Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)

- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 01, 2012, 06:12:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Dio e Popolo! (Ch. VII)  (Read 62447 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Conclavis! (Ch. V)
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »

As a mere Oberst, I'll refrain from voting.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2012, 01:26:32 pm »

Oh my dear Lord. Cardinal Cicero has been declared Consul, controls all of the Electors, and is likely going to be one of the prime candidates for Pope Gregory's replacement. So much for "democracy". It really does amuse me at what a sham this massive faux-reformation has turned out to be. I wonder who's political manuring this was all caused by, because everything looks functionally the same. I would think Cicero would be the prime candidate given how much power he has gained, but that doesn't make much sense. Him and his Ristorazionistas are the kind to want to keep everything exactly as it always has been, not endorse some fake changes to give themselves a temporary advantage. Then again, the College has become increasingly liberal these in these past years. Ultimately, I have no idea.

So it's off to the Conclave, I guess. It probably won't make any difference, but maybe my presence will help play numbers against Cicero to keep him from his ultimate power for a little while. I just hope no one starves to death while we're arguing in there for Lord knows how long, as those old stories about gridlocked Conclaves have always haunted me.

-Journal of Cardinal Hunt, undated entry.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2012, 01:27:06 pm »

Vote for Cardinal Barbarossa, the heathen pope!  :P

As I cannot vote for myself, there are no other suitable candidates from my perspective. I doubt any of you even know the Bear Ritual.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2012, 09:12:48 pm »

Indeed, the Papacy is out, but we can remedy that. Consul Cicero is also a Cardinal, and a well esteemed one at that. Perhaps if he were anointed as Pope we could restore the Papacy to it's prior glory.

Man the grandstands, deploy the speakers, arm the pamphleteers! We have an election to throw!

-Journal of Senator Zrk2
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2012, 12:12:22 am »

Vote for Cardinal Barbarossa, the heathen pope!  :P

As I cannot vote for myself, there are no other suitable candidates from my perspective. I doubt any of you even know the Bear Ritual.

For the record, you're currently winning the poll.  Nobody should doubt the power of the Bear Ritual!

...And I didn't vote for you.   :P

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2012, 07:46:20 am »

No, passing out is winning the poll. Pope Alcohol?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2012, 07:49:38 am »

No, passing out is winning the poll. Pope Alcohol?

Pope URIST
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2012, 10:30:42 am »

The ornate room is filled with cardinals. It is also filled with the noise of their arguing. Cardinal Cicero sits quietly and listens for a while, waiting for a breach in the conversation. At last the talk dies down for a second and he stands up.

My friends, settle down. We are all Christians here yes? Barbarossa coughs. Can't we settle things in a civilized manner? Now I will speak quickly as I know the vote is soon and I want everyone to have a chance to speak. But the way I see it, we are becoming obsolete. We are the supreme court and we control a small honour guard but the real power lies in the consulship. However, as you know I am consul. If I were Pope than I could use my political power and my religious power together to craft a great society.

However, I know there are are many of you that will never support me. The hawks among you, the warmongers, you will not find what you want in me. I will always oppose offensive wars, with all my power. As well, those of you that would exploit, repress and enslave the people of this country with your cruel, cold application of industry will not find what you're looking for in me. I believe in giving a good Christian life to all who will live with good Christian values, be them worker, soldier, aristocrat, Pope.

This is why I endorse Cardinal Micelus as an alternative to me. Micelus looks suprised He will lead the Church in a more hawkish and warlike path, what I believe to be the wrong path, but he will also keep our moral fabric more or less intact unlike some of our more liberal cardinals. He is looking at Cardinal Canalan as he says this, a hard glint in his eyes

I trust you will all make a decision that is good for both your country and your souls. Thank you for allowing me to speak.

He sits down and is silent.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2012, 11:48:38 am »

Friends! Look upon this modesty! The Lord said that the meek shall inherit the earth! Cardinal Cicero has declined the greatest office in all of Christendom! Surely he is the only one worthy of it! Vote Cicero for Pope!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2012, 12:55:34 pm »

A minor cardinal stands to speak.

"What greater goal can there be but civilisation?  It has always been the aim of the Church to bring peace, culture and stability to God's world, and it always shall be.  But throughout history, has God not taught us that the Church must be strong to provide such peace?  Must we not be as a mother bear to protect her cubs, powerful but just, strong but fair?  Italia, God's own country has long suffered from faction and only in these recent years has the Mother Church come close to final unification.  Even though our temporal power within the homeland may be wrested from us, we have a duty both spiritual and military to protect Italia and to bring it forth to prosperity and glory!

