Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Over Hill, Over Dale - Dark Apprentice Needed!  (Read 39372 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Over Hill, Over Dale [DAY 1: 14/14]
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 05:40:42 pm »

So let's do this. Assuming that we start with flavorclaims... One sec while I bra my PM and EDBWODP

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 05:44:06 pm »

Good morning, Dariush. Choose two people to be your scum partners, and explain why.

Jack, of the people in this game, which would be the best scum?

Jim, are you feeling as fabulous as you were last game?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »

Er.. I meant "get my PM". I typoed it though.

Onto the flavorclaim

My guy's name is Samuel Parris, and he's a tailor/haberdasher. I run a tailorshop/haberdashery, and I've served a good amount of people. I know almost everything about tailoring. I only really like tailoring these days, and I used to psint and indeed have the stuff still lying around. Don't have enough time to find them though. If I see someone wearing my clothes it makes me happy.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:17 pm »

I love the flavor already.
I'm brother of my character from previous game. I wonder if that's more common.

Something else: We got two day bells and one night bell ? Someone got any ideas what that means ?

Think0028: How do you feel about D1 flavorhunting ? Based on first game experience do you think finding out witches or third parties should be our priority ?
Dariush: Have you inherited something from your wizard ? What do you think about the bells ?
Powder Miner: Why start with full flavorclaim ?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 06:13:13 pm »

I was taking a page from Ockham's Mafia- to tell the truth, I'm not really sure how to go about a Witche's Coven game.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 06:44:10 pm »

Oh gods, the bells.

If folks start rezzing en masse, you know what to do. [This is a reference to that one mafia game with the bells. Look it up, its in the notable games archive]

Anyway.

Hey, yeah, flavour claims. I love me some flavour claims. Good show Powder Miner, bad show Simple. You got a problem with folks flavour claiming? You afeared that your flavour won't stand up to close inspection? You scum bastard you.

I am Walter Bloom. I am an actor, recently arrived from the capital. I lead the Blooming Actors, a two man troupe from the capital. We do skits and music.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:50 pm »

The hell is this bell business?

Time Blossom, since I've never played a game with you before, tell me about your mafia experience and how extensive it's been.

Toaster, apparently witches, but what about other hostile third parties? What could we face this game, if not in flavor then in role?

McArathos, how many games do you think you'd have to play before I can't immediately laser in on your scum meta? Do you think it will be this game?

Jim, are you feeling as fabulous as you were last game?

Yes, of course. But I'm fabulous no matter what. Fabulous.

I am Hugh Pemberton. I am a singer, recently arrived from the capitol. I am the second man of the Blooming Actors, a two man troupe from the capitol. We do music and skits.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 07:05:13 pm »

Theory: Three scum, bells somehow represent them? Although 3 is low for 14 players, we have precedence from the last game...

Anyway, flavor.

I am Lawrence Erewaker, grammar school Latin teacher. I am from a small town farther north, and am visiting my parents in the city. I also dress "thinly verging on the inappropriate" (according to some). It's to feel the weather...

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:53 pm »

If the bells represent the witches, then why has one stopped ringing? Perhaps it has something to do with third parties?

Anyway, Urist_McArathos, what do YOU think of the bells?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 07:29:11 pm »

NUKE, who do you fear most in this game?

Flavor: I am Allen Underhill, glazier extroardinaire and dabbler in various other fields. I have difficulty giving a shit about the witch-hunt because I'm in the middle of a well-paid job for a local lord which has been delayed by a late delivery.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 08:54:01 pm »

Greetings!  Edmund Thorne here, a travelling tutor.  I've just arrived in town, and I am staying at a nearby hostel while seeking a wealthy patron with children that need a good education.

Urist M:  Do you think that no one was able to kill N0 or that no one wanted to kill N0?

Urist I:  Do you think having two Urists in the game will cause confusion?

Think:  What did you learn from the first iteration of this game that you can apply to this one?

Jim:  I'm sure there are third parties.  What ones?  I have no idea.  Last game we had a Golem (straight SK) and a Wizard (with a non-standard wincon that was, from what I can tell, SK with a twist.)   Pulling things from my ass, I'd guess a fairly hostile one (SK or so), a manipulative one (lyncher/jester/w-ally), and one more- perhaps something inoffensive like a survivor.  Continuing to ass-pull, I'd bet the killer is nonmagical (we didn't have such a thing last game, and serial killers are more likely in cities) and at least one of the others is non-magical.

Anyway, I have three theories on the bells.  In order of likelihood:

1:  Each bell represents a non-town (or third party) faction (which may consist of a single person.)  It represents how they're doing in terms of accomplishing their goals.

2:  Someone controls them, and it has a Sleeping God style effect on the game.  The controller may or may not know the effect.

3:  They're a red herring.

In any case, Bellsounder Mafia is a great game and you should all go read it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 09:13:51 pm »

Urist I:  Do you think having two Urists in the game will cause confusion?

Not really. We were both in the Wild West Mafia, and everyone just used our last names.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 09:22:12 pm »

The hell is this bell business?
Not sure. The belltowers are separate from the bell in the church steeple, judging by the flavor, so they can't be anything good. Death knells, maybe?

Also, since there are more than one of them, perhaps a certain sequence or combination... does... something bad?
Time Blossom, since I've never played a game with you before, tell me about your mafia experience and how extensive it's been.
But of course!

I've mostly played over the xkcd forum. Played in quite a few games, mostly IRC. I suppose it's been... Oh, I don't know, a couple of years since I last played. My, the time does fly, doesn't it?

Anyway, my first game ever was a rather small one; three vanilla townies, one cop and two scum. I was one of the scum, and did most of the legwork for a shutout game by cop-claiming and fortunately fingering the real cop as scum. Silly me, I thought I had skills, but it in retrospect it was a really stupid move; if I'd fingered the vanilla townie I would've gotten wasted. ^^

After that, I mostly ended up in third parties, cults and the like. Won a few, lost a few; more the latter, I think. Played Jester once; that was fun mostly because it was a Disney game and I'd picked Jack Sparrow. (There weren't a lot of vanilla games with that crowd.)

Come to think of it, I think the only time I ever played town was as a doctor in a Princess Bride game.

Oh, and I played one live-action game at Anthrocon '09. I was one of the werewolves, and we got our butts kicked; I have a terrible poker face. ^.^;

Anyway, since we're playing the question game... ah, let's see...

ECrownofFire, would you rather be liked or trusted?

(I think I'm rubbish at this...)

And, flavor:

I am Shemaiah Taylor, choir member. I was raised by the church from a very young age, and have been taught that my voice to be a gift from God to be used with humility.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 09:37:00 pm »

I'm Simon MacTurlough, an out-of-work Irish sailor. Times are tough, I'm pretty close to having nothing at all. Still, doing my best.

Simple: Considering how desperate I got when I was pressed for flavor as a witch last game, I feel like getting some initial flavor out will definitely help. If I'm going strictly by how the last game went, I'd give 100% priority to finding the third parties, because the witches didn't actually have anything they could do against the town. However, I doubt LNCP would do the same thing twice, so I'm defaulting to finding suspicious people in general until I have a better idea of what's going on.

Toaster: I've learned two things that I think will be relevant here: one, that there will very likely be third parties that have a significant effect on the game, and two, that flavor is important to at least consider. I'm not relying too much on specifics, because I doubt LNCP would put so much effort in rerunning a now open setup where the main value was the mystery.

NativeForeigner: Suppose you're a town power role. What role would you rather be?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 09:44:37 pm »

Liked or trusted? One tends to lead to other, but nobody really trusts anybody they don't like, but you can at least sort of like somebody you don't trust. I think being liked is more useful though. To me, it means one less town person that everyone is trying to chase after, hehe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18