Yes, as both
- 3 (21.4%)
Yes, as a follower
- 6 (42.9%)
this is stupid/needs improvement, and I will include a post why
- 1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Map project: Working on rules, open signups for both writers and artists.  (Read 5584 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check: A map project?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 09:47:57 am »

I would be interested in contributing to this, as a writer and an artist.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 10:16:16 am »

Update of rules and a formal participant thing forthcoming.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 10:44:39 am »

I could try as an artist, needed a solid reason to work on my enviroments anyway X)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:14:29 pm »

Reminds me of Pixiv Fantasia.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:03 pm »

Sign me up as an artist.

i just wish we could do it differently, say, writers write to a pool of works -> artists choose what best suits them. this way artists wont have to work on writing they do not connect to.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 05:44:23 pm »

What writing style are you aiming for anyway? Short stories? Encyclopedia articles? Traveler guides?

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 06:38:11 pm »

What writing style are you aiming for anyway? Short stories? Encyclopedia articles? Traveler guides?
Any of the three, mostly leaning towards Encyclopedia articles and traveler guides. Most of the short stories should be saved for post turn stuff, and the other two fit better.

So, Formal entry thing for Writer
Username:
Island Name:
Population:
Features:(general description)
Preferred piece of map:(a direction will suffice)
(optional) link to a previous writing piece:

Formal Entry for Artist
Username:
Preferred tools:
(optional) link to a previous piece of art:

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 02:57:13 am »

Formal Entry for Writer
Username: mendonca
Island Name: Geometra Isles
Population: 250 - 1000
Features: Small collection of islands characterised by relatively tall central mountains, steep cliffs and in parts a strangely regular geometric coastline (now dulled with erosion). Limited population concentrated around recent fishing encampments. Obvious signs of previous, more consistent occupation, perhaps a few hundred years ago (stone footings, metal artifacts etc.).
Preferred piece of map: North East (?)
(optional) link to a previous writing piece: Style evident HERE but has limited relevance to theme.

Formal Entry for Artist
Username: mendonca
Preferred tools: GIMP and Tablet
(optional) link to a previous piece of art: LOOK HERE Probably about the most appropriate link, technique wise, but not too relevant cartographically speaking.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Map project: Working on rules, open signups for both writers and artists.
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 05:00:44 am »

I'm kinda interested in this, as a writer though. I'm the worst artist ever.

Formal Entry for Writer
Username: micelus
Island Name: Isa De Jolla
Population: 500-6000? (the explorers weren't very sure. Can't be when all but three died.)
Features: A large, once-volcanic island with several small isles on the northern and north-eastern sides. The main island is heavy jungle with hills in the centre and west. The western part of the island is low lying and for the most part, a smooth beach broken every now and then by a short drop. A short distance out of the sea is the actual volcano. Most of the island is inhabited my small tribes and clans...There are dark things happening here...
Preferred piece of map: Far South
(optional) link to a previous writing piece:This and This and This (refer to Ryten). Not anything doing with theme, nor a connecting theme, but I write. Not  great at in-character writing, good at description.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 05:24:53 am »

Now this is just personal opinion, but I think you are doing it wrong. You are trying to build a world from the bottom up, starting with small details like the population of a specific island, while you should be going from the top down.
You should start with a world map. Make continents, oceans, island chains, anything significant and name these land masses.
Then split up this world into countries, realms, territories, what ever you want to call them. Decide who owns what. Neutral ground, or area owned by several nations is ok, and some is recommended, as it makes for prime story telling locations. You are also going to have to define the culture of the nation, what they wear and eat, maybe what race they are, what technology they have, how they do their shit.
Then start placing small islands, and towns and cities on larger, already defined islands.
Once all that is done, you get to start what you are doing now, but there will be a nice framework to go off for consistency. Writers should include things like the island layout, so show beaches and where the port is, jungle and farm area, what ever they want on it.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 05:27:24 am »

True, but it need not be that way. It worked for the Discworld setting, if I recall.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 06:11:35 am »

Now this is just personal opinion, but I think you are doing it wrong. You are trying to build a world from the bottom up, starting with small details like the population of a specific island, while you should be going from the top down.
You should start with a world map. Make continents, oceans, island chains, anything significant and name these land masses.
Then split up this world into countries, realms, territories, what ever you want to call them. Decide who owns what. Neutral ground, or area owned by several nations is ok, and some is recommended, as it makes for prime story telling locations. You are also going to have to define the culture of the nation, what they wear and eat, maybe what race they are, what technology they have, how they do their shit.
Then start placing small islands, and towns and cities on larger, already defined islands.
Once all that is done, you get to start what you are doing now, but there will be a nice framework to go off for consistency. Writers should include things like the island layout, so show beaches and where the port is, jungle and farm area, what ever they want on it.
Max I think that's  actually pretty much how we should've started this. I'm not sure If I should restart with a map, because what is happening now is looking relatively good, and I think most culture definition will come from later works when we get to the inevitable citadels and colonies. For the sake of the project, let's stick with this, as we've sort of already started.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 09:19:02 am »

maybe we could take "cults" world generation, genreate a world and build on that?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 10:12:52 am »

I think creating a world would be easier with an overarching masterplan, but it could be in some ways more limiting.

Depends whether there is the appetite to approach such a free form task.

Personally I think we should give it a go, the overall brief (islands / cusp of industrial revolution / steampunk) lends itself to a disparate approach from various sources. It might not ultimately work, but it could be fun to try.

(besides I got carried away and have already written a 'Brief Guide to the Geometra Isles') :)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 10:53:05 am »

Well we could have some very general limitations and we let everyone run amok within those boundaries.Then we try and piece it all together as well as we can  making something atleast partially coherent.Then we can continue making worlds/settings in various ways and types for everyone to use :D

Also guides, they need to be ilustrated like tourist or fantasy guides with certain tips and random trivia i think, perhaps following a story of the dude doing them (like, here is an image of our brave explorer fighting off some rabid tree tossing fish squirrels).

Formal Entry for Artist

Username:Jopax
Preferred tools:Pencil, Pen, Photoshop CS3, Tablet
(optional) link to a previous piece of art: http://djoze32.deviantart.com/
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4