Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: GSC Gameworld takes a fatal dose of rads - S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 is dead, again.  (Read 4196 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/stalker-project-2/1214404p1.html

RPS spotted some dismal news today: GSC Game World, the Ukrainian developer behind STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl and its sequels, confirmed that it has closed its doors and ceased development.

In this day and age a dev house being unable to find a publisher isn't the end of the world. However, GSC Gameworld isn't exactly a big player rolling in cash who can afford to have a project languish while looking for a publisher.

Now get out of here, Stalker.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:30:34 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: GSC Gameworld takes a fatal dose of rads - S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 is dead
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:54:11 pm »

What? WHAT? DAMMIT. That game was one of the ONLY things I was waiting for, now GSC melts.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:56:51 pm »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

EDIT: I heard it was closed down not because it was failing to make a profit but because of one of two reasons: a) the developers of STALKER 2 and the CEO had a disagreement or b) the Ukrainian government took an 'interest' in the company and all of a sudden... Tis gone.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 05:59:25 pm »

Well, that's rumor-tacular.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:00:06 pm »

Well, that's rumor-tacular.

RPS reported it... They're a fairly reputable source.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 06:03:23 pm »

Yes, the RPS article is here if you're keen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »

I'm reading the article and it says nothing about a conflict between lead developer and CEO or the Ukrainian government swooping in wearing ski masks.

Ah, I suppose you're talking about this random thread commentor?

Sergei Grigorovich, founder and CEO of the largest developer of computer games in Eastern Europe – Kiev company GSC Game World – decided to close the company.

On this to Ukrainian News reported an informed source.

According to him, today, December 9, Grigorovich announced the closure of the company at a meeting of the workforce.

He explained his decision to personal reasons, without specifying them.

Employees were promised that they owed wages to be paid prior to February 2012. According to sources, the company employs about 40-50 people.

Interlocutor of the agency said that part of the personnel of the company with close ties discontent Grigorovich the progress of development of STALKER 2, and some – with an interest in the company from one of the security forces, which began, according to the interlocutor, for about two months ago.

The source stressed that the above reasons – this is only speculation and version.

The company GSC Game World is working in the computer games industry since 1995. She has released more than a dozen of its own gaming projects, including “The Cossacks”, “STALKER”, “The Conquest of America”, “Heroes of Annihilated Empires.” The first two have become blockbuster, and even places of worship in the Ukrainian community of gamers.

Grigorovich became an entrepreneur in 2010 in Ukraine, according to the company Ernst & Young.

That's a little bit different than RPS reporting it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:05:58 pm by nenjin »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:13:24 pm »

I'm reading the article and it says nothing about a conflict between lead developer and CEO or the Ukrainian government swooping in wearing ski masks.

Ah, I suppose you're talking about this random thread commentor?

Sergei Grigorovich, founder and CEO of the largest developer of computer games in Eastern Europe – Kiev company GSC Game World – decided to close the company.

On this to Ukrainian News reported an informed source.

According to him, today, December 9, Grigorovich announced the closure of the company at a meeting of the workforce.

He explained his decision to personal reasons, without specifying them.

Employees were promised that they owed wages to be paid prior to February 2012. According to sources, the company employs about 40-50 people.

Interlocutor of the agency said that part of the personnel of the company with close ties discontent Grigorovich the progress of development of STALKER 2, and some – with an interest in the company from one of the security forces, which began, according to the interlocutor, for about two months ago.

The source stressed that the above reasons – this is only speculation and version.

The company GSC Game World is working in the computer games industry since 1995. She has released more than a dozen of its own gaming projects, including “The Cossacks”, “STALKER”, “The Conquest of America”, “Heroes of Annihilated Empires.” The first two have become blockbuster, and even places of worship in the Ukrainian community of gamers.

Grigorovich became an entrepreneur in 2010 in Ukraine, according to the company Ernst & Young.

That's a little bit different than RPS reporting it.

It's also reported on another site in Russian and a bi-lingual Russian RPS reader translated it which contained the same two theories.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 06:18:10 pm »

I get that. Still. RPS didn't report anything until they make a news article and choose to mention those sources. Out of curiosity, what was the name of the Russian news site?

Sunkwell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 06:32:19 pm »

They couldn't have disappeared without naming a heir and giving him all the data required to make all of the sequels!
right?
He took joy in slaughter lately.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 06:42:06 pm »

MARKED ONE, WHAT THE HELL?!
Shoes...

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:49:50 pm »

There's also the part where GSC was by no means poor.

They've sold like 4 million copies, they could be their own damn publisher.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »

That seems kind of like an all or nothing gamble. Kind of hard too when the rights to Stalker are probably not in their hands.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 12:48:24 am »

At least we can all still look forward to the next CoD game.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 01:43:03 am »

Well, 4A games is still around, so maybe they'll pick up the torch. Hell, they even got the GOOD Uncle Yar voice actor.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4