Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Screenshot Thread  (Read 4047 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Screenshot Thread
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:29:35 am »

I made this thread because i thought it would be fun to see what other people are doing and how they like to play. Im aware of mkv25 site, but it takes some effort to use, and you wouldn't post a map there just to show that camel head that flew 20 tiles.
I'm also aware of the old screenshot thread but i didn't manage to find it.

Here's my Rawbeer the microcline fortress that hurt my eyes so I abandoned it. http://postimage.org/image/2deiylgh0/

And here my latest fort on which i tried new design http://postimage.org/image/119bnum6c/

Here I was having an accident http://postimage.org/image/1d3n16nr8/

Yet another fort http://postimage.org/image/25p6quuis/
I didn't build those walls to seal enemies out, but to lock them in

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:27:18 pm by dwarfhoplite »

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshots!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:36:28 am »

I like your designs. I find it very hard to break away from my 'default' layout.

I'll edit in some screenshots when I find them.

EDIT: Found some of my fortresses which I enjoyed running. Excuse the stonesense spam, but I really only design my forts to look good for it. I can't live with myself unless every room is 2z-levels high, otherwise my dwarves might bump their heads.

fort one:
You may notice my naming scheme: profession name followed by "orr" for males or "err" for females. e.g. Masonorr, Gladiatorr, Cheesemakerr. It's easy to keep track of individuals and professions that way. Oh, and the giant hole in the roof is a skylight over the center, to ward off cave adaptation. A pull of a level could seal it with bridges if the goblins ever brought elk bird with them.

Spoiler: exterior (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: interior (click to show/hide)

This fort had a very epic end, involving a giant goblin siege building a bridge of bodies over my traps and the horde getting inside. The dwarves pulled the kill switch and the magma began pumping through the many floodgates. It was glorious.

fort two:
This was one of my 'weekend forts', a fort that only survives a weekend then dies by being burried by real life responsibilities and work. I had only just started experimenting with traps at this point, and had not tested dodge-me pits yet.

Spoiler: exterior walls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: interior work area (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: interior living area (click to show/hide)

I think I gave it to the clowns.

fort three:
This was a fun one, going for a sort of above-ground challenge with a theme.

Spoiler: longhouses (click to show/hide)

This fort died to a mix of goblins and client crashes, unfortunately. I really need to try and resurrect it one day.

I wish I'd taken more screenshots, as my seaside fortress was quite awesome. I'll take a few pics of my current fortresses tomorrow, as they are reasonably interesting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:20:53 am by Rushmik »

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:04 am »

Engraved on the forums is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves by Berserkenstein.  The dwarves are laboring.  The artwork relates to the foundation of Wintergates by The Curious Hammers of The Bulbous Silvers in the early spring of 123.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fortress exterior.  Archery range and barracks for exterior patrol dwarfs.  Mass pit leads to marksdwarf execution area.

Sublevel one has farms (above ground and underground crops), kennel, refuse pile, alpaca and llama pasture, mills, and marksdwarf execution pit.

Sublevel two has LAVISH dining room, barracks and food and drink storage.  When I say lavish, EVERYTHING has gems embedded, the windows, doors, porcelain statues, tables, chairs and bed. Dug out of flux and engraved.

Sublevel three has trade depot and finished goods storage.

Sublevel four is resource storage for the main crafts area directly below.

Sublevel five houses craft workshops, butchers, tanners etc...

Sublevel six is the main housing area with peasant, mayor, noble rooms and hospital.  There is a small dining area, kitchen, brewery and furniture storage.  Pop cap is 100, 80 bedrooms, 1 noble room, 1 mayor room.  Useful dwarves got assigned rooms, the rest was first come first serve so the chumps sleep in the hospital or barracks.

Sublevel... really far down?  Storage area for flux, metal bars and coke, and kaolinite for porcelain, directly above magma forges, smelters, kilns etc...

Sublevel... really far down +1.  Magma forges, smelters, kilns etc... Access tunnel on the bottom left leads to cavern level three where I have hunters and militia kill local wildlife.

Sublevel... really far down +2.  Magma channels that provide magma for the magma workshops.

I use ramps to connect z-levels, every level except the magma level is directly accessible from a central ramp area to save walking distance.

