Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is my plan any good

Of course commandant! All Hail the glorious German Army!
- 9 (100%)
No Commandant! Der Furhrer will surely have your head!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fourty Hours in Hell. Achtung Panzer Operation Star.  (Read 6842 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Fourty Hours in Hell. Achtung Panzer Operation Star.
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:50:06 pm »

Spoiler: Origonal Post (click to show/hide)

Okay Bay12, Let's strap our helmets on and head for the Eastern Front, to die with dignity, honor, and who am I kidding, let's get ready to die screaming and crying while hiding in an artillery crater, and by that I mean let's play Achtung Panzer: Operation Star.
APOS, which I must admit is a rather unfortunate acronym, is the latest in a series of games by Graviteam, a Russian developer know mainly for their tank sims. In this game we play the, shall I say lesser known battles of the Eastern Front, and by that I mean most of the missions I can only find historical documents as vague as "yep, this happend alright". For this LP I am going to be using the latest beta patch, and one of the simpler missions, just to show simply how brutal this game can get. Since I suck at descriptions, let's get this LP started!

EDIT: LP renamed to Fourty Hours, because the longer mission is still broken with the patch, so I chose one of the other missions.

EDIT: The battles look ugly because it runs poorly on my PC, so I have it set to 800x600, while still maintaining a 1024x768 resolution for the interface. I might switch to pure 1024x768 though.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: One Small Step / Sixty Hours in Hell. Choose my LP!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:59:43 pm »

Oh, totally Achtung: Panzer. That one's proven beyond me so far (althoug I just got their new '70s-'80s tank sim), so I demand to live vicariously through you.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »

I haven't played the new Operation Star, but the original has a special place in my heart. I would like to see the new game and how it plays :)

Distant Worlds is also one of my fav 4xs. Would you be playing with the new expansion? Because I would also love to see that in action.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:46 am »

Well it appears Achtung Panzer has won, now we just have to wait for the patch in a few days.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fourty Hours in Hell. Achtung Panzer Operation Star. (Awaiting patch)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:54:05 am »

Ok here we go guys, let's strap those helmets on, because we've been deployed to fight for Der Fuhrer!

Spoiler:  Our mission (click to show/hide)
Our mission is simple, we; the 11th Panzer Division, are tasked with breaking through the river crossing Mzha, and we are being assisted by a SS division to the west. Command has given us a deadline of around fourty hours, which should be no problem, I mean, It's just one bridge right?

Ok guys this is why I wanted to wait for the patch, if I hadn't you'd be seeing alot less units, think one per square instead of the 2-3 per square we have, which made tactical engagements somewhat boring and lifeless. Anyway here is what we have, a nice mix of infantry and armor, and we're within striking distance of our objective. The only thing that worries me right now is that the SS has jumped the gun a bit to the west, and sent 3 armor platoons way beyond  where we can support them. Now the one thing I want to point out is Krondorf, he is our commander, I'm not sure what happens if he dies, but It can't be good. Ok so first phase of battle, should we immediatly attack Rakitnoe, or should we move up our Artillery (as well as more troops of course) in the south which would give us a massive atttack advantage, but also wasting precious time and risking letting the Soviets dig in? Or should we rush into the village using only whats nearby at the moment?

EDIT: forgot to mention, those dark red guys on the map are our reinforcements, which wont show up for 6 turns.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fourty Hours in Hell. Achtung Panzer Operation Star.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:22:28 am »

The SS can do it, I believe in yoouuuuuuuu :D Attack now and bring the reinforcements up to assist!

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:26:00 pm »

Sooo... Achtung Panzer is a series of games? Which one would you recommend?

Also, I say Blitzkrieg: Quick artillery shelling, then overwhelming attack. Can you send a few units past the village, then wait until the arty gets up to take the village?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »

Sooo... Achtung Panzer is a series of games? Which one would you recommend?
Sort of, Achtung Panzer only has two entires, and Operation star is by far the best. However all of their games are based around a similar engine, Steel Fury being a pure tank commander sim, and Steel Armor being a mix of Achtung Panzer and Steel Fury.

