Poll

Place

Hol-
- 0 (0%)
-Dep(p)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Western Roman Invasion : "Attila the Douche" (End)  (Read 26826 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: "Again with the Romans?!" : Western Roman Invasion (VH/VH, Part 3)
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:27 am »

I  dunno about unkeepable, you have two turn to fix the place up.  There was 30 unrest, which hopefully you could quash two thirds of before the rebellion.  You can convert for another 20 happiness.  Build a church for another 5.  Move the capitol to a central location for another 10.  Fill your recruitment space with peasants to reduce the population enough to reduce squalor by 5.  Hire two mercenaries to police for another 5.  That should get you up to a blue faced 65, assuming you weren't actually negative.  If you were negative... well that would require getting a little creative.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 10:08:42 am »

We were negative, blue face is starting at 75, and moving capital is not an option! We're the Roman Empire!

I guess it would be possible - maybe - to fix Carthago Nova in the two rounds, but with the rebel army standing just outside we would get sieged. I don't like taking such risks.

Still : Good thinking. Are the mercenaries worth anything though? Seeing as we had a thousand people garrisoned already.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 10:30:36 am »

IIRC it's 5 points of martial law for every two units.  Mercenaries aren't all that expensive, so after the first few turns, they let you do quite a bit of emergency policing.  I find extermination... distasteful so I use that tactic extensively.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 10:53:47 am »

I find extermination... distasteful so I use that tactic extensively.

And thus a poll has been added.  ;) (personally i'd vote for "B")

As i've said, open to suggestions! Don't be shy viewers! AHOY!
If you have any crippling, ball-breaking suggestions : Speak up! After Spain we are ready for everything. (and will most likely die horribly, for your amusement)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:00:22 am by Stworca »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:04 am »

I suggest that for the next playthrough you bump the difficulty down to M/M and do a communist paradise run.  Armies of peasants only!  No religious opiates for the masses!  No bourgeois traders!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:27 am »

I suggest that for the next playthrough you bump the difficulty down to M/M and do a communist paradise run.  Armies of peasants only!  No religious opiates for the masses!  No bourgeois traitors!

Fixed. This would be good... perhaps I'll try it in an LP, I've played with only city units in medieval 2.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: "Again with the Romans?!" : Western Roman Invasion (VH/VH, Part 4)
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 07:06:18 pm »

Spoiler: Interrupted (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »

Did they just retake their own homeland?  :o
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 11:00:15 pm »

Nice one Stworca, you find a way to destroy your enemy's greatest weapon. 

On a tactical note, can you tell us what you usually do in a battle?  From the looks of it, you prefer to wait and set a flank and encirclement trap, rather than rushing your enemies. 

Oh, and how will you deal with the huns?  The same way you dealt with the Franks? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 05:00:30 am »

We will deal with Huns the same way we've dealt with Egyptians, Romans, Gaul, Greeks, Seleucid, Parthans, Pontus and everybody else in our previous LP's. A series of crushing victories that will make Attila the Hun look like Attila the Douche. We will school them on battles. We will waltz over their pathetic stacks with absolutely no effort, as They will be only a slight bump on our road. We will erase any mention of Huns from the history books. We will use the word "Huns" as a Roman battlefield oxymoron-joke, that when translated to English looks like this : "The Brave French"

DOES THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?!  ;)

As to your other question : We didn't have any battles yet. There was no foe as of yet that has put up a fight worthy of using advanced tactics. If not for their damn generals being so buff and unbreakable, our enemies wouldn't even be worthy of a screenshot.
Still.. i have explained some of the battle tactics. Mostly the ones regarding attacking cities (as this is the only thing we've been doing till now)
In field battles i simply utilize the fact that all Roman soldiers can throw javelins. But once again, there were no battles in this LP just yet. No alpine ambushing of Julii, No "Snowlake in Vulcan's Forge" against Greeks, No 3,5 thousand Seleucid, No Uphill.. Not a single battle. This will change quite soon i presume, but there you have it.

The AI does seem a bit "brighter" on the battlefield, but the main difficulty are - as pointed before - generals on VH. I surround them from all sides and beat to death with overwhelming number of elite Roman forces, and still loose a few HUNDRED men..

Regards, and Thank You for watchin'

There will be much to do in the next few updates.

But by the time the first rock is thrown, we will at least take out Saxons too. Without them or Franks, we will be able to focus on the unwashed, sneaky barbarian hordes.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:12:40 am by Stworca »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: "Again with the Romans?!" : Western Roman Invasion (VH/VH, Part 5)
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 05:37:49 pm »

This update will be slightly longer. It's because the material simply can not be split into two. The preparations are nearly complete, the game is about to begin.

Spoiler: This time.. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ..the spoilers.. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ..are nameless (click to show/hide)

Another option is doing a dick move : Sending the Italian army straight to Constantinople and WINNING the campaign (i've built heavy onagers) while holding the hordes at the bridge. With Saxon capital we will have enough provinces for victory.
I'm just throwing it out there, that if it was a speed run, i could win the campaign in the next 4 turns.
I doubt that we'll go for Constantinople though. The let's play would be too short if i did.

Also : If i went for Constantinople right now, we wouldn't have ANY nice battles in the Let's Play.
There is no way in hell i'm going to allow that to happen. Come right inside, Hordes, do take your coats off though!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:01:01 pm by Stworca »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Again with the Romans?!" : Western Roman Invasion (P5 : Board is set)
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 08:21:07 pm »

Actually, I don't really care of the battles. I know Total War's sole selling point is the battles, but generally, you seem to be winning all of them (except for one), and I find it more interesting empire management and preparing for war than I do about winning battles against horrible AI. I don't think I support a quick win though, because I don't want you to beat up the ERE just yet. It's not really epic.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 08:28:10 pm »

Having the 'quick win' will be useful if this campaign ever gets boring. Until then, though, I think I speak for all of us when I say,

"BRING ON THE HORDES!"

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:25 pm »

Poor, poor unwashed Saxon king.  He had a really difficult time with his campaign. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:00:44 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 09:00:18 pm »

I think we should FIGHT THEM HORDES as if they were bosses. Like a boss.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12