I increased [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:] and [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:] in world gen so I didn't have to worry about caverns popping up in the middle of digging out my fort.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:27:12 am »

@ Bushmik.
I remember seeing your 3rd fort earlier somewhere. gotta love those longhouses

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:34:06 am »

One of my soldiers made an admirable swinghttp://postimage.org/image/9x3yu0ro/

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 12:12:46 pm »

Ok - I've always looked to share my megafortress designs (387 dwarves):

This is the entrance to my fortress - it used to be just a ramp but I built a tower enclosing it... there is a statue garden there - complete with 2 statues from bronze colossi that have attacked.
Spoiler: Entrance - Large (click to show/hide)

My tower, built late in fortress development, is for pure entertainment, with a zoo, a aquarium, and a prison for invaders.
Spoiler: Level 1 - Zoo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Level 2 - Acquarium (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Level 3 - Prison (click to show/hide)

This is right under the entrance - everything's made of billon in there:
Spoiler: Trade Hall (click to show/hide)

This is my main fortress level, with dorms, dining hall, and barracks. (See the engraving art in the barracks?) :)
Spoiler: Main Hall - LARGE (click to show/hide)

These are my catacombs - there's only 1 dwarf in there, the rest are pets that have unfortunately died:
Spoiler: Catacombs (click to show/hide)

This is my workbench area - those up stairs lead to buffer stockpiles right above the shop, so the crafter only has to walk 5 steps to get his material.
Spoiler: Crafting (click to show/hide)

Here are my favorite parts: My 2 death-halls for catching forgotten beasts, and my drowning traps:
Spoiler: FB trap (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:51:51 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 10:34:15 pm »

Engraved on the forums is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves by Berserkenstein.  The dwarves are laboring.  The artwork relates to the foundation of Wintergates by The Curious Hammers of The Bulbous Silvers in the early spring of 123.

The fortress exterior.  Archery range and barracks for exterior patrol dwarfs.  Mass pit leads to marksdwarf execution area.

Sublevel one has farms (above ground and underground crops), kennel, refuse pile, alpaca and llama pasture, mills, and marksdwarf execution pit.

Sublevel two has LAVISH dining room, barracks and food and drink storage.  When I say lavish, EVERYTHING has gems embedded, the windows, doors, porcelain statues, tables, chairs and bed. Dug out of flux and engraved.

Sublevel three has trade depot and finished goods storage.

Sublevel six is the main housing area with peasant, mayor, noble rooms and hospital.  There is a small dining area, kitchen, brewery and furniture storage.  Pop cap is 100, 80 bedrooms, 1 noble room, 1 mayor room.  Useful dwarves got assigned rooms, the rest was first come first serve so the chumps sleep in the hospital or barracks.

Sublevel... really far down?  Storage area for flux, metal bars and coke, and kaolinite for porcelain, directly above magma forges, smelters, kilns etc...

Sublevel... really far down +1.  Magma forges, smelters, kilns etc... Access tunnel on the bottom left leads to cavern level three where I have hunters and militia kill local wildlife.

Sublevel... really far down +2.  Magma channels that provide magma for the magma workshops.

I use ramps to connect z-levels, every level except the magma level is directly accessible from a central ramp area to save walking distance.

I increased [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:] and [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:] in world gen so I didn't have to worry about caverns popping up in the middle of digging out my fort.

Stealing that farm design. Why didn't I think of that?!?

Fire_fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 12:05:46 am »

Mountainhome Tathtatezum, "Plungehames" 4385 Later Summer
Founded in 4377 by The Mirrors of Organization of The Windy Wheels

This is the entrance to my old fort that I don't play on anymore it was more just to test out a military system and it just won't die because the dwarves won't let the goblins in. I usually do the fighting in the hall but the goblins run out and the dwarves follow them outside. It has the main barracks where the military dwaves train (no duh) and on the other side is the hospital and where I keep all the animals/invaders I catch. I have added more cage traps to the front of my fort so I can have fun with the invaders.

This is the area above the main entrance for archers to train (aka do nothing). It is not done yet and it will never really be done because I don't play on this map anymore. I was trying to make an area for them to shoot but it never got done.

This is my farming level it was pretty much the first thing I built in my fort and it has never changed. It really only grows plumps for wine because I never really saw the point to other plants. The area in stone was just a place to mine out and then to train the stone smoothers I set it to be all soothed down.

Stock piles and some road section inside made of gold I had laying around to bring the road value up.

This is my first dinning room in the fort I made another one to relive the traffic in the room. It has a food stock pile with my lovely rock pots. So rocky and cheep.

This is the rooms level there are two of them and they are exactly the same so you only get to see one!

This is the dormitory level where all the dwarves go that I didn't want to dig rooms out for go! Because I am lazy and they are my pawns.

This is the rooms for my nobles. All the engraved rooms are royal for my mayor and captain of the guard. (I only have a mayor because when the liaison came to talk about someone becoming the baron they died to it never went through and the area that my captain of the guard is in was for a king that never came because the mountain home that I came from had no king so I was fucked over) There are two other offices for my manager and book keeper. This is also the entrance to the first cavern layer that I have closed because nothing useful spawns there.

This is my second dinning room that I made to look more bad ass and to take some of the strain off the first dinning room. It was dug into the second cavern layer.

This is in my oppinion the most intersing part of my fort. It is the entrance to the second cavern layer. It has my food stock pile and all my kitchens/breweries. Next the that is the second barracks that I dug out for 3 legendary warriors that came when my king arrived (and he never did). And then there are my soap, leather, and textiles workshops. And next to the textiles workshop is my giant cave spider silk farm that took forever to set up.