Also, I say Blitzkrieg: Quick artillery shelling, then overwhelming attack. Can you send a few units past the village, then wait until the arty gets up to take the village?
I actually could get troops into the village, two platoons infact (each circle can hold a unit). My biggest concern is that I have no clue what the Soviets are bringing to the fight, knowing my luck they'll have plenty of AT near that bridge.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 03:06:27 pm »

So to get this clear: Each small circle can hold one "unit", and battles break out when two "units" of opposing factions occupy.. the same circle, or the same large grid? If the circle, then how would you support panzer operations with infantry? Also, can you use the units marked in orange, or are those AI controlled?

Anyways, I'd station a unit of infantry to the East to defend aginst a possible Soviet crossing, then wait for the artillery to blow the crap out of the village.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 03:24:14 pm »

So to get this clear: Each small circle can hold one "unit", and battles break out when two "units" of opposing factions occupy.. the same circle, or the same large grid? If the circle, then how would you support panzer operations with infantry? Also, can you use the units marked in orange, or are those AI controlled?

Right battles are by grids, which was the way it used to be, then they added the circles into it so you can have several units per grid. Orange is AI unfortunatly, which is a shame, those SS guys kick ass.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 05:22:10 pm »

Well, you made me buy a game. Now you should feel guilty. ;)

Edit: I can't vote in the poll.

Second edit: I see smaller grids, four of which make a larger grid. Which one is used for battles? I take that the blue area is where the Soviets can deploy their forces.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:25:41 pm by Mormota »

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 05:55:57 pm »

Second edit: I see smaller grids, four of which make a larger grid. Which one is used for battles? I take that the blue area is where the Soviets can deploy their forces.

Derp forgot to unlock the poll from its last option, also the larger grids, i cant imagine what would happen if i had 20 tanks in one of the smaller grids, that like 3 houses wide. And yea the colors are backwards, since I think your really supposed to be doing all the Soviet missions, especially since there's more Soviet missions than Germans, but what can I say.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 12:39:10 pm »

Spoiler: Our Move (click to show/hide)
I had our men move up into the village on the river bank, bringing up our artillery into battle range hopefully. Other than that nothing eventful happened on our turn

Spoiler:  Enemy and Ally Move (click to show/hide)
The SS has decided to proceed on their offensive, moving their units into the hamlet of Bedvoka in the North, as welll as sending Sorgend to dispatch a small pocket of Soviet troops. On the Eastern Front (pun intended?) the Soviets have decided that they will not allow any German troops into any part of Rakitnoe, even the outskirts, and because of this, we have our first battle.

The Battle Plan

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Russians have decided to take the fight to us, and are trying to force a crossing onto our side of the river, as such I should have a chance to dig in a bit and get my troops ready.

Kempl's Platton has been tasked with setting up an ambush near the bridge, and with any luck, the Soviet advance should stop right there. I expect Kempl to take some heavy casulties, but by the time the Soviets get through his ambush, they should be sufficiently weak. The Ambush also serves as a scouting party, because Im not willing to bring in my other troops untill I know exactly what is being brought to the fight.

Because of this, Kortenhous and Illinger are sitting in reserve, waiting for further orders.

Ok guys so that's the basic plan. I wanted to get some input before committing to our very first battle, mostly because I am absolutly terrible at tactics, and I'm sure you guys can blow a million tank shell sized holes in my battle plan.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 01:33:54 pm »

All your spoilers are empty. I think you broke the links.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:34:11 pm by BishopX »

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 01:36:42 pm »

I can only not see the last picture. At any rate, I'd use Illinger to cross the river to the West and scout out the enemy. I also don't really think you should sacrifice a whole platoon. If you have any MGs, station them near the bridge.
Pages: [1] 2