I pose this question to Cardinal Barbarossa: Can you bring us strength?  Will you bring order to this fractured world?  Are you willing to do what it takes as Pontiff to make Rome great again?  Whatever it takes?  Consul Cicero clearly will not."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2012, 06:29:16 am »

The new Cardinal's words have turned heads in the College.  Some have proposed his name in the ballots.

Cardinal Cicero would not be the first pope in history to win the title after renouncing it.  Neither would Cardinal Micelus be the first pope to be elected by the recommendation of such a candidate.  Cardinal Barbarossa, however, would in fact be a very novel Holy Father, and very few of his colleagues had even heard of the Bear Ritual.

Camerlengo Boksi reads the votes aloud - more or less spread out, but their Eminences Cicero and Barbarossa maintain a clear lead.  Together, as in a dead tie.  Voting has been reset; the Camerlengo's assistant advises that due to widespread abuse there will be no further alcohol served during the Conclave.

Note that the recent Ecumenical Council determined that all Cardinals would henceforth maintain their titles in the wake of the Pope's passing, unto death.  This was largely attributed to the need for efficiency and stability in the larger Papal kingdom as well as sloth on the part of the scriveners.

The next update is underway, but I've been spending most of the Conclave time on the mod itself to finish it up for a semi-public release (not really ready to put it up on paradoxplaza yet, that needs screenshots and a fancy OP).  Today I finished the historic 1836 start and added the last bunch of nations for the time being.  Once I'm make sure it works without obvious issues I'll zip it up in case and put it up on... ...  >:( some kind of file depot in case anyone wants to try it out.

Also, how shall we handle the aging of characters in the LP?  It's up to you if you want your characters to die, and how they do so, but the thought occurred that at some point over the hundred years this game goes through, all of our characters would have kicked the bucket.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2012, 07:45:28 pm »

A mob assembled outside the Vatican.

"CI-CER-O! CI-CER-O! CI-CER-O!"

The mob was growing agitated. Soon violence would begin, and no one knew how long it would take to work itself out.

My minions have done well, we just need to keep this up. The Cardinals will have no choice but to back Cicero if the mob forces them to.

"Sir, the mob is growing violent, should we start it?"

Perfect. "Spark it, I want the Cardinals well cowed. See if you can crack the gates to the Vatican, we need them scared. Spread torches to, a fire makes rioting ever so much more pleasant."

And with that the infamous Election Riot started.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2012, 11:21:49 pm »

"Good people of Roma, Italia, and the world! Today is an auspicious day for our nation! Either we continue with the politicking and hum-drum conservatism of Cardinal Micelus, Euchre, or another of those sticks in the mud, or we can have a leader that can move us forward! Without progress, we will be left behind by nations far less holy than we, and never shall we change their craven ways!

I have a lot of things going on right now, Rome. I'd like you to be one of them."

*bows, returns to chambers*

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2012, 03:51:30 am »

((Why u  vote micelus?!))

The cardinal Micelus was first shocked, prideful, thoughtful, then completely and utterly mad.

"...No. Surely such a thing would be foolish, no, no I must say no; were I Pope we would be spending our time in the desert building factories and converting the odd heathen. No...a far better Pope and leader of the church would be...Looking around he saw a minor cardinal from Denmark Cardinal Yngling! Surely we must all agree with his great piety, yes? Or Cicero,even if he has refused, or even Barbossa! Surely they have been more active and charismatic than me, right?"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:03:03 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2012, 06:54:37 am »

A mob assembled outside the Vatican.

"CI-CER-O! CI-CER-O! CI-CER-O!"

The mob was growing agitated. Soon violence would begin, and no one knew how long it would take to work itself out.

My minions have done well, we just need to keep this up. The Cardinals will have no choice but to back Cicero if the mob forces them to.

"Sir, the mob is growing violent, should we start it?"

Perfect. "Spark it, I want the Cardinals well cowed. See if you can crack the gates to the Vatican, we need them scared. Spread torches to, a fire makes rioting ever so much more pleasant."

And with that the infamous Election Riot started.

Cardinal Roberto stood up to speak, gesturing to the high windows.

"Have you looked through the windows?  Have you heard the shouts or seen the fires?  One name calls, over and over - Cicero.