And then at the bottom of my fort are the lava forages that are built over a magma pipe they are in the third cavern layer and the layer where nothing at all spawns.

This fort is far from finished. Someday I may finish it.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:28 am »

Neat stuff - I particularly like levels 4 and 5 and I think I might have to try something like that.  I also noticed the huge finished good stockpile around the trade depot, which is also a good idea.  I always wind up overflowing the first one (or even two) I designate.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:40:37 pm »

Entrance level. This is a modified version of my normal entrance. Normally my 3 bridges are one after another with no gaps. The point here is to trap as many gobbos as I can with the rear gate, as opposed to my normal approach of picking fights outside. The large open area is obviously for fighting. The ramps lead to an alternate entrance useful for getting places quickly and accepting caravans.
Second level is assorted large stockpiles, farms, refuse pile(open to the outside to allow stuff to rot away). There's a danger room there, however I've never actually used it. Oh and an atom smasher to get rid of crap.
Stockpiles belonging to my workshops.
Workshops, design stolen straight from Berserkenstein. I usually use a flat design with my industries grouped together around a central stockpile area. I think I'll return to my old design. I like this concept, however it's extremely hard to design and expand. I feel like I always need to expand in groups, and when you really just need one more workshop, I have a hard time figuring out what else to add. I also find I like to use stockpile chains to have stockpiles filled to the brim near whatever needs it.
Meeting area that's got a path running all the way up to the surface to avoid cave adaption. Its floored over for protection, however I plan to add a mist generator a level above. Hence the double flooring layer if you pay attention. It's got an unfinished dining room, although it's functional enough. Extremely large booze stockpile that obviously needs refilled. Noble quarters, so far still unfinished. Mayor doesn't seem to care enough to tantrum. Until he starts I might leave it unfinished. And my hospital, nicely stocked with everything except soap, which I haven't made due to not being able to get lye out of a water filled bucket. Oh right, and the top of my graveyard.
First level of my housing. I give all dwarves a bed, a cabinet, and a chest(coffer actually). Also visible is the path of water to my well. Engraved as training. And what's left of my pumpstack. I only needed to fill the channel to power my forges, so after that I disassembled my pumps and salvaged the copper and blocks. The rest of the graveyard is visible from here.
Final level of my fort is the rest of my housing. It's unfinished, like some other stuff in the fort. Engraved completely, I'm just too lazy to put in beds so far. I did the last four brackets of rooms after I did the pumpstack, so one of the p-ways needed to loop around it. Ooops.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:42:41 pm by Psychobones »

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How To Drop 270.000 blocks
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 05:37:58 am »

Just want to show the result of an experiment in dropping about 270.000 (86x86x36) blocks. Most of them were constructed (cheated via dfliquids/dftiletypes) and therefore just disappeared in a single frame (which took my i5 processor about 2h)

This is a picture, how the big hole in the ground looks in 3d (via ogreseer)

Originally the aim was to build a skyscraper in df which is impossible by default because of the only 10 (or so) z-level above ground rule. Will see how I continue.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 06:10:53 am »

Aerval, if you're up for a new embark, you can allow for skyscrapers by either embarking on terrain with a high elevation variance (tab to the Cliff indicator on the embark selection screen, look for 8s, 9s, & asterisks (at least that's what I get using Phoebus) [my rule of thumb is that a number seems to indicate the number of z-levels between the highest point in the region tile & the lowest in a adjacent one].

Alternately, edit your advanced world gen params so that "[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]" has a value 3(IIRC) higher than the level you want to build your roof at...

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:26 am »

Second sounds interesting. First won't make it as I wanted to have nothing around and would have to drop all the mountains around.
Still I'll stay with my embark cause it allows to design my fortress with dfliqiuds instead of building it wall by wall (I am a bit lazy for that)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:19 am »

The first few forts were flat ones with entrances going horizontally into the mountain and lines of traps. I've since moved to a central staircase model which makes everything more accessible. The following shots are sorted by Z-level.

An outside shot. The tower is mostly empty still.

This is the ground floor. The central statue is what's left of a bronze colossus.

The work area. Nothing special here.

This is all the stuff the fort has, minus war gear which is stored further down behind the barracks. The big blob on the left is metal bars.

Dining Hall. THERE IS A TABLE MISSING. I noticed it just now.

First living quarters. A few special pieces of furniture spread around to those habitually moody dwarves. Those are mostly soldiers, so it's important to keep them happy. You'll see why soon.

More of the same.

Hospital in the centre, catacombs all around. No, those aren't all occupied.

Barracks, prison and war stockpiles. This is the reason why I don't wanna piss off the military.

Deja-vu.

This was going to be an underground basin. I never got around to finishing it.

Many levels further down, this is where the central staircase ends and things get a little more risky. You have to exit here to access the only well that the fortress has.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 09:43:07 am »

http://postimage.org/image/be6kqusk/ This fortress was called Dancebusts. I got bored so i quit it
Pages: [1] 2