Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1561036 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9810 on: January 03, 2014, 03:49:51 pm »

Here's an example.. I'm playing with the zero-skill character I'm writing up.  The first enemy in the game that required a more complicated strategy than 'punch' was a named dragon priest.  It required one low level and one middle-low level item to beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPLbFxdtLg

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: January 03, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »

I've found that in TES games you have to grind a few skills up and get some gear, mostly by stealing from people in town, before you can actually do anything. Same in Skyrim?

Quite the opposite.  Although less heavily levelled than in Oblivion, no quests in Skyrim will ever ask you to do anything more complicated than 'push x to succeed.'  There are a few highish level enemies, and giants and dragons are a bit tricky, but the game is not very challenging.

Except when jumped by bears/sabrecats/frost trolls/dragons at low-levels or aptly named Draugr Deathlords at any level.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: January 03, 2014, 03:52:28 pm »

If you slam through a single combat perk tree, you'll find the game is far too easy by level 10.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: January 03, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »

Except when jumped by bears/sabrecats/frost trolls/dragons at low-levels or aptly named Draugr Deathlords at any level.

That's helped by the fact that without any 'speed' statistic you can outrun anyone and anything.  I think I had a video of the deathlord in that same dungeon, too..  just a minute.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: January 03, 2014, 03:55:35 pm »

What about on Master or Legendary difficulty? I only play on Apprentice so far, because I tend to like utterly destroying my foes (although, with my lack of skill in most things, some builds can die due to stupid mistakes. Like fire, sword and a shirt vs. Punchcat).

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: January 03, 2014, 03:58:06 pm »

There's a limit to the amount of credit I'm willing to give to a 'fake difficulty' slider that simply multiplies damage dealt and taken.  Sure, it's more challenging, but it doesn't really add gameplay.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: January 03, 2014, 03:59:15 pm »

If you slam through a single combat perk tree, you'll find the game is far too easy by level 10.

Yes, but those first few levels can be a bit harrowing, especially if you don't use stealth. And especially on a first playthrough. Once you figure out that the Forsworn have unusually valuable equipment, though...

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: January 03, 2014, 04:03:55 pm »

To be fair there are some rough situations for that character.  The oversized Charus under that one dungeon were absolutely brutal, as scaling it up made it hit anything within about 30 meters of it's front end, as well as about the only creature in the entire game that can outrun you, and any creature with a beam spell was a serious challenge, due to the difficulty of dodging beams.

Oh, and enemies with two-handed warhammers, because their combat animations have no relation to reality.

That said, where I might have spent ten or twenty minutes dealing with a very rough fight, I've spent hours trying to juggle bugs into producing bizarre situations.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:13:09 pm by Devastator »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: January 03, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »

Also, that goddamn leap that sabrecats have. It can close the distance. When not relying on sprinting, trolls can catch up, too.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:20 pm »

Yeah, forgot about those ice trolls.  Still, not really challenging.  The first enemy fought after Helgen was one of those ice ghost thingies with the two summons, which was much, much, more difficult than anything else.

But really, though, twenty minutes for a hard fight, two hours setting up a quest to do this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, that's the dead body of the informant whom I've never met in the room.  Yes, that's the corrupt guard set in 'force conversation' mode, but still with his conversation trigger set on 'make introduction' rather than 'confront PC and send him to jail.'  And yes, there's a bunch of guys charging in behind me attacking with axes and spells.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:30:49 pm by Devastator »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: January 03, 2014, 04:36:43 pm »

Steam has never wronged me. Yes, it is a DRM thing, but it doesn't make things worse, it makes then better.
If you want to miss good games because of some "da corporationz r da evul!!!" sentiment, that's your choice and loss.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: January 03, 2014, 04:55:20 pm »

Thankfully for all of us, you can easily mod the game to be significantly more challenging.

I kinda enjoy how difficult mine is. Bears, witches, wizards, etc. all give me pause while shitty things like wolves, spiders, and bandits are complete cakewalks.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9822 on: January 03, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »

Eh steam can be switched to offline mode, games still available. But some games are douchebags and require their own DRM even with steam. Fuckers.

Mods ftw, default skyrim is pretty easy, and bland.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: January 03, 2014, 05:34:43 pm »

Do they make it more challenging, or do they just add more stuff with undodgeable beam attacks and bigger numbers?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: January 03, 2014, 05:40:05 pm »

ANYTHING
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 896