"Of course, the most Gracious Consul is blameless in this - who would send a mob to the Vatican's gates?  No holy man, which the good Consul's long record has proved surely without doubt to be.  No, were the good Consul not otherwise pre-occupied iin this most necessary of matters he would surely be keeping order on the streets as we speak.

"Yet the Consul is but one man.  He has accepted a duty to the people of Rome, to lead and protect them, a duty I have no doubt he will uphold to the standards he has always demonstrated.  Can he spare the time, the resources to guide their bodies and their souls?  Surely it is too much to expect of any man so burdened already with responsibilities to taken on further and not falter in their execution?  Or will we see more riots in the Vatican?

"Cardicals Micelus and Barbarossa have both been set up as fine candidates in opposition and many are their virtues: piety, positions of authority and experience.  As the open letter Cardinal Micelus' aides have sent demonstrates, Micelus has a fine understanding of the needs and requirements of Jerusalem.  He has demonstrated himself as an excellent administrator and governor in the region and who would feel fit to deprive his people of such leadership by dragging him away to Rome?  The Cardinal may well be best served where he is - his reluctance does him great credit but it is plain to see that he is far more comfortable in the Holy Land where he can minister to the souls of pilgrims and the heathen faiths.  Micelus is a pious man, a holy man, and he is exactly where the Church needs him.

"Cardinal Barbarossa is a busy, hard working man.  So busy that he has been forced to retreat from these very hearings, a truly brave act.  And as the good Cardinal Micelus has demonstrated he is surely a charismatic man, active and willing to implement changes.  His sect is obscure, certainly, and some might feel his leanings in those matters strange or even alienating, but what of that?  I am sure that whatever the Bear Ritual may be it is certainly a devotion to Christ of some description.  After all, the Cardinal is most certainly a good, honest Catholic as the rest of us.  But this is unimportant.

"Instead I wish to focus on the future of Roma and the Church.  Questions have been asked that must be answered.

"Will these would-be Popes be willing to take bold, necessary strides for the good of Roma?  Cardinal Cicero will not fight wars to protect the Church's interests - he is a chaste and sacred man and for that we must all pay him homage.  And to his credit, as Consul he has all the power of Roma's armies to protect him - but the Church still commands the loyalty of its colonies.  We must consider the threats that face both Roma and the Papal States.  France has betrayed us - they would take these lands and place a puppet Pope upon the throne.  Garibaldi's Italia remains a constant challenge to bringing good Christian government to God's own land.  The Habsburgs in new 'Austria-Hungary' preach peace but refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of the new state - surely a pretext to an invasion of their own?  A strong, capable Church must not be afraid to fight not merely to protect its people but all the peoples of the world.  But how can we make a strong Church?  Thus we lead to the next question.

"Will these men bring prosperity and a better life not merely to Roma but to the Papal colonies, to the betterment of all the world?  Cardinal Cicero speaks of the 'cruel, cold application of industry'.  Roman wealth and prosperity has ever sprung from its golden fields, as well we know.  But good Christian entrepeneurs and inventors have broadened the scope of industry beyond the hammer and the scythe.  This is the nineteenth century since the birth of our Lord.  Must we plough and harvest by mule and scythe when machines now offer to simplify the lives of our farmers?  May we not build those machines ourselves, invest in the prosperity of our economy?  Industry is the key to a strong Roma - to strong colonies and a strong Church.  We should not shy away from bringing better, richer lives to God's people - we should embrace industry and all that it will bring.

"And will these Cardinals preserve the fabric of our faith, upholding good Christian virtues?  His Eminence Cicero has doubts we are all capable of such, but can we be sure that riots such as those at the gates will not force his hand?  A Pope must be strong, willing to follow God's guidance and not the will of a screaming mob.  A strong Pope will embrace industry without making the people slaves to the factory owners.  A strong Pope will enrich Roma with the proceeds of the colonies without exploiting them, ensuring that our faithful even abroad have fair justice beneath the Church's hand.  A strong Pope will not be afraid to fight abroad if he must, but will fight only just wars, will rein in the excesses of his troops and will fight only to bring good Christian governance and values to the nations he must war against.

"These are the questions asked, and the virtues a pious, strong and worthy Pope must possess.  A Pope whose first loyalty is to the Church and its faithful.  A Pope with a solid, Christian background who all Catholics can look up to and say 'He is one of us, a man of God.'  A Pope who can sit in Rome without the desire to rule but a firm hand to guide the people and whose attentions are focused on the Church as a whole, rather than favouring any one place - Roma or otherwise.

"I ask you, where shall we find such a Pope?  Where shall we find such a man?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12