Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 728264 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #630 on: January 08, 2012, 06:21:21 pm »

And yet there are still polygamists. Does the law just not care, or has polygamy become legal since that ruling?

Fake Edit: Actually, probably not the place to discuss that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 08, 2012, 06:35:56 pm »

And yet there are still polygamists. Does the law just not care, or has polygamy become legal since that ruling?

Fake Edit: Actually, probably not the place to discuss that.
No it isn't, but to answer your question in a purely factual sense, polygamy is still illegal in the United States and how much the law cares varies by region.

Moving on...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #632 on: January 08, 2012, 06:58:29 pm »

3. This is where the problem emerges, people have the right not to be forced to work for all people if they don't wish to. ie a store can refuse to sell to black people. They can do this because it does not violate any "negative" rights because traditionally one did not have the right to eat at a certain restaurant. However civil rights legislation says you do, which leads to fun in the supreme court as the libertarians and progressives argue over which side has primacy on this issue.
If I was a black guy, I wouldn't really want to go to a restaurant managed by racists in the first place :P

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 08, 2012, 06:59:44 pm »

Considering how much the republican candidates are going on about Iran, it would be funny if by the time the actual election comes around all the sanctions have finally had their effect and the situation is completely over.
Magma is overrated.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 08, 2012, 07:15:11 pm »

If I was a black guy, I wouldn't really want to go to a restaurant managed by racists in the first place :P
I'm sure you also wouldn't want to go to a hospital or school staffed by racists, even if it's the only (adequate) one in your area.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #635 on: January 08, 2012, 07:34:37 pm »

I'm sure you also wouldn't want to go to a hospital or school staffed by racists, even if it's the only (adequate) one in your area.
It's usually implied that there's more than one restaurant in a specific area. Obviously, it's different for public services.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 08, 2012, 07:38:03 pm »

3. This is where the problem emerges, people have the right not to be forced to work for all people if they don't wish to. ie a store can refuse to sell to black people. They can do this because it does not violate any "negative" rights because traditionally one did not have the right to eat at a certain restaurant. However civil rights legislation says you do, which leads to fun in the supreme court as the libertarians and progressives argue over which side has primacy on this issue.
As a white guy I wouldn't go to a restaurant run by racists either.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #637 on: January 08, 2012, 07:41:14 pm »

Well, obviously not. Though the original example was a black guy being refused service.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 08, 2012, 07:45:33 pm »

It's usually implied that there's more than one restaurant in a specific area. Obviously, it's different for public services.
Yes, but a) what if the other restaurants in the area are also run/ attended by racists and b) being excluded from various private (but supposedly open to the public) businesses can quickly cause wider social exclusion and resentment among people.  They may even campaign for this exclusion to be made illegal.  Kindof like they did.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:29 pm »

Well... that's gotta be a pretty obvious ruling.  Otherwise you could have people sacrificing children to their god legally.
AWWW MAN, I wanted to become part of the skull throne.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #640 on: January 09, 2012, 12:05:28 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOq3O8g1xw4

Way to read the Constitution, Romney.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 09, 2012, 12:16:00 am »

What. I don't know how he has gotten this far without reading the Constitution. It's required of all high school sophomores, why do politicians get to skip that?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #642 on: January 09, 2012, 12:23:36 am »

What. I don't know how he has gotten this far without reading the Constitution. It's required of all high school sophomores, why do politicians get to skip that?
What's really scary is how he plays it off as a fucking joke and the audience just laughs at it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 09, 2012, 12:28:27 am »

Would you as a white person buy products made by companies that hire child workers, gather information on their employees for the authoritarian regimes, destroy essential farmland and water sources and poison people with pollutants that could be controlled for an affordable price?  Because I'll bet you dollars to yuan that in the past month you have bought products that were at least made in China in exactly that fashion.  And I don't blame you, such products are difficult for you as a consumer to avoid.  The right thing to do is for the government to ban such practices and for our government.  Boycotts can be effective but only on particularly salient points because boycotts don't spring from nothing.

If the government hadn't made white's only restaurants illegal back in the 60's, you would eat at them unless it was a particularly high profile social issue or you were particularly committed.  People in the past fought and won these battles and you dismiss them because they are already won.

So when people say this...

They are just being ignorant as to where our modern tolerance came from.  Black people don't need to patronize racists anymore because people fought those battles already.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #644 on: January 09, 2012, 12:44:59 am »

If the government hadn't made white's only restaurants illegal back in the 60's, you would eat at them unless it was a particularly high profile social issue or you were particularly committed.  People in the past fought and won these battles and you dismiss them because they are already won.

So when people say this...

They are just being ignorant as to where our modern tolerance came from.  Black people don't need to patronize racists anymore because people fought those battles already.
What "battle" is that though? What "victory" was taken? The victory of being able to go to a restaurant run by racists? Oh, what fun!

It's not "patronizing" anyone, because you wouldn't go there regardless of whether or not you COULD, knowing it was run by racists.

Whether or not you go near a racist, they're still a fucking racist.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 714