Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Nilocys' Timeline + Transexual/Transgender issues discussion thing.  (Read 11339 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Figured I needed somewhere to keep these.

Anyway, as you may or may not know already I'm tranistioning from male to female. T-minus 1 month till HRT (Hormone replacement therapy)

Might aswell start a timeline.

http://imgur.com/glAdp

Edit: Status: Not passable yet. : (

Super Edit: If you have any questions, or just want to discuss the issues surrounding transexualism and all the wonderful complicated and colourful subjects involved with it, please ask away.

Remember, be polite.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:06:17 am by Nilocy »

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
Re: Nilocys' Timeline.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:21:40 pm »

You've made a lot of progress! If you'd like it, your friends here could refer to you as a her to make you feel better about it. After all, it takes time for you to look passable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

Good luck, bro, it looks like progress has been made.

(IIRC, bro was the term you wanted us to use in the original thread you made about this, tell me if you want that changed.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:30:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a less trololo note, I think you're better than most at passing as a feminine girl this early. (I.E. before hormonal treatment) The hormones will help in that regard, definitely.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »

I don't mind about pronouns at all, I don't view gender as a thing that people should care about.

But yeah, I've been told that I have a pretty feminine face. Also styling my hair has really helped a lot :D

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 12:08:58 am »

Forgive me my ignorance, and any rudeness that may be construed by my post, but I'm just wondering, what drives a man to change genders? It really doesn't make sense to me.

I know a ... I guess i should call h[er] a woman, who is a husband, and a father, and went through (or is it still going? I don't know) gender change. His poor 6yr old daughter, doesn't understand it at all.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:21:28 am »

Forgive me my ignorance, and any rudeness that may be construed by my post, but I'm just wondering, what drives a man to change genders? It really doesn't make sense to me.

I know a ... I guess i should call h[er] a woman, who is a husband, and a father, and went through (or is it still going? I don't know) gender change. His poor 6yr old daughter, doesn't understand it at all.

Well lets start of, never considered myself a man. I don't view gender as a role to fill, gender is a sliding scale, from one end of the spectrum to another.

I feel more comfortable in a feminine form, simple as that pretty much.

Can I ask, what is it that doesn't make sense. If you ask a less vague question I'll give a less vague answer if the above doesn't answer your original.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:33:53 am »

The way I usually hear it, there's no more "driving" a man to trans* than there is "driving" a man to being gay. They're both something you're born with/as/what-have-you, and you either come to terms with it or you don't.

Trans* is clinically regarded as a disorder, and while that's good for getting you the admittedly necessary medical help* you need to do a full transition (if that's what the patient wants, of course. Not everyone does), it's not exactly gravy for public image.

*Good luck getting your hands on the hormone treatments, let alone the surgical requirements. You need a doctor, and if it's treated as a disorder that's much easier.

Edit: Yeah, what Barbie said.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:36:02 am by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 12:35:26 am »

Well, think of it this way. It's not changing your gender, it's changing your body to reflect your true gender. Changing your gender would be somewhere atwixt hard and impossible. Changing your body is easy (comparatively) with modern medicine.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:49:16 am »

What Barbarossa said pretty much. Its a rather confusing subject, I won't disagree with that.

Also Descan, gender dysphoria is no longer recognised as a mental illness.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:50:19 am »

Alright (and in ignorance of ninjas): Why it doesn't make sense to me.

You say that gender is an analog spectrum, in which one is placed depending on their attitudes and mental state. In stark contrast to you, I see gender as a boolean - You either are one, or you are the other, and there is no middle ground, and genetically, this has been seen to be so. As such, and forgive my possibly old-fashioned views, the two genders have their own duties, nay, responsibilities, the Man to be the father and provider, and the Woman to be the mother and nurturer. Personally, I look forward to carrying out my obligations as Father and Provider. So it may seem a little bit more apparent why I don't grok* the idea of a Man stepping down from his duties, and taking on the mantle of the Woman, and yet be unable to live up to the duties of a Woman (AFAIK, transgendered people are unable to reproduce (at least after the manner of their new gender) after the surgery. Correct me if I'm wrong).

*Wow, 'grok' passes the spell-checker!
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:50:48 am »

Gender dysphoria was crazy in the 1900's. If you thought you belonged in a body of the opposite gender, then you'd get throw in a mental institution with the actually insane people.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 01:00:29 am »

Well, there's science, and science doesn't stop marching for anyone. At the moment scientists are developing uterus implantation surgeries that have thus far proved successful on lab rats, so that is an option. On the other hand, you could view them in the same way as you view sterile (until medical science fixes that) women. If they never considered themselves men, they're not stepping down from anything. They just happen to lack the ability to reproduce. (For now.)

Honest questions here:

1. Do you have any problems with Female → Male transgendered folk? I'd imagine that a woman could fill those roles pretty well.

2. Would your opinion change if a Male → Female transgendered person had an implanted donated uterus (or hell, a newly grown one, if organ farms get working) that they could use for reproduction?

Not trying to be combative or argue with you, just trying to see things better from your point of view.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 01:03:25 am »

Really? I thought a form of trans-gender, I.E. the one they use to actually get medical help easier, was in the DSM... IV? Or something.

Pseudo-edit: Ah, according to Wikipedia, "Gender Identity Disorder" is in the DSM-IV TR and the ICD-10 CM, as a mental disorder requiring treatment (i.e. transitioning)... Well, okay, it doesn't say it REQUIRES treatment, or what that treatment specifically is (as far as I know, I just skimmed), I'm just going by what others have said before, both online and in person.

As for not being able to reproduce in their preferred-gender way, yes. That seems to be something that gets in the way of people deciding to fully transition. Though hopefully, in the future (and with the help of yours truly~), that will no longer be a hurdle with biological engineering.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 01:08:24 am »

I can see where you're coming from, it’s been like that for, pretty much ever, and now society is becoming much more used to the idea of fluid gender. Your views, in my opinion, are very dated. Maybe it was suitable in the days when we were hunter gatherers, but not in today’s society one bit. I can't agree that people are born into such strictly defined boundaries, basically a caste system, because of a quirk of their fathers’ sperm deciding whether they were male or female. Its unfair to do that; and it can lead to nasty repercussions for those of choosing a differing lifestyle to the 'norm'

On the topic of roles gender can't you say that women are perfectly capable of being the providers while men equally so at being the nurturers? What about same sex relationships?

It can come as a shock to people who've grown up and believe in 1 or 0, nothing in-between. Believe you me; I know what it’s like (when I came out to my parents, oh the larks we had). And you mentioned biological factors, what about those people born with XXY sex chromosomes? What about those people with hormonal deficiencies?

Edit: lol spelling mistakes

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:10:37 am by Nilocy »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7