Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159509 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (serious spoilers)
« Reply #210 on: November 01, 2011, 10:19:15 pm »

The two miners in the caisson paused, hearing the screams, and immediately ran for the stairwell. Moments later, despite the rush of magma flowing into the center of the adamantine vein, a torrent of demons poured through the breach and into the caisson. One horror, resembling a gaunt mongoose with three narrow tails, composed entirely of desiccating salt, shrieked through the air after poor Ushat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, Kel Fountainobeys scrambled along the narrow pathway that led out of the caisson. Kel was one of the few miners who aided in the excavation of the dome, and was afforded great respect amongst the miners - he was often considered to be first among them. The demons afforded him nothing.

Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 01, 2011, 10:29:00 pm »

Even as others in the deep fled up the stairwell, away from the horrifying screams in the deep, Cog Archwayward herself sealed the passage to the mines with obsidian stones. For now, the dwarves of Weatherwires are safe - but there are other ways into the fortress, and the demons are looking for them.

Shortly after I took that picture, the demons attacked and slew the three zombie magma crabs that have been loitering in the magma sea ever since I had discovered it was there. I had contemplated eventually capturing them and putting them on display, but oh well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:32:48 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 01, 2011, 10:43:37 pm »

Goblins above, demons below and infertility within. I am absolutely loving this story.
くコ:彡

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2011, 09:33:05 am »

can you route water in and seal off the magam sea drain to preserve your fps?
you may have to make Aussies special treat to survive this with minimal losses.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 02, 2011, 10:24:38 am »

The caisson was specifically designed to be filled with water. Unfortunately, I've discovered that it is apparently impossible to obsidianize magma immediately above a magma flow. It just vaporizes that square of magma, which then refills quite quickly. The end result is that the water being piped in from the lowest cavern layer can't reach the breach to seal it off, because there's a square of magma in the way that is above a magma flow. For the time being, I'm allowing water to flow in freely, in the hopes that, by chance, it might seal the breach. There are levels of FPS I am prepared to accept.

It would have been easy enough to purposefully breach the HFS and let them die to a trap. I've done it several times before with other forts, though never in a manner as stylish as Aussie's (I prefer the long series of vertical switchbacks with a controlled cave-in at the top). However, I dug it out completely by accident, and now the demons are so spread out its impossible to defeat them all now.

A trio of Pterosaur Devils have made it to the surface somehow, and are currently in the process of tearing an entire goblin siege to pieces. I suspect they swam up the magma vent (it's the most direct route), but its also possible they made it through the mines. In any case, it's only a matter of time before one, or a few, or several demons find their way into the dome. For the dwarves, life continues, idyllic and serene now that they are content in the knowledge that they really won't be the last of their race, dying alone and forgotten in the deeps.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2011, 11:43:04 am »

considering, you could seal off your dome good and propper. depends on your pump arrangements, if you can seal their sources off with hatches.
Eather way, good luck. this is turning out a bit like the 20 dwarves in a pressure cooker thread. :)
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2011, 08:17:23 pm »

The three Pterosaur Devils demolished the entire siege, then flew up above the mountain's peak. They stayed there for months, idly hovering or coasting above the battered ruins of the windmill farm. I can't know for sure how many kills each has, but their inventory and status screens, let alone the names they have earned, tell a fearsome tale.

The first is known as Colorquake the Attack of Combat.

The second is Punchattack the Molten Thorn of Jaws.

The third has been named Yearlinglances the Pale Fight.

Each one is spattered with the blood of a dozen goblins and trolls, not to mention the greyish demonic goo from their own wounds.

Three skinless, bloated pterosaurs with knobbly antennae, drenched in dried red, teal, and grey blood, and covered with scars now constantly circle overhead the abandoned surface fortress, mercilessly attacking any who come near - dwarves, men, or goblins. Truly, the outside world must now think that Weatherwires has been damned.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:01 pm »

Now you know what you must do. The dwarves must institute a prophecy that one of their descendants will rise up to overthrow the demons who patrol the skies of Weatherwires and bring freedom and a new golden age for Dwarvenkind.

Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing more sieges get torn apart by demons  :D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »

Now there are only two demons. Colorquake descended upon the next siege by itself, and four whole squads of goblins, led by an axe lord, managed to bog it down long enough to land a lucky hit on its heart. It bled out, but not before killing a dozen more of the invaders.

At this point, I am content to let the demons do what they want. There are still a few loose ends to tie up in the deeps (I managed to excavate 23 units of adamantine before the accident), and I'm sure the pteranodons problem will eventually solve itself... one way or another.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:24 pm »

Ooh! By the way, you should list your artifacts!
For example, if you had an artifact wooden throne... Then you use magma...

Dwarven nobles prove their worth by attempting to take their seat on the ever-burning throne. It is said that the true king/queen shall resist the flames and be the master of both fire and Weatherwires.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2011, 09:31:28 pm »

List my artifacts, you say?

Here we go...

There might be a wooden chair in there somewhere.

I'm kind of against making arbitrary choices to direct the flow of the fort, at this point. The story is honestly just kind of writing itself as it unfolds. I'm just narrating it so that people can read about it.

I should point out a couple of my favorites: Ballshoved, a milk quartz figurine of a bonobo, and The Thunder of Bowels, a named steel short sword. They just made me chuckle.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:39:24 pm by DS »

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2011, 10:17:13 pm »

Oh man, the demons have flying and fire. It's not like you can throw dwarves at them either.

Luring + obsidian casting? If you make the bait an up stair to the fort, you can safely seal it off with a retractable bridge on the above down stair, in case they avoid getting casted.

You have 'The Flighty Taxes', an artifact fungiwood chair on the 7th screenshot window down. Pretty fitting, considering some of the mandates nobles give.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2011, 10:30:34 pm »

Looking at the list, I have enough unused wooden artifact furniture (quite a bit of it is in noble's bedrooms, or the dining hall) that I could make an entire suite of rooms furnished with nothing but them. Then, with the proper application of magma, I could set the lot on fire and have a suite that is perpetually on fire.

I don't know who I would give the rooms to, though. I don't exactly have an excess of dwarves, here.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:32 am »

Put it on display. It MIGHT give your dwarves happy thoughts. Or horrific ones making them run away from the furniture.
But either way, when you set it up, you should forbid them from using them until your dwarves start to have babies again.

( Or you could wait for that before magmaing all of it. )

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »

I've begun carving out a new room adjacent to the magma tube which will eventually be filled with perpetually flaming furniture. I figure that this may be the last time I have so many flammable artifact weapon racks, armor stands, cabinets, chests, chairs, tables, and beds, so I might as well take advantage of the situation. When finished, the room will be about 6-7 z-levels deep, which will allow plenty room for the smoke to billow up.

Earlier, most of the demons had crowded in the long passageway leading from the dome to the caisson, but more and more have been returning to the deeps. Seemingly discouraged by the blocked passage, about half of the fiends have spread out into the lowest cavern layer, which has a magma pool opening into the sea below. They've slain many cave blobs and flesh balls since then, and are spreading out to every corner of the caves, searching tirelessly for any breach in the dwarves' defenses. It is only a matter of time before they find one.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46