-to-hand attacks are feasible in this game? I've seen only one perk that looks like it's guarenteed to help, 'Fists of Steel' from the heavy armor catagory. Does anything else add it throwing punches?

I'd assume blocking would be aided by shield wall and a few others if they didn't seem so heavy focused on shields...

And one handed might have effects for hand to hand?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 12, 2011, 10:51:01 pm »

Dear Sabercats,

Hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate.

Sincerly,
Timferius

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #847 on: November 12, 2011, 11:19:04 pm »

Just had a badass mage duel with a lich. Slinging fire and lightning back and forth, ducking behind cover, throwing up last-minute wards to deflect ice bolts, getting a few hits in with my enchanted skysteel sword. I won eventually, but damn it was tense.

Everything I'm wearing was crafted and enchanted by me, which is neat.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #848 on: November 12, 2011, 11:29:10 pm »

I've been very impressed, so far.

The load times on my computer are amazing, and my computer is only modestly good. The NPCs almost seem like real people, I haven't heard the same voice over and over, yet, just some people repeating the same phrase they said a while go. They really did a good job in having interesting things going on wherever you go, as far as I've seen.

I'm disappointed with dual-wielding weapons. It doesn't seem like there's really a point in doing it besides the cool factor. The lack of skills and the tedium of spending perks for things that were available for free (Or with a certain skill level) in Oblivion is tedious, especially since most of the stuff is fairly useless. (Really? A stealthy roll? Does this look like Deus Ex?) I feel odd without the acrobatics and athletics skill, and removing statistics altogether was... an interesting decision. I wanted an unarmored skill again, so I could run around looking cool instead of like a goofy, shiny guy, but I guess I'll have to wait on that one, too. (Also: Give me a dagger skill. It deserves its own skill tree.)

Other than those things, I'm enjoying the game.

I'm mad, too, because I've only had 12 hours to play, and I have homework due tomorrow.

...Is it possible to sue Bethesda for making me fail my classes?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 12, 2011, 11:57:21 pm »

Spoiler: dealwithit.jpeg (click to show/hide)

I'm actually quite impressed by how much the AI's been improved - try summoning an atronach to see what I mean. I've seen them back away specifically from enemies using the opposite element, and enemies using the same element won't bother casting as the atronach's obviously going to be immune (this even applies to dragons, which has some amusing implications). I've seen archers duck behind cover between shots and suspicious enemies systematically check rooms (with an arrow/spell readied in a sensible direction if applicable). The AI nearly stands up to that of other games from several years ago! It's amazing.

I've noticed a lot of scaling in shop inventories (Orcish and Dwemer stuff just showing up out of the blue), but everything's putting up a decent fight without being thematically inane, as it was in Oblivion (scamp legionnaires, etc.). Makes you wonder how much of this is illusion. As soon as the CS is released, I'll have to take a look at the mechanics and see how things are set up...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 13, 2011, 12:05:03 am »

I dunno.... maybe it was the difficulty setting, but I've seen guys get shot, look around a little, not see who shot them, shrug, and go back to their business.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 13, 2011, 12:59:31 am »

Perks are not all very useful but they're not bad either. Giving 2 different effects to an item wasnt possible in Oblivion if i recall correctly (and probably not in Morrowind either i think). Overall, perks seem useful enough that i'm wondering what the level cap is, and if i'll be able to get all the perks for my playstyle.

It's not an issue of their usefulness. They're just not interesting. They could easily have made them equal of FO3's perks, but they manage to be even more general. I think the most interesting one I saw was high in the sneak tree, where crouching can confuse enemies. Not much else to talk about. +50% to something. It's just uninspired.

Put another way. 1/2 of the Lockpick Tree is taken up by perks that make lock picking easier. With a skill of 20, I've already went through......about 6 expert locks without having to reload my save once. So not only are the perks not interesting...in that specific case, they're not useful either. If I had Unbreakable now I could not worry about it ever again.

Of course it's always been the case with Beth games that they give you stuff a halfway prepared player didn't need in the first place.

WASD is your friend.

Telling me to learn WASD to excuse their shit job of porting it to the PC isn't much of a response. The game can't decide half the time between menus whether it's going to accept a rebound key or only a default key.

Besides, Elder Scrolls games have always been on the hacknslash side of the RPG spectrum going back to the very first one, Arena.

Can't deny this one. Just kinda wish there was more to sink my teeth into on the character side of things. It's almost like Skyrim treats numbers and information and details as distractions from the running around and looking at stuff.

It's just exceptional light in areas I didn't expect it to be. Enchanting was something I got done in the first 20 minutes of running around, already sporting two enchanted weapons. They still have charges, and they still can get refilled by soul gems. I'm not sure if they gradually refill themselves because I've whacked a ton of stuff with them already and they've yet to deplete all the way. Or maybe the proc rate is just inconsistent. Anyways while it's not much less than Oblivion or Morrowind, its more constricted. And there's just not a lot of mystery to it.

Definitely looking forward to some rebalancing and survival-type mods. (And a blocking mod >.>) The food in this game needs the same treatment that both FO3 and FO:NV received.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:13:40 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 13, 2011, 01:43:17 am »

Best shout so far? Ice Form. It encases enemies in a block of ice :U!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 13, 2011, 02:00:32 am »

well now I'm angry.  Tried for 2 hours to get the stupid
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still won't work properly, and breaks everyone's speeches so I cant talk to anyone from the event if I just use setscene.

Deleted save, starting over... :(
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 13, 2011, 02:07:15 am »

Man, being a Companion is just too great.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 896