Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1599203 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #990 on: November 14, 2011, 10:16:03 am »

I suppose that the kind of things you have to look past until someone develops procedural voice work that doesn't sound like Microsoft Sam.

I just wish everyone would stop telling me how pale I look before every conversation...
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 14, 2011, 10:19:34 am »

the new fallout where you are the last survivor in a country of robots could use that  :-X

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50:09 am »

Could someone share his way of gaining fast cash?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #993 on: November 14, 2011, 10:51:09 am »

Holy crap the summon you get during the dark brotherhood line is awesome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nonspoiler: Save every fucking mask you get and do not sell them. The full face masks which have a name and odd powers. Trust me.
Fuck.

Probably too late for buyback, and he's probably selling it for so much money the Emperor would have to take out a loan even if he was.   I mean comon, it didn't LOOK important.  There was a dragon sitting on his coffin for frig's sake, that makes you unimportant.
Probably too late if its been a while. Look below if you want to see why you need them.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 14, 2011, 10:53:14 am »

Sigh, fucking oblivion difficulty bullshit...

Pickpocket skill near 80 from pickpocketing around towns forever = Default enemies so overpowered they can kill dragons one on one.

Seriously, I had a randrom bandit after me and ran away (they violate my 30 one handed skill) and into a dragon  -  dragon attacks him, the bandit-something kills the dragon and I can barly(!) finish him off.

... I actually had to reduce the difficulty to one under default. Fuck you game D:<

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #995 on: November 14, 2011, 10:56:30 am »

Yeah I'm not sure I like the fact that my high alchemy and smithing skill makes the game harder. Then again I guess they mean I can make awesome potions and armor/weapons which I guess should compensate.

And I do make some amazing potions now... I love the alchemy system.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 14, 2011, 10:57:38 am »

I was wondering when the leveling curve starts to become a problem. I'm lvl 15 and my highest skill is 43 I think and yeah....I've noticed I have to cut on guys barely wearing any armor A LOT to kill them. Meanwhile my companion can drop most anything with their 2-handed weapon in 3 hits or less.

And there's like...at least 9 quests involving the Thieves Guild. I'm impressed. I don't necessary like playing the equivalent of a mafia thug in my medieval RPGs....but it's pretty neat how, once you get past that, there's this whole organizational setup. Way more elaborate than Oblivion's Thieves Guild, which was kind of a disappointment. And everyone's got a personality, the kind of treatment the Dark Brotherhood quests got in Oblivion. Me likey.

Depends on how much you need. Generally, people leave coin pouches EVERYWHERE in the game world. Every house you visit has probably between 10 and 20 gold just laying around out in the open. Another 20 probably scattered around in containers. Iron or better breastplates and shields sell for between 20 or 30 I think without any real skill in Speech, so I always collect them when I find them. You seem to have an insane weight capacity in game since there's no stats, and a companion can be loaded up with tons of heavy crap. It all sells and its everywhere. When you pick up anything worth more than 60 gold pre-vendor, it adds up. Not as much as it has in previous ES games, but I made the ~6250 you need to buy a house in Whiterun and outfit it pretty easily.

You can also try mining ore, but you might have to refine it first to get as much out of it as possible, which requires finding a smelter.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:07:43 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #997 on: November 14, 2011, 11:02:18 am »

So far its not a huge problem with me because I've been working my destruction skill heavily as well. I can cast a shit load of firebolts and fireballs (or ice/lightning if its a fire resistant enemy) now due to the half mana perks and other various skills. I have something like 320 magicka due to leveling and gear that I've made myself and enchanted.

My biggest problem is that there are too many cool things to do so I end up splitting skills between forging, enchanting, alchemy, destruction, conjuration, one handed weapons, and light armor which means none of them are really high. My lowest is light armor at like 23 because I rarely actually get hit due to my conjurations. My highest is forging at 55 and destruction at 58.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 14, 2011, 11:15:04 am »

I have the same problem. I have this really cool mask which I just have to wear. Too bad it is heavy armor, making me increase that skill. It also makes illusion, alteration and conjuration cost 20% less mana. Which is completely useless as I don't cast any spells :S

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 14, 2011, 11:19:50 am »

Sigh, fucking oblivion difficulty bullshit...

Pickpocket skill near 80 from pickpocketing around towns forever = Default enemies so overpowered they can kill dragons one on one.

Seriously, I had a randrom bandit after me and ran away (they violate my 30 one handed skill) and into a dragon  -  dragon attacks him, the bandit-something kills the dragon and I can barly(!) finish him off.

... I actually had to reduce the difficulty to one under default. Fuck you game D:<

is that true? same leveling crap? I was under the illusion that this time they did better.

I'll wait more confirmations about this...

morrowind rant:

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1000 on: November 14, 2011, 11:22:53 am »

It is true in the sense that I am encountering stronger things as I level up, but not EVERYTHING scales with you. I find plenty of the same shitty skeletons and zombies an dhurgr or whatever they're called when I raid a tomb, but here and there are one or two more powerful once which actually tax my magicka reserves (read: "don't go down in a single shot"). I truly do a shitload of damage when I hurl a dual-cast fireball at something though now that I know how to make potions of fortify destruction and have all the fire perks plus dualcast and staggering.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1001 on: November 14, 2011, 11:25:53 am »

Has anyone found a more advanced version of the basic "flames" spell? I'm like level 11 and it's still the best way to take out most things (other than the occasional arrow, or sparks to take out neck romancers.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 14, 2011, 11:27:16 am »

Has anyone found a more advanced version of the basic "flames" spell? I'm like level 11 and it's still the best way to take out most things (other than the occasional arrow, or sparks to take out neck romancers.
Sure its called firebolt :P

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 14, 2011, 11:31:32 am »

Depends on how much you need. Generally, people leave coin pouches EVERYWHERE in the game world. Every house you visit has probably between 10 and 20 gold just laying around out in the open. Another 20 probably scattered around in containers. Iron or better breastplates and shields sell for between 20 or 30 I think without any real skill in Speech, so I always collect them when I find them. You seem to have an insane weight capacity in game since there's no stats, and a companion can be loaded up with tons of heavy crap. It all sells and its everywhere. When you pick up anything worth more than 60 gold pre-vendor, it adds up. Not as much as it has in previous ES games, but I made the ~6250 you need to buy a house in Whiterun and outfit it pretty easily.

You can also try mining ore, but you might have to refine it first to get as much out of it as possible, which requires finding a smelter.

Actually, sir, I've finished thieves guild, civil war and main quest, so I think more cash would be much more appropriate. I wish thieves guild random quests got higher rewards when you get higher in the guild or a higher level... 200 septims is not what I call a good pay.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 14, 2011, 11:34:04 am »

Do you no longer need black soul gems to capture humanoid souls? I accidentally hit a Felmer with my Soul bow instead of my normal one and now I have his soul.
There seems to be a lot more soul gems in Skyrim than there were in Morrowind and Oblivion combined.. I have a few dozen of them just from raiding a Dwemer fort, including five filled Grand gems.

edit: also, I posted this in the same second as you Domenique :P. Was kinda weird to see my post not being the latest one.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 896