Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What The Hell Is This?  (Read 1522 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
What The Hell Is This?
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:20:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This might be a stupid question, but I've never seen anything about it before. When pressing ctrl+s, this little bar comes up that allows you to enter a string of text into it, and I'd like to know what it does before I go screwing around with it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: What The Hell Is This?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:25:34 am »

If I recall, that's the macro feature. Ctrl+S saves your current macro, whatever that might be, whether you activated it or not. The record options are on separate buttons, but I forgot which one is which.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:31:29 am »

If you hit ctrl-r, the game will record your key presses until you hit ctrl-r again. This creates a macro that you can play back with ctrl-p. Ctrl-s allows you to save the currently-active macro, and ctrl-l allows you to load a saved macro as the current macro (so you can play it back with ctrl-p).

These are in fact quite useful and make many functions quite a bit faster and easier than they otherwise would be. I've got macros to queue a full set of steel armor at the manager, which would otherwise take close to 100 keystroke, another to queue 100 rock blocks, one to queue the makings of a green glass pump, one for selecting everything on one z-level of the map, one to select a whole page on the "bring items to depot" screeen (also useful for on the trade screen itself), and others that I don't use so often.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:42:28 am »

Hmm, this new found feature intrigues me...I'll have to play around with it sometime.

Many thanks for the info.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:47 am »

profiled for later reference
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:27:50 am »

It may also be used to record designations of room allowing you to reuse in this/next forts.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:10:46 pm »

Oh this is just awesome.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:35:14 am »

And suddenly, circular fortress rooms were made easier.

What are the limitations of the macro with respect to keypresses, etc? How much can you get out of a single macro?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:58:11 am »

I don't believe that there is any limit to the amount of keystrokes it can hold in one macro. You will want to go into the macro file and remove unnecessary meanings from each keystroke to speed up any saved macros however